• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strange things/awkward encounters on the course.

Played a short, mostly open 9 hole for the first time last week and found a long time local to guide me. He simply wouldn't believe it was my first time there just because I got 5 birdies in the first round when he was struggling for pars. I told him that the pads were basically upshot points on your average 18 hole course but he still wouldn't believe me. Finally I asked him what 18 hole courses he had played and when I found out this was the only park he ever played, it sort of made sense from his perspective.

Scariest: Found my disc near a "sleeping" deer under a tree in a wind storm. I didn't want to spook it up close, so I tossed a couple pinecones at it with little success. When I worked up enough courage I poked it with a stick......dead.

Creepiest: I was in San Fran walking around the Golden Gate course trying to find hole one when I saw something really funny/creepy. A middle-aged Sweating to the Oldies gear wearing hipster was riding a 21 speed pulling a kids bike trailer as fast as his legs could possibly move, on flat ground, in first gear. When he passed by I looked inside the cart, there was only a naked doll inside.

Weirdest: Numerous times in the last year I've had to skip hole 8 & 9 at my local course because there were woman doing anime photo shoots. They're usually dressed up as something like a school girl or French maid with either eye contacts or really crazy makeup to give them anime cartoon eyes. Last weekend 2 woman were hogging up the fairway dressed as Goku and some sort of karate monkey.

Weirdest: Numerous times in the last year I've had to skip hole 8 & 9 at my local course because there were woman doing anime photo shoots. They're usually dressed up as something like a school girl or French maid with either eye contacts or really crazy makeup to give them anime cartoon eyes. Last weekend 2 woman were hogging up the fairway dressed as Goku and some sort of karate monkey.

That sounds like a good time to me

Heroin is a big problem in N. Ky right now too, but I've yet to see that at my local courses.

Funny you say that. I live in Southern Indiana and I occasionally cross over the Ohio to Henderson, Ky to play Atkinson and at least one person has come across disposed syringes every time. It's to the point where I'm very mindful when I reach down to retrieve a disc that's veered into the woods. Not as bad as the Louisville area here, but a steadily increasing issue for sure.

Played a short, mostly open 9 hole for the first time last week and found a long time local to guide me. He simply wouldn't believe it was my first time there just because I got 5 birdies in the first round when he was struggling for pars. I told him that the pads were basically upshot points on your average 18 hole course but he still wouldn't believe me. Finally I asked him what 18 hole courses he had played and when I found out this was the only park he ever played, it sort of made sense from his perspective.

Cerritos park?

Had a large raccoon following me for three holes. Not chasing, not aggressive, just slowly meandering through the forest with my friend and I, sniffing our bags, rubbing against our legs... It was like the nicest house cat I'd ever met! After a few holes, I flipped my putter upside down and tried to give it some water. It wouldn't drink, but, I sat and petted it's head for a minute until he decided we were welcome in his forest and slowly plodded back into the woods. I was overjoyed. One of the coolest experiences of my disc golfing career...

Until later that week a DNR officer was hauling the corpse away because this raccoon had evidently been doing this to a lot of people, had bit a guy and tested positive for rabies... The DNR officer said that, and I quote, "I should have never done something so stupid as to pet a wild animal without thinking of the threat it could pose to myself or others." ... Whatever. That coon was my buddy and we had a ****ing MOMENT, dude!

one late night after throwing a round, me and a couple buddies were shootin the sh*t for a long while. shortly after the sun had gone down and it was getting pretty dark, a guy pulls up, gets out his car and opens his trunk. he proceeds to get out a bag of cat food, a half gallon of milk, and a bunch of plastic bowls. we had noticed these bowls around the park, but here was the guy putting them there. so he goes over to some previously placed bowls and gets down on his knees and puts his face down in the bowl. he stayed like that for 5 minutes. we were about 50ft away and watched him quietly perplexed for a while. finally we start talking and then we were addressing him, asking him what's he doing and that he is littering and causing skunks to come onto the course. it seems he doesn't hear us and is still on his knees, enthralled with these feeding dishes. finally we get loud enough he looks over and notices us and immediately loads his stuff and leaves. haven't seen him since, but plenty of those plastic dishes that I have been throwing away.

My Destroyer knocked a squirrel off its feet mid round. Came in low and as the disc was starting to skip a squirrel tried to make a beeline for the tree. Poor guy was probably confused as all get out. I didn't even see him anywhere until he popped out of the grass and started running.

I was pretty taken back by "Ghost Trees".

One course I was at had a lot of trees, most of which were dead or dying. Apparently there was also a fair amount of dirt and dust in the air usually, because, when a disc would hit a tree, something awesome would happen.

When a tree would get struck, a little dust would shake loose from every branch at the same time. With a gentle breeze, this mundane event was quite a sight to behold. It was as if the tree duplicated itself and the ghostly copy was slowly floating away. Or, if you rather, the disc knocked the soul right out of the tree.

I walked up to hole 1, Sunset, Las Vegas. A group of 4 guys were standing on the tee, I patiently wait for the tee to clear. There are no discs to be seen, one guy was holding a bunch of balloons. They said a few words, let the balloons go and tears started flowing. One guy says "I just want someone to punch me" so dude punches him, they exchange several punches amongst each other while sobbing over their lost disc golf brethren and move on to their car after a few minutes.

I was playing at an Ohio State Park last year.Walking from one hole to the next, I saw a cell phone with some metal canisters duct taped to it, with a large toggle switch wired in. Sure looked like an IED. My buddy wanted to pick it up. I had to persuade him not to.

Went to the park office to report it. Told them I wasn't sure what it was, but that it looked suspicious. (Didn't feel like being detained.)

Started our second round, came up on the same spot. There was a guy walking around. He was in civilian clothes, but you could tell he was military. He asked if we were the ones who had reported it. Took him to the spot, the device was gone.

Turns out there was a training exercise held by the Ohio National Guard the previous day and someone forgot one of the props.

I told that guy the Ohio National Guard owed me some new underwear.

I was playing at an Ohio State Park last year.Walking from one hole to the next, I saw a cell phone with some metal canisters duct taped to it, with a large toggle switch wired in. Sure looked like an IED. My buddy wanted to pick it up. I had to persuade him not to.

Went to the park office to report it. Told them I wasn't sure what it was, but that it looked suspicious. (Didn't feel like being detained.)

Started our second round, came up on the same spot. There was a guy walking around. He was in civilian clothes, but you could tell he was military. He asked if we were the ones who had reported it. Took him to the spot, the device was gone.

Turns out there was a training exercise held by the Ohio National Guard the previous day and someone forgot one of the props.

I told that guy the Ohio National Guard owed me some new underwear.

Sounds more like the National Guard "missed" that IED vs. "forgetting" it...:|

Seems like you guys are the new local DG branch of Homeland Security!

I've been thinking about this for a while. The first thoughts I had concerning this topic where after I almost stepped on a sort of freshly spent prophylactic, and then walking up on a couple working out and doing crunches on the tee pad (I did tell them I've never seen one used in that manner before lol). This seems to happen when I play quite often.

I'll start with today. The route to hole #10 is up a hill through a heavily wooded area. As the area opens up, the tee pad is off to the right, then you turn around and throw in the opposite direction. I'm happily marching toward the picnic table behind the pad, pulling out my new Saint all excited because I had been on a streak of good drives. I hear my cousin behind me say "Cars..." but I shrugged and turned around to see them lining all the way up and down. I focused a bit more and in addition to said cars, there was some wood thing (which I later found out was an arch) and tables set up AROUND the basket!!
We decided to skip the hole, play the next, and soon discovered that they had pushed in towards hole #12 on the other side as well. We waited for the guys behind us to catch up and I asked how they felt about it. Ultimately we decided not to risk hitting the wedding decorations.

I've seen too many things like this, including a family grilling out in the fairway at another local course during a quite busy DG heavy weekend (by the end of the day they were commonly referred to as the new hazard on the 18th).

There have been a few other instances like these, and I really want to hear other people's stories!!

Check out Aquatic Park in Berkeley bro. The days when someone or many someones aren't in the fairway are rare. :wall:

Funny you say that. I live in Southern Indiana and I occasionally cross over the Ohio to Henderson, Ky to play Atkinson and at least one person has come across disposed syringes every time. It's to the point where I'm very mindful when I reach down to retrieve a disc that's veered into the woods. Not as bad as the Louisville area here, but a steadily increasing issue for sure.

I've heard from the media that much of rural southern Indiana is having a major intravenous drug problem (whether heroin, meth, or something else I have no clue).

Yikes.

I've found used needles by the teepad to #13 at Rum Village. :gross:

I've heard from the media that much of the rural Midwest is having a major intravenous drug problem (whether heroin, meth, or something else I have no clue).

Yikes.

I've found used needles by the teepad to #13 at Rum Village. :gross:

FTFY

Had a large raccoon following me for three holes. Not chasing, not aggressive, just slowly meandering through the forest with my friend and I, sniffing our bags, rubbing against our legs... It was like the nicest house cat I'd ever met! After a few holes, I flipped my putter upside down and tried to give it some water. It wouldn't drink, but, I sat and petted it's head for a minute until he decided we were welcome in his forest and slowly plodded back into the woods. I was overjoyed. One of the coolest experiences of my disc golfing career...

Until later that week a DNR officer was hauling the corpse away because this raccoon had evidently been doing this to a lot of people, had bit a guy and tested positive for rabies... The DNR officer said that, and I quote, "I should have never done something so stupid as to pet a wild animal without thinking of the threat it could pose to myself or others." ... Whatever. That coon was my buddy and we had a ****ing MOMENT, dude!

It is all fun and games until it bites your nipple off!

Fair 'nuff...I'm only aware of the southern Indiana scourge because of the news coverage on the huge uptick in HIV/AIDS and Hep C infections.

Yeah understandable, I live in Missouri and Meth is running rampant here but this is probably a conversation for another thread :).

So back on track, there was a guy walking around the parking lot in high heels at league night a couple of weeks ago. That same night there were a couple of African-American men wondering around the park. Not trying to be racist but it is somewhat odd in this park and they weren't playing disc golf. Finally, the same night there was a group of young men that randomly walked up they fairway after 3 out of 4 people had thrown their drives and just meandered up to the tee slowly. The then played that one hole and then left :confused:.

At the Dallas Tx course BB Owens I was walking to #15's Tee pad and off to the left side of the walking path was what appeared to be a homeless Vietnamese family (or maybe some other nationality? Maybe) of 5. Felt kinda ****ty seeing an entire family huddled in some random woods. That same course weeks later had cops posted and staking it out from an individual that had been serial raping women joggers in the park. They ended up only catching under aged beer drinkers though lol.

On the issue of increasing meth and H issues I read an article this week that was saying that the 4 US legalized cannabis states are taking profits from Mexican cartels causing the cartels to increase smuggling more meth and heroin to offset their lost revenue.
http://time.com/3801889/us-legalization-marijuana-trade/

Last edited: