Straight & Flat Swing Plane Does Not Exist!

I rarely grip lock, but when I do, I think it is usually me getting off balance, probably because I am trying to throw too hard, and I get so focused on balance/not falling down, I am somehow unable to release the disc. My fingers are locked on it. It rips out, way right off where I was aiming.
I think that is basically what happens. Try to throw too hard and you go fast too quickly, then have to almost reset and restart the swing halfway through and generate momentum in the wrong direction.

When I was new these were also my farthest throws,just 50 degrees off target lol.

Cementing the lateral swing concept really helped with this for me.

I think that is basically what happens. Try to throw too hard and you go fast too quickly, then have to almost reset and restart the swing halfway through and generate momentum in the wrong direction.

When I was new these were also my farthest throws,just 50 degrees off target lol.
Yeah, I was going to say it is sometimes my farthest throw ever, but hard to say for sure… One seemed going super fast, but it went 90 degrees straight into woods and hit a big tree at about 100'. One I was off balance so bad it flew into the ground 10' from me. I do sometimes get a slighter throw off to the right, maybe 20-30 degrees instead of 90 degrees - and they often seem to be some of my farthest throws, but not sure if they are grip lock in the same way. Maybe still me trying to throw too hard, but just a late release, or more turn because of a harder throw, and not me going off balance.

I rarely grip lock, but when I do, I think it is usually me getting off balance, probably because I am trying to throw too hard, and I get so focused on balance/not falling down, I am somehow unable to release the disc. My fingers are locked on it. It rips out, way right of where I was aiming.

I'm not saying there is never such a thing as grip lock, don't take it "that" literally like most people want to fire back at me.
But what most people consider grip lock is... not grip lock.
It's over rotation, bad timing, bad setup in your back swing.

And when you get those late pull holy crap what did I do.
It's because your timing and kinetic chain finally came together, just it was late. Had nothing to do with "grip lock."
What it actually means is you did some things majorly right, just not in the right way. That makes 0 sense.
But.
It's super important to get your body to setup for your timing and flexibility to cause the chain to maximize down the target line, not 40 feet right of it as you over rotate.

The late pull generally is 2 of the examples I give in the video. And it's almost always bad setup and over rotation/timing.

I'm not saying there is never such a thing as grip lock, don't take it "that" literally like most people want to fire back at me.
But what most people consider grip lock is... not grip lock.
It's over rotation, bad timing, bad setup in your back swing.

And when you get those late pull holy crap what did I do.
It's because your timing and kinetic chain finally came together, just it was late. Had nothing to do with "grip lock."
What it actually means is you did some things majorly right, just not in the right way. That makes 0 sense.
But.
It's super important to get your body to setup for your timing and flexibility to cause the chain to maximize down the target line, not 40 feet right of it as you over rotate.

The late pull generally is 2 of the examples I give in the video. And it's almost always bad setup and over rotation/timing.

Yep that is a better explanation of what I was trying to say haha.

I think it can be somewhat beneficial to see a disc go pretty far without you knowing what happened. You didn't 'try' harder you just did 'the thing' on accident. Or at least more so 'the thing' than you otherwise might have.

I will say that a lot of people develop a form that over-rotates, but they correct for it and still throw on their target line. These throws may go reasonably far, but this is still not a substitute for actual, proper form. There is a lot of power left on the table if you go the route of compensating for an overly rotational swing. The good news, is that it is easier to do it correctly than it is to account for doing it incorrectly. You just have to understand what is happening.

/I know this is what you are saying Sheep, I just didn't mean to imply that this was a TRULY good thing to strive for. It can be useful, but is still a problem to work through properly.

Yep that is a better explanation of what I was trying to say haha.

I think it can be somewhat beneficial to see a disc go pretty far without you knowing what happened. You didn't 'try' harder you just did 'the thing' on accident. Or at least more so 'the thing' than you otherwise might have.

I will say that a lot of people develop a form that over-rotates, but they correct for it and still throw on their target line. These throws may go reasonably far, but this is still not a substitute for actual, proper form. There is a lot of power left on the table if you go the route of compensating for an overly rotational swing. The good news, is that it is easier to do it correctly than it is to account for doing it incorrectly. You just have to understand what is happening.

/I know this is what you are saying Sheep, I just didn't mean to imply that this was a TRULY good thing to strive for. It can be useful, but is still a problem to work through properly.
Something like that.

By the thing on accident, its kind of a funny thing, its an accident out of timing.

The trick is figuring out how to get that IN time and... bam, 450+

When people are talking about head turning being a problem, it usually stems from over-rotating to the hit position/rounding/collapsing the shoulder.
I often struggled with what I thought was getting my head "ahead of" the swing and looking early for the target/rushing. But often the head position is a symptom of underlying bad posture.

I don't know if it's weird head/neck/shoulder habits, but I had major issues with "looking at the shot" and opening my shoulders early. I understand why keep your head down/back isn't quite right now, but it did actually help me eventually correct for it. Neutral is much better, but doesn't quite emphasize the move/feeling to someone who hasn't connected the dots yet.

Now I like to allow my shoulder to push my chin back in the backswing, and that becomes the "neutral" that I stay with throughout the swing—until my rotation turns me to the shot.

I don't know if it's weird head/neck/shoulder habits, but I had major issues with "looking at the shot" and opening my shoulders early. I understand why keep your head down/back isn't quite right now, but it did actually help me eventually correct for it. Neutral is much better, but doesn't quite emphasize the move/feeling to someone who hasn't connected the dots yet.

Now I like to allow my shoulder to push my chin back in the backswing, and that becomes the "neutral" that I stay with throughout the swing—until my rotation turns me to the shot.

The head thing is something SW and I disagree on.

And the main reason I disagree on it is from my ball golf background.

One of the main culprits to a bad swing and swing plane in ball golf is people trying to look where the shot goes before you've hit the ball.
Your body follows your head.

Thats why I say "neutral head position" being important.

You start trying to look or do anything, your body is going to turn to bad posture because your body follows your head. It's not bad head position as a result of bad posture. It's bad posture as a result of bad head position.

The head thing is something SW and I disagree on.

And the main reason I disagree on it is from my ball golf background.

One of the main culprits to a bad swing and swing plane in ball golf is people trying to look where the shot goes before you've hit the ball.
Your body follows your head.

Thats why I say "neutral head position" being important.

You start trying to look or do anything, your body is going to turn to bad posture because your body follows your head. It's not bad head position as a result of bad posture. It's bad posture as a result of bad head position.

In my case, focusing on the shoulders rather than the head was key. It sort of liberates you from "following your head" as you say. Climo is a good example of someone with strong "head independence" in his swing. He looks targetward much longer than most.

In my case, focusing on the shoulders rather than the head was key. It sort of liberates you from "following your head" as you say. Climo is a good example of someone with strong "head independence" in his swing. He looks targetward much longer than most.
I remember someone talking about that with him, cause he would be looking for an insane time.

It's really hard to, cause I throw better giving it that quick look before getting into my back swing, but gotta remember to not look again and drive with my head, but drive with my brace.

I still sometimes have this happen when I transition from net work to outside or when I start to get off balance moving from the rear side.

SW pointed out an overall issue with my rear side that I realized was systemic after trying some more advanced drills. I decided to make that my winter project.

If you're not dynamically stable on the one side, the head often tries to do stuff to compensate to not fall down.

The shoulder trick you are describing never made sense to my body until I started attacking the whole rear side coiling very aggressively and challenging its mobility to improve, and I noticed that my shoulder would start to do what you are describing w.r.t. the chin on its own.

IMO whatever you can do to get more relaxed and patient and mobile and coordinated on the rear side in transition, the better. Basically every player I've met who wasn't already an elite athlete has one or more issues in that area...

Just adding to the pile of weird DGCR stuff, I guess.

Am I going to tell a 60 year old dude that he needs to adduct his rear leg more to counterweight in a lesson? Nope. Im gonna tell him he needs to get his swing plane flat and stop over activating his back muscles to throw. Everyone gets a cue for them specifically. As Brychanus said not much of the minutia is going to come up for most people, unless they happen to be already at pretty solid form and are trying little cues to optimize...

I appreciated you saying this, because it cued something that I'd been meaning to mention for a while but then I forgot about it. Since the average temperature around DGCR is unfortunately hot recently, I'll just remind any readers that my goal is always to encourage rather than shut down discussion. Curious what you or others would say. You also made it interesting to me to talk about e.g. older players & concessions in form when necessary.

In part I'm bothering to write this because I myself usually do all form mechanics work initially on a pretty aggressive hyzer angle, but am gradually learning to tone it down somewhat when I hit the course for various shots, and because there is such a thing as making things too hard for myself not throwing certain shots at a closer to flat angle (I'm personally still a hyzer guy for control and distance drives since my form has responded better to gravity-recruiting more than anything else & it's so much easier to power my shots).

However, I want to call out a potential general issue in instruction and player comprehension.

I think a lot of people have trouble distinguishing postures and swing planes when they watch people move. At the top of this thread, Sidewinder had confronted the "straight and flat swing plane" concept to show that aspects of an advanced move involved curvature, using gravity and parabolic flights, and related phenomena.

Flat release angles and flat swing planes/posture are critically dissociable concepts
I wanted to return to the notion of a "flat" swing plane, and why the flattest-looking swing planes still do not involve "flat posture." I also want to distinguish a "flat release angle" from a "flat swing plane."

If you watch Avery Jenkins showing his motions to throw "flat," they nevertheless involve his posture adjusting back and forth and his arm relative to that posture in a tightly coupled system. He still looks like he has a form of weight shift we tend to discuss around here. You can watch for how his whole body has a bit of tilted axis moving back and forth from backswing to swing:

One difference between him and some other players is that he uses relatively minimal side bend on most shots I've seen, but his posture is still using a bit of side bend and tilt as he moves back and forth to commit the flat(ish) shots. He also shows his elevated reachback (gravity trick) in a couple drill motions. His throwing pattern still involves a flattened wave-like motion, which you will notice is preserved when he throws. Look and see what you see. I chose him on purpose because his move used to confuse me as "flat", but now his motion itself looks anything but despite a relatively flat release angle and deceptively athletic posture.

Paul Mcbeth (his poor shoulder :-( ) is one high level example who uses a lot of legitimately near-flat or flattish (around 0 degrees) angles, and has emphasized throwing a disc "as flat across a tabletop as you can."

His reachback/backswing phase still looks like classic "battering ram" posture to me. This is athletic and not flat posture:
1713296175709.png

He sometimes throws slightly flatter than this, but is often actually using baby hyzers to throw flat(ish) (as he powers down he uses any number of angles and often throws putters or control drivers etc. very close to exactly flat, but that is not exactly my point here). My main emphasis & observation is that he posturally still recruits his battering ram chain initially to achieve this result:
1713296490494.png

Here's a recent example of him throwing very close to a true-flat control shot in athletic posture (4:10):

Player implications? At a certain age and body range, people are not able to move like GG or Paul, and Jenkins' move always seemed deceptively athletic to me despite him standing tall like a statue (which others have told me about). They're all using similar posture tricks even in their flat(ish) shots, many of which involve gravity-efficient moves. As I had pointed out on the Repository thread, for high power shots often players are often actually using posturally hyzer angles at the release, including when they are asked to throw "anhyzer" shots. I do not see this commented on frequently anywhere else.

Something for everyone, or only a few?
I tend to look for conserved principles across scenarios and players, but also acknowledge that not everyone will aspire to be on the pro tour.

Can I expect the average 60-year-old to move like that? 50-year-old? 40-year-old? Deskbound 30-year-old? What should stay and what should go in each case? Etc.

What do you (treb or anyone else) do with this information?

Please discuss.

Attachments

• 1713296225338.png
    1713296225338.png
    889.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Something for everyone, or only a few?
I tend to look for conserved principles across scenarios and players, but also acknowledge that not everyone will aspire to be on the pro tour.

Can I expect the average 60-year-old to move like that? 50-year-old? 40-year-old? Deskbound 30-year-old? What should stay and what should go in each case? Etc.

What do you (treb or anyone else) do with this information?

Please discuss.
Average is a bad word when it comes to people and their individual limitations when it comes to age. Wholly hell when it comes to age and aging when I bumped up to the AM/MP50 group and got to see how many 45 year olds I thought for sure were 10 years my senior I began to believe i'm in pretty good shape for my age. AND even with that I have a load of slight movement limitations. Everyone moves different. Everyone feel their balance differently. Everyone needs to adjust things just a little differently. Everyone starts from a totally different body type/ape index/flexibility and how age affects those differences can be huge, even in people that have stayed super active as they get older.

There is a point where breaking everything thing down to what one can do and then trying to build a little by little to find out where compromises vs the "ideal" need to happen. I get questions from people all the time about form advice. When it comes to a lot of the guys I play with who ARE my senior by several years there really is just not much I can say. They max out around 250' and have a form that has been ingrained over a very long period of time. Some, just from a flexibility standpoint I think they are already maximizing their bodies potential.

There just is no way to generalize and each person probably needs to hear something completely unique on what to fix and where to start.

Well FWIW... i started out wrongly figuring out a horrible full body overswung spin motion on my own.. looking back with some instruction it may have been salvageable. Fell prey to the legend of the flat swing because thats what my friends thought they did and basically shattered nuggets of information. Lots of Beto and More Snap.

The titles alone are enough to make me think
Maybe I need to reevaluate my throw, flat swing plane does not exist, tilted spiral. After getting a few tips over a year and a half ago on my form thread I've been working on finding my throw from the ground up. I have tried to avoid information overloads and just focus on one piece that is helpful and in my case it's working the hips, dragging the right foot as a left handed thrower has helped me find a mechanic that I am missing. Add in a bunch of injuries specifically a tennis elbow issue caused by a weed eater with a blade haha and I am unable to strong arm like I used to.

I have been trying to find my natural swing that is the least hard on my body and it turns out that even a little bit of a tilted spiral can make a huge difference to my distance with less effort. Luckily I have a really good grasp on a flat release because I was practicing it for the Last decade Hah