• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Stop using the power pocket, Stop it!

You're preaching to the choir here.

Your comments seem like they would be more effective and would reach the desired audience if you posted in the comments section of the video. How many people are here for a dissertation on how to dissect other peoples videos? (I hope you take my comments as the constructive criticism they are intended to be, lol. It's only fair since you have already accused people who can't take criticism of being snowflakes.)
Critical comments typically get deleted on youtube.

Critical comments typically get deleted on youtube.

These two comments are sitting out there from weeks ago. Apparently several people disagree with this dude.

Joshua Stephens
Joshua Stephens
3 weeks ago
Just watched a slow-mo of Paul's form and he has what I consider is the "power pocket" https://youtu.be/sPrUjSKpPD0?t=16 Am I misunderstanding what the "power pocket" is?
Sling Shot Disc Golf
·
Jon
Jon
3 weeks ago
Sounds like your contradicting your power pocket video?
Sling Shot Disc Golf
·

You're preaching to the choir here.

Your comments seem like they would be more effective and would reach the desired audience if you posted in the comments section of the video. How many people are here for a dissertation on how to dissect other peoples videos? (I hope you take my comments as the constructive criticism they are intended to be, lol. It's only fair since you have already accused people who can't take criticism of being snowflakes.)

Oh he deletes comments in his video's if they are not "hype train" level of glorifying his content. Thats why when you look in his comments its all "coach t knows everything, he's the bestest evar!"

I commented on one of them "You're teaching squish the bug"

Then some of his cronies came in and went hype train on it just glorifying the post.

So then Belayed came in and posted the "stop squishing the bug" baseball video.

And 10 minutes later the comment thread was taking down.

I sent a PM to sidewinder with a photo when I did it, he got laugh.

I'm not the only one throwing shade either.

Jaani throws shade HARD on this video about the SS stuff.

me making video's on it will make my channel look silly, I don't have the subscriber following to rebuttal in public on video format.

But the amount of people who want to come out hardcore to defend some of the stuff in these video's is getting to be hilarious. Because they want to defend it, but all sports teaching says "dont" and there are 100's of video's out there that back it up.
And they get really upset in the arguments about it because they have nothing to back up what the dude is saying other than the dude.

Is it an alternate way to throw? Sure.
But all sports techniques have taught us over years and years of study to NOT do those things.
We have far more supporting evidence that its bad.

When you're teaching an effect as a cause, it's not good. Effects are the body moving from proper flow.

Oh jeez. i'm ranting. sorry.

These two comments are sitting out there from weeks ago. Apparently several people disagree with this dude.

Joshua Stephens
Joshua Stephens
3 weeks ago
Just watched a slow-mo of Paul's form and he has what I consider is the "power pocket" https://youtu.be/sPrUjSKpPD0?t=16 Am I misunderstanding what the "power pocket" is?
Sling Shot Disc Golf
·
Jon
Jon
3 weeks ago
Sounds like your contradicting your power pocket video?
Sling Shot Disc Golf
·

From your copy/paste there.
I'm not seeing anything critical.
Just a question and no answers, and nothing really criticizing it.

From your copy/paste there.
I'm not seeing anything critical.
Just a question and no answers, and nothing really criticizing it.

They arent in your face critical, but to me they are both very critical. The one is directly accusing the dude of contradicting himself.

It sounds like there is more to this than meets the eye so I will gracefully step out of this lol. Have a good day.

They arent in your face critical, but to me they are both very critical. The one is directly accusing the dude of contradicting himself.

It sounds like there is more to this than meets the eye so I will gracefully step out of this lol. Have a good day.

The issue with what your posting is slingshots comments are a period.

And the guy is asking a question, and the dude isn't answering is all I'm seeing.

But I mean, if you don't want to believe Sidewinder as well backing me up on this statement, then... To each their own.

The level of defense people will put in on coach t's stuff is crazy, but its so easily just knocked down with just disc golf form basics and common sense.
And they will continue to argue with you about how he's right and everyone else is wrong.

And while you could say "how are you to know he's not right?"
Well, disc golf isn't a 5 year old sport, its a 45 year old sport now. This stuff has all been tried before, and its not the standard. If this was the way, all the pro's would throw that way.

So what happens?
People just throw a hissfit about nobody listening to coach T and how right he is and .. they just shut down.
Well yeah, cause you cannot prove your point.

There is nothing overly critical about the poor copy paste you put in.

He left my comment up about squish the bug for a long while and responded to it going full hype train with his cronies until the "squish the bug is bad" video got posted up, then he immediately deleted it.

In your thing, the guy asks a question and says "to me that looks like a power pocket."

And that's really easy to explain away from how coach T talks about things.
Then the guy asks if he's contradicting his power pocket video.

you can just litterally let those hang.
And the replies from SSDG is a "."

Which means he responded and edited it to a period, or just responded with a period.

There is no harm at all to his brand with those questions on his comments section. They are not going against anything he's trying to teach.

It's not doing anything that would screw up what he teaches or outright say he's wrong.
The dude isn't dumb dumb. He knows how to hype. He's a dude bro.
You know, the guy at the gym, that's taking selfies pumping himself up.
Then posting them on IG to help promote his protein powder, or his workout routine. or whatever.

Thats why literally all of his positive comments are meat heads responding like cattle/sheep.

Which means he responded and edited it to a period, or just responded with a period.
The periods aren't his responses, it seems to be how Youtube comments are formatted when you copy without opening nested replies. Here are the replies.

"Sounds like your contradicting your power pocket video?"
- No just a different explanation.
- I've also improved 200% since then as a coach. My early explanations are not great

"Just watched a slow-mo of Paul's form and he has what I consider is the "power pocket" (link) Am I misunderstanding what the "power pocket" is?"
- Your seeing in and out fast twitch acceleration. That's not where the power comes from. These are just my opinions though. Whatever works for each individual

Pretty clear case of doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Here's a visual difference between the Sling Pocket vs Power Pocket.

Slingshot is basically rounding, but he manages to get his disc closer to center and load the wrist, however he has poor energy transfer to the disc(Smash Factor) as his hand is moving faster than the disc at release.

Drew uses his elbow more than the wrist with the deep power pocket, so the disc gets more loaded behind the elbow than the wrist.

Note that the bottom right two pics of Drew his trajectory is 20-30 degrees diagonal while the top pic is actually lined up. You can see that Drew's shoulders are still closed to the target in the power pocket while the Rounder and Coach T's shoulders are already open to target.
jJ7cW0nh.png

The issue with what your posting is slingshots comments are a period.

And the guy is asking a question, and the dude isn't answering is all I'm seeing.

But I mean, if you don't want to believe Sidewinder as well backing me up on this statement, then... To each their own.

The level of defense people will put in on coach t's stuff is crazy, but its so easily just knocked down with just disc golf form basics and common sense.
And they will continue to argue with you about how he's right and everyone else is wrong.

And while you could say "how are you to know he's not right?"
Well, disc golf isn't a 5 year old sport, its a 45 year old sport now. This stuff has all been tried before, and its not the standard. If this was the way, all the pro's would throw that way.

So what happens?
People just throw a hissfit about nobody listening to coach T and how right he is and .. they just shut down.
Well yeah, cause you cannot prove your point.

There is nothing overly critical about the poor copy paste you put in.

He left my comment up about squish the bug for a long while and responded to it going full hype train with his cronies until the "squish the bug is bad" video got posted up, then he immediately deleted it.

In your thing, the guy asks a question and says "to me that looks like a power pocket."

And that's really easy to explain away from how coach T talks about things.

There is no harm at all to his brand with those questions on his comments section. They are not going against anything he's trying to teach.

It's not doing anything that would screw up what he teaches or outright say he's wrong.
The dude isn't dumb dumb. He knows how to hype. He's a dude bro.
You know, the guy at the gym, that's taking selfies pumping himself up.
Then posting them on IG to help promote his protein powder, or his workout routine. or whatever.

Thats why literally all of his positive comments are meat heads responding like cattle/sheep.

Why are you wasting your breath with me? I really don't care and had no clue that this was a sidewinder vs coach T thing. Whoever the heck coach T is
You weren't honest about that. You just went on a rant, and are continuing the rant. Lol. I merely posted 2 critical comments from the YouTube post.

Why not just directly confront this coach T dude and tell him you think he is full of Hooey. Or pull a karate kid thing and challenge your dojo against his dojo to a throw off?

Btw, my form completely sucks, and I'm a 56 year old 940 rated player who just enjoys playing disc golf. Only reason I saw this thread is I saw it in my welcome page.

Best of luck to ya!

Last edited:
Someone commented that Coach T was "squashing the bug" to which he replied you should be "pulverizing the bug (with the back leg) 6ft under ground". I replied saying you should be "squashing the bug" with your front foot instead like in baseball hitting and linked to that baseball hitting video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37tg5GF39M). Someone asked me for clarification what squashing the bug was and the entire comment chain got deleted. I thought that was pretty lame

Someone commented that Coach T was "squashing the bug" to which he replied you should be "pulverizing the bug (with the back leg) 6ft under ground". I replied saying you should be "squashing the bug" with your front foot instead like in baseball hitting and linked to that baseball hitting video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R37tg5GF39M). Someone asked me for clarification what squashing the bug was and the entire comment chain got deleted. I thought that was pretty lame

They used to teach squashing the bug in my boxing lessons. It was an old school teacher named Lloyd, straight out of a Rocky movie. It never felt right to me. He also tried untraining me out of boxing South paw. I left that place and never looked back. Squashing the bug seemed like a great way to blow out a knee.

Last edited:
They used to teach squashing the bug in my boxing lessons. It was an old school teacher named Lloyd, straight out of a Rocky movie. It never felt right to me. He also tried untraining me out of boxing South paw. I left that place and never looked back. Squashing the bug seemed like a great way to blow out a knee.

Can confirm this is one of several things I tried & had to unlearn in both boxing and DG. In DG it was one of a few ways I hurt my knee.

The thing I never understood about "squashing the bug" ... it doesnt feel strong at all. If I was shoveling dirt or throwing a punch or hitting a hockey shot etc, if you tried any of those things "squashing the bug" you would just spin out on the back foot. You couldnt shovel dirt doing that, they would laugh you off the job site! But for some reason some people decided that this is the most powerful way to throw a disc??? :confused:

The thing I never understood about "squashing the bug" ... it doesnt feel strong at all. If I was shoveling dirt or throwing a punch or hitting a hockey shot etc, if you tried any of those things "squashing the bug" you would just spin out on the back foot. You couldnt shovel dirt doing that, they would laugh you off the job site! But for some reason some people decided that this is the most powerful way to throw a disc??? :confused:

I agree. I'm no expert by any means, but for me everything stems from the legs and core. If the foot turns it is a result of the rest of the body turning. I can't generate any power by focusing on turning my foot.

I have some sympathy for the people who fall into the trap.

In boxing/punching it initially feels like you are getting a strong, fast force moving your weight from foot to foot. A spin shift really can get your weight moving foot to foot quickly. But very quickly after hitting a heavy bag, you find that it tends to put a big recoil force back into your own body, and as soon as you learn to shift/drop your weight into the punch rather than spin-shift or squash the bug it is a quick correction for most punchers (which gets tuned over years of practice hitting stuff after that).

It's even more clear to the body when you try to advance an aggressive punch combination because if you don't shift correctly you'll start to stagger around off balance and the opponent chews you up.

So I think it can be even more pernicious in DG because it's a light object you throw and no one is trying to hit you (I mean, typically). The "recoil" and "impact" are these vague, mysterious things (of they were to me at least). My legs and to some extent are still horribly confused about what to do after a lifetime muscling light objects with an overdeveloped upper body and weak legs. At one point good enough for martial arts and boxing, but not good enough for DG.

Any time I try one of the SW drills and especially when bearing weight it shows that you're using similar ideas as punching (the grounding is very similar but the postures/directions are different). You're aiming to get a high "impact" release into the disc, and not your body or the ground. But for me the learning curve is harder probably due to the differences in feedback your body gets punching vs throwing.

In a way I'm glad I'm such a ****ty runner because it's forcing me to find my power more like boxing. Still doesn't really solve the DG swing but it gives reference points for the movement framework.

That was me that started that thread.
Thanks for remembering the rest of the convo, cause his cronies coming in with the "yeah, pulverize the bug" thing hype, and coach t got in on it.
Then after you posted that link, the thread got removed. hahahaha.
Cause it went from "his benefit" to his determent.

I agree. I'm no expert by any means, but for me everything stems from the legs and core. If the foot turns it is a result of the rest of the body turning. I can't generate any power by focusing on turning my foot.

It's dunning kruger effect as well as not understanding cause/effect of body movements.
This is one I've seen in forehand stuff too with people looking at eagle.

The "knee drop" everyone noticed when eagle throws. This is a result of his rotation and brace, not a cause of the power, so they were actively trying to drop the knee to drive the forehand.

The rear leg spin and knee drive is a result of the rotation and brace.
Though, I had a moment there watching where I was ilke "omg, everyone squishes the bug" but its the result of the pushing into the brace, not the rotating the back leg into the brace. And its' difficult to really see the difference until you understand it.

For us to push with our bag leg properly into the brace. As in drive the brace from the x-step, our knee has to be in, not out. If the knee is out, your leg will collapse, and your weight can fall backwards.
If your knee/foot is parallel to your brace or inside you can drive into it.
The issue then becomes getting up on the brace and letting the body do as it do, as jaani says.

If you're not paying attention to cause/effect and have a proper understanding of it. What the motion looks like is "Squish the bug"
Because its the analysis of not continuing to look for "how does this start" and just going "look at this really active looking motion, that must be the key to what they are doing"

Cause I started second guessing myself as I was saying here recently, cause I was watching paul, and it looked like squish the bug. I know I'm repeating myself here, but this is the important part. It's following anything back to the root of where it stems from. Cause/effect. The rotation of the knee down, is an effect. But its' so drastic looking, that if you dont know enough you'll see it as a cause.
Hence anyone who teaches squish the bug, they are stuck in the dunning kruger effect and will not pass it. As well, they are most likely to double down on anything and shut out anyone who tries to help them.

I have some sympathy for the people who fall into the trap.

In boxing/punching it initially feels like you are getting a strong, fast force moving your weight from foot to foot. A spin shift really can get your weight moving foot to foot quickly. But very quickly after hitting a heavy bag, you find that it tends to put a big recoil force back into your own body, and as soon as you learn to shift/drop your weight into the punch rather than spin-shift or squash the bug it is a quick correction for most punchers (which gets tuned over years of practice hitting stuff after that).

It's even more clear to the body when you try to advance an aggressive punch combination because if you don't shift correctly you'll start to stagger around off balance and the opponent chews you up.

So I think it can be even more pernicious in DG because it's a light object you throw and no one is trying to hit you (I mean, typically). The "recoil" and "impact" are these vague, mysterious things (of they were to me at least). My legs and to some extent are still horribly confused about what to do after a lifetime muscling light objects with an overdeveloped upper body and weak legs. At one point good enough for martial arts and boxing, but not good enough for DG.

Any time I try one of the SW drills and especially when bearing weight it shows that you're using similar ideas as punching (the grounding is very similar but the postures/directions are different). You're aiming to get a high "impact" release into the disc, and not your body or the ground. But for me the learning curve is harder probably due to the differences in feedback your body gets punching vs throwing.

In a way I'm glad I'm such a ****ty runner because it's forcing me to find my power more like boxing. Still doesn't really solve the DG swing but it gives reference points for the movement framework.

This is whats so cool about this place
The perspectives and backgrounds all together working as one.

That was me that started that thread.
Thanks for remembering the rest of the convo, cause his cronies coming in with the "yeah, pulverize the bug" thing hype, and coach t got in on it.
Then after you posted that link, the thread got removed. hahahaha.
Cause it went from "his benefit" to his determent.

It's dunning kruger effect as well as not understanding cause/effect of body movements.
This is one I've seen in forehand stuff too with people looking at eagle.

The "knee drop" everyone noticed when eagle throws. This is a result of his rotation and brace, not a cause of the power, so they were actively trying to drop the knee to drive the forehand.

The rear leg spin and knee drive is a result of the rotation and brace.
Though, I had a moment there watching where I was ilke "omg, everyone squishes the bug" but its the result of the pushing into the brace, not the rotating the back leg into the brace. And its' difficult to really see the difference until you understand it.

For us to push with our bag leg properly into the brace. As in drive the brace from the x-step, our knee has to be in, not out. If the knee is out, your leg will collapse, and your weight can fall backwards.
If your knee/foot is parallel to your brace or inside you can drive into it.
The issue then becomes getting up on the brace and letting the body do as it do, as jaani says.

If you're not paying attention to cause/effect and have a proper understanding of it. What the motion looks like is "Squish the bug"
Because its the analysis of not continuing to look for "how does this start" and just going "look at this really active looking motion, that must be the key to what they are doing"

Cause I started second guessing myself as I was saying here recently, cause I was watching paul, and it looked like squish the bug. I know I'm repeating myself here, but this is the important part. It's following anything back to the root of where it stems from. Cause/effect. The rotation of the knee down, is an effect. But its' so drastic looking, that if you dont know enough you'll see it as a cause.
Hence anyone who teaches squish the bug, they are stuck in the dunning kruger effect and will not pass it. As well, they are most likely to double down on anything and shut out anyone who tries to help them.

This is whats so cool about this place
The perspectives and backgrounds all together working as one.

I could never do a dead lift until I realized it is the core and legs that anchor the movement, not the foot.

I had a bad trainer who tried teaching me to use my feet to support the movement. This was putting too much strain on my feet and causing balance issues.

I did my own research and once I started focusing on the core, everything else fell into place. There are many transferable concepts across many athletic endeavors. There is no sense in reinventing the wheel.

I'll horn toot a bit. Your understanding of mechanics and correlations is groundbreaking to disc golf. But people poo poo back on you though because they dont understand that the video's are supplements. I knew they were, a few others of us all know they are. But people just think "that" is your content, not the 4 pages of text you write with 15 images depicting what youre talking about along with multiple videos. Yeah.
That takes effort.
Yeah, I never share a SW video without also sharing the text of the post it is found with here on DGCR. I use the SW videos with some frequency in the Discord for the U of Toledo team, to supplement in person work with them on the course and in the field/facility.

gaxELGS
It's a person on the internet calling themselves a disc golf expert that basically says every other coach besides him is incorrect.

So yeah, I'm going to make fun of him in a way by attacking his bad information and bs.

I'm trying to at least point out what good I can in it.

And thank you for apologizing for the knee jerk response you had there.

this
gaxELGS.png

Did he even throw the disc in these photos or was it "pretend throw for demonstration?" from what i recall (and i could be wrong) he didnt throw in this video, tis been removed from his channel now so i can not confirm.

Here's a visual difference between the Sling Pocket vs Power Pocket.

Slingshot is basically rounding, but he manages to get his disc closer to center and load the wrist, however he has poor energy transfer to the disc(Smash Factor) as his hand is moving faster than the disc at release.

Drew uses his elbow more than the wrist with the deep power pocket, so the disc gets more loaded behind the elbow than the wrist.

Note that the bottom right two pics of Drew his trajectory is 20-30 degrees diagonal while the top pic is actually lined up. You can see that Drew's shoulders are still closed to the target in the power pocket while the Rounder and Coach T's shoulders are already open to target.
jJ7cW0nh.png

Last edited: