• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Stingray Molds?

mattlinardo

I have 2 Innova DX Stingrays and one has a more convex rim while most I've seen have a concave rim. Does Innova have more than one Stingray mold or do I have a misprinted disc in another model?

There are three I have seen personally. The concave original (same as the qms), the micro bead super stingray rim (found on dx and star as well), and some goofy convex rim I dont recognize.

Necrobump!

Didn't feel like starting a new thread and there's a little information in this one already.

I was just thinking about not knowing if some of my bagged discs had beads or not. So I just checked my current bag and ran into something quite interesting. I have a lot of Stingrays, mainly in DX and Star along with one Champion. I took a couple pics of the two Stars currently in my bag. The blue one has some sort of micro bead (mb) and the yellow doesn't.

Then I checked the rest of my Stingray stash. The Champion has San Marino tooling and it doesn't have the mb. The yellow Star is PFN and doesn't have the mb. The blue one with the mb has flight numbers. My other Stars all have flight numbers and most have the mb. One doesn't have the mb but has nasty flashing where the mb would normally be. Of my DX, most are PFN and don't have the mb. A few have flight numbers. Of those some have the mb and a couple don't. One DX has Ontario tooling and it doesn't have the mb.

None of these are the Super Stingray mold. I had a couple of those and didn't like the deeper, blunter feel and I especially disliked the extreme flashing.

So, after all of that, is there any sort of method to this micro bead vs. no bead madness? Is there any sort of timeline? Any info would be greatly appreciated. And I copied the pics of the two bagged Stingrays below.

picture.php

picture.php

It looks like an older Rim was used for the Star in blue though the disc came out with less of the concave to the rim. I have an old 2004 DX with an even smaller bead that has more the standard classic Rim of the era in the good stiffer DX though it had a thin layer of wax when new and a DX with same rim later in mid 2010's of the Stiffer Waxy run that is missing the bead but the rim where the bead would be is wider then on most DX Stingray almost as if in the factory the bead got trimmed off.

A Stingray in DX was my main midrange of choice from 2006 until 2017 when I discovered the mold was not the best for winds past 5-10 mph at all as I used more power for midrange shots after stopping in 2009, when in early 2009 I was trying to force a Z Wasp or a Tournament run Elite X Wasp as a wind midrange with no success due in part to having bad weights for me with my Wasp discs. I now use a Shark 3 for true midrange and for very short midrange to long putts and wind putts I use my Pro or Star Shark, both ~175 grams.

Last edited:
Of my DX, most are PFN and don't have the mb. A few have flight numbers. Of those some have the mb and a couple don't. One DX has Ontario tooling and it doesn't have the mb.
The mircobead I know nothing about. I know they showed up on the Aurora MS as well for a short time, but now the bead is gone. I was never sure if it was an actual bead or a flashing thing.

The DX with the Ontario tooling I know a little about; I'm assuming it's PFN. When the San Marino Stingray top wore out, there was a period where they ran Stingrays with the Cobra top which is the Super Stingray configuration. It wasn't called Super Stingray then, though. It was just a "Oh, crap! We have this high-volume disc and no mold piece; what can we use to keep it in production?" move that was never acknowledged by Innova. The first Star Stingrays used the Cobra top and there were runs of DX Stingrays using the Cobra top. This was all somewhere in '07-'09 somewhere, don't really recall the exact timeline so lest just say late '00's.

Once they recreated the Stingray top with the www top, they just converted the mold back and didn't say anything. People noticed and the original Star Stingrays were pretty coveted for a little while because a lot of people like the extra stability. They brought out the Super Stingray to cover the best of both worlds.

So unless they did an "oops" run of DX Super Stingrays later, that DX Stingray is just one from the late '00's when they had no Stingray top.

my buddy bought a new star stingray from the website and its the super stingray mold

innova and their inconsistency at its best

funny that this thread just got bumped

The mircobead I know nothing about. I know they showed up on the Aurora MS as well for a short time, but now the bead is gone. I was never sure if it was an actual bead or a flashing thing.

The DX with the Ontario tooling I know a little about; I'm assuming it's PFN. When the San Marino Stingray top wore out, there was a period where they ran Stingrays with the Cobra top which is the Super Stingray configuration. It wasn't called Super Stingray then, though. It was just a "Oh, crap! We have this high-volume disc and no mold piece; what can we use to keep it in production?" move that was never acknowledged by Innova. The first Star Stingrays used the Cobra top and there were runs of DX Stingrays using the Cobra top. This was all somewhere in '07-'09 somewhere, don't really recall the exact timeline so lest just say late '00's.

Once they recreated the Stingray top with the www top, they just converted the mold back and didn't say anything. People noticed and the original Star Stingrays were pretty coveted for a little while because a lot of people like the extra stability. They brought out the Super Stingray to cover the best of both worlds.

So unless they did an "oops" run of DX Super Stingrays later, that DX Stingray is just one from the late '00's when they had no Stingray top.

underline That type of bead appeared on the early 2000's DX molds and the late 2000's Star from ~2007-2008 or so maybe into 2009 as well. I had assumed it was a flaw since the bead was different sizes on discs ranging from micro mini bead to mini bead. My second DX Stingray after losing in water one my uncle gave me, from 2004 had a micro mini bead that was smaller then what the guy with the Blue Stingray has, there were 3 sizes of bead micro mini, micro, mini.

The DX Super Stingray as far as I know was only ever made in Champion, was discontinued, too bad as I was looking for the mold as a new replacement midrange in 2017 for the DX Stingray but the mold went oop around mid 2010's and I did not want to find an buy up the mold at the weight range I like should I end up using the Super Stingray for my midrange mold I use as a midrange.

Last edited:
I think Stingrays are OOP. I tried a Star Manta and it was beefy, like 5/3/0/2.

So bring back Stingrays, especially Champion ones. Quit OOPing good discs.

^^Hey, we agree on something! F champ stingrays though, give me that dx goodness!

Interesting that when you use the zoom/rotate feature on the blue Star Stingray there are no flight numbers... but on the small picture there are. They're obviously different discs based on stamp color. The no flight numbers just caught me eye.

And I'll just say that I'm glad I got plenty of backup Stars (and DX) when I did. I should never run out. :) Plus a friend gave me a sweet Champion one, too. Flies like my favorite Stars.

Last edited:
Interesting that when you use the zoom/rotate feature on the blue Star Stingray there are no flight numbers... but on the small picture there are. They're obviously different discs based on stamp color. The no flight numbers just caught me eye.

And I'll just say that I'm glad I got plenty of backup Stars (and DX) when I did. I should never run out. :) Plus a friend gave me a sweet Champion one, too. Flies like my favorite Stars.

Not a Stingray guy so no horse in the race but the rotational 3D image does have a microbead. Flight numbers or not.

Bummer. I saw a couple on eBay, but the prices!?!?! :gross::gross:

I've been looking for a couple months and not seen one for sale outside of Ebay, even DX are selling for 30 bucks a pop. I might have missed a small batch, not sure.

It might not be officially OOP though, just is feeling like it might be. Please don't try and sell Mantas as replacements, the one I had was terrible. Zero glide, beefy
Code:
[CODE]
[/CODE]

What's the flight difference between new dx, star and new champ?

Whoever posted that there were star stingrays in the store broke my heart.

I emailed innova customer support about Star Stingrays and was told they have no plans to run them at the moment. I'd be happy with just a DX run at this point

Latest posts