• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strange things/awkward encounters on the course.

ash81

Par Member
I've been thinking about this for a while. The first thoughts I had concerning this topic where after I almost stepped on a sort of freshly spent prophylactic, and then walking up on a couple working out and doing crunches on the tee pad (I did tell them I've never seen one used in that manner before lol). This seems to happen when I play quite often.

I'll start with today. The route to hole #10 is up a hill through a heavily wooded area. As the area opens up, the tee pad is off to the right, then you turn around and throw in the opposite direction. I'm happily marching toward the picnic table behind the pad, pulling out my new Saint all excited because I had been on a streak of good drives. I hear my cousin behind me say "Cars..." but I shrugged and turned around to see them lining all the way up and down. I focused a bit more and in addition to said cars, there was some wood thing (which I later found out was an arch) and tables set up AROUND the basket!!
We decided to skip the hole, play the next, and soon discovered that they had pushed in towards hole #12 on the other side as well. We waited for the guys behind us to catch up and I asked how they felt about it. Ultimately we decided not to risk hitting the wedding decorations.

I've seen too many things like this, including a family grilling out in the fairway at another local course during a quite busy DG heavy weekend (by the end of the day they were commonly referred to as the new hazard on the 18th).

There have been a few other instances like these, and I really want to hear other people's stories!!

Saw a lady put her baby, wrapped in a blanket, in the basket after the lead drive on my card. I guess keeping the ants off it took priority over serious bodily injury due to incoming discs?

Playing 30 years ago, nearly nobody knew what the hell we were doing on a course. Lots of conversations and demonstrations.
In SoCal....don't remember which course, we ran across group of people throwing sticking into the trees to knock nuts down. We had to skip a handful of holes.
In a recent tournament, the TD had to rope an OB right behind the basket for a turtle laying eggs.
Often run across people deciding to fish the local rivers from the fairways. Sometimes we try to warn them,then skip the hole.
A week or so ago, the ranger of the park had a handful of kids out frogging the pond bordering two holes, forcing us to skip around those holes.
Just a couple of the many things that happen. Most people in this country have never heard of our game, it should come as no surprise they don't seem to get that they are in the way.

Been playing OSUs course a lot lately.
In the past few weeks I've twice found people twice using tee pads for picnics.
A week ago I found a disc left behind.
Eventually catch up with the group that left it on 17 and get them their disc back.
As we are playing 17 we realiZe that they are spending a lot longer on 18 than needed.
Finish 17 and get to 18 and they say " oh we just like to throw all our discs on the last hole but you can play ahead"
This wasn't newbs, all 4 of them had bags and probably 10-16 discs each and were unloading their entire bags on 18. There were discs everywhere and the worst part is this course is basically situated between numerous open athletic fields that could be used for training, instead of holding up the entire course for yourself. Not necessarily a strange encounter, but rude.
We walked off so hopefully they got the hint.

Last edited:
We were bagging a course in Modesto on our way to Yosemite when we saw a guy shooting up heroin. He was sitting at the end of a bridge we had to cross to get a few more holes. He unwrapped his arm, threw away his garbage and wasted no time vacating the place. My brother in law and I were pretty amazed he would be so brazen to do that in a mostly open area of the park.

Heroin is a big problem in N. Ky right now too, but I've yet to see that at my local courses.

I recall one time back in 2007 at Plymouth Creek Park, while playing the 670 ft sweeper from hell known as hole 8, I noticed a line of baby alligator snapping turtles, coming out of a hole and making a march for the creek. I sat and watched those little guys for about an hour. I know that they can amputate digits when they get bigger, but I do not care, it was cool. Another time, at Elm Creek Park, I watched a dragonfly hatch out of a giant cicada's head. It burrowed out, unfurled its wings, and after a couple of hours, it flew away. I talked to a DNR officer and he told me that I was very lucky to have seen it firsthand, as most wardens and rangers do not even get the chance. I have negative things I have seen too, but I will save those for another post.

Walking up hole 10 with friends. We get halfway to hole 11s teepad and we see there's a couple having sex on it.

Firstly, that must hurt no matter what position you're in, screwing on a teepad. We skipped the hole, but I did pose the question: Do you think he'd take it the wrong way if we asked to play through?

This didn't happen on the course but on the way home from playing today my friend and I saw a totally naked guy standing at a bus stop on a busy street. His clothes were scattered all around him. It was hot today in STL and this guy decided to cool off I guess.

Walking up hole 10 with friends. We get halfway to hole 11s teepad and we see there's a couple having sex on it.

Firstly, that must hurt no matter what position you're in, screwing on a teepad. We skipped the hole, but I did pose the question: Do you think he'd take it the wrong way if we asked to play through?

Could you see the pole hole from from where you were standing?:p

Another time, at Elm Creek Park, I watched a dragonfly hatch out of a giant cicada's head. It burrowed out, unfurled its wings, and after a couple of hours, it flew away. I talked to a DNR officer and he told me that I was very lucky to have seen it firsthand, as most wardens and rangers do not even get the chance.

Uhh, No. Dragonflies have a larval stage that live in the water. When the adult is ready to emerge the dragonfly nymph crawls up onto a reed, rock or other dry land and the adult emerges, leaving behind an empty casing. It may have looked like a dragonfly emerging from a cicada, but it was simply the adult emerging from the nymph stage. Still cool to see though...

Uhh, No. Dragonflies have a larval stage that live in the water. When the adult is ready to emerge the dragonfly nymph crawls up onto a reed, rock or other dry land and the adult emerges, leaving behind an empty casing. It may have looked like a dragonfly emerging from a cicada, but it was simply the adult emerging from the nymph stage. Still cool to see though...

Thanks for the biology lesson :thmbup:

I was playing a tournament at a park in Cortez, Colorado. There was a couple passed out under the basket we were about to play to. I went up there, woke them up (tough as they were way drunk) and finally convinced them to move under some nearby trees where they'd be safer. Took about ten minutes to get them moved along.

And at a course in Texas with (awful) sand tee boxes I came across a mother and her two kids building sand castles in one of the tee pads. She had no clue that it wasn't a sandbox.

I wasn't at the course when it happened, but a suicide was found in a tree at cap springs at last years Mad City Open. Bunch of groups played right past without noticing. A buddy of mine was in the group that found it. Really messed up his game the rest of the tourney.

A few years ago a suicide was found in a tree at Elver like 4 days prior to MCO too.

In Bakersfield, the course runs beside the Kern river for a couple of holes and feeds into an upwell to keep a couple of small ponds on the course full. I saw a guy fish out a monster trout (5ish lbs.) out of a narrow strip of still water in the park and went over to investigate because it made no sense. It was the upwell spot and he had two more about the same size on a stringer. Talk about your hot spot.

Reminded me of spear fishing in the ocean and hanging out by a kelp stalk made into a cleaning station for pelagics by a school of small, parasite eating fish.

I haven't had too many strange encounters playing disc golf yet. However last week, I was playing the new course in my local area, and there was a maintenance guy out there cutting the grass. I didn't think too much about it, but then the guy followed me on his tractor to the tee of hole three. I turned around, thinking I was in the way of where he needed to cut the grass, and he threw a tennis ball at me. I didn't know what to do with the ball, so I put it in my bag. It is in my car, stuck in the cup holder. Guess my dog isn't going to get it for a while...

Latest posts