• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Struggling with putting

Maybe I just actually make the "suck less at putting" series
And just drop all the truth bombs and show people how to build a putt?

I'd have to do it in like 4 sections, cause nobody gonna watch a video of me talking for 20 minutes to get better.
I would watch this 17x

Hey guys sorry I haven't answered here in a while. Been super busy. But my oh my, my putting has greatly improved. I fixed my grip and the way the disc exits my hand. Here's a little video maybe y'all can see anything or give me any pointers

Hey guys sorry I haven't answered here in a while. Been super busy. But my oh my, my putting has greatly improved. I fixed my grip and the way the disc exits my hand. Here's a little video maybe y'all can see anything or give me any pointers
(you forgot the link)

These 2 videos really helped me. If you don't have time to watch them all the way through my main take-aways were

1. Line your spine up with the pole
2. Keep your release point between your shoulders
3. Raise your back foot the same time you release the disc.

The third point may not apply if you're a straddle putter. The Trash Panda video is where I got the idea from so he can explain it much better.

So, Philo has a tip, "App-le Pie". I never paid it much mind. But, same tip explained differently in the second video - count when putting. 2 seconds drawing back, 1 second throwing. Draw back: App-le (2 syllables). Throw - Pie (1 syllable). So, I tried it out. It seems like maybe it was my missing link. It helped me a little in practice, but I think even more on the course. IDK if it is about timing, or consistency, or just a distraction from mind frick when putting in a round, or something else, but it seems to have got me some improvement. I had three focus points that I found I needed to putt well, but now this is my fourth. Too many doesn't help - but keeping the ones that help - that helps. I don't have to focus on my fan grip - it is just what feels natural. Focus points that help me putt better: 1 - Get a comfortable stance, rocking motion, and I rock and lean forward (and leg back) when I putt. 2 - I aim at and focus the entire time on one link that I want to hit. 3 - I cock my wrist at the start, and flick my wrist to impart spin to the disc. For me, this adds pop to my throw, and it also helps me release the disc flat more consistently (I have a tendency to release on a bit of a hyzer angle without meaning to, which often causes me early fade left). And now 4 - Two seconds draw back, one second throw. App-le pie. Others - what tips help you putt your best???

So, Philo has a tip, "App-le Pie". I never paid it much mind. But, same tip explained differently in the second video - count when putting. 2 seconds drawing back, 1 second throwing. Draw back: App-le (2 syllables). Throw - Pie (1 syllable). So, I tried it out. It seems like maybe it was my missing link. It helped me a little in practice, but I think even more on the course. IDK if it is about timing, or consistency, or just a distraction from mind frick when putting in a round, or something else, but it seems to have got me some improvement. I had three focus points that I found I needed to putt well, but now this is my fourth. Too many doesn't help - but keeping the ones that help - that helps. I don't have to focus on my fan grip - it is just what feels natural. Focus points that help me putt better: 1 - Get a comfortable stance, rocking motion, and I rock and lean forward (and leg back) when I putt. 2 - I aim at and focus the entire time on one link that I want to hit. 3 - I cock my wrist at the start, and flick my wrist to impart spin to the disc. For me, this adds pop to my throw, and it also helps me release the disc flat more consistently (I have a tendency to release on a bit of a hyzer angle without meaning to, which often causes me early fade left). And now 4 - Two seconds draw back, one second throw. App-le pie. Others - what tips help you putt your best???
Literally anything that prevents you from imagining physical movement manipulation lol.

I can putt well if I just freaking throw the disc. I am also capable of unspeakable things. I sometimes even imagine missing the putt as it leaves my hand lol.

I don't know why this is actually challenging to fully embrace but here I am.

Literally anything that prevents you from imagining physical movement manipulation lol.

I can putt well if I just freaking throw the disc. I am also capable of unspeakable things. I sometimes even imagine missing the putt as it leaves my hand lol.

I don't know why this is actually challenging to fully embrace but here I am.
The mental side is definitely a challenge. When I feel like my putt will go in, it is far more likely to. When I have that feeling I will miss, I am far more likely to miss. IDK for sure, but I think, for me, having just enough "tips" to think about, but not too many, helps keep me in that spot where my mind doesn't go to the negative "crap, I am gonna miss" place? Don't think, just throw is definitely not what works for me - maybe because I am still new (about 6 months), I have to think about the process? I definitely do better when I focus on the things that help me the most, that I tend to forget if I don't focus on them - same with my putting and driving both.

My take is that putting, like many things, is a bunch of little things. You can't notice them all at once, so you have to follow a sequential path of noticing, addressing, then assimilating. You'll loop back and regress as you move forward, too. In this context, there are no doubt major and minor issues, but what counts is the working through it.

Putting is a pain. There are so many different things you can do putting....sheesh, there is spin putting, push putting, combinations of those, turbo putting, forehands, scoobies. You can stagger putt with your dominant foot forward (right foot forward for a righthanded putter), stagger putt with the off foot forward, straddle putt. Pointer finger on rim or under rim. Hyzer, flat, anhyzer releases. Even how you start the putt can be different..... Even the putter mold makes a difference.

With so many different tweaks that can be made, it's a wonder anyone can actually putt well. I'm still trying to find the magical combination that works for me.

Tips? Don't bet on the horses. Besides that for me at least, on c1 putts finish with your hand pointing at the target at the target height, usually palm up. I found that if I finsished pointing right or left I usually missed in that direction. Putting success is exponential. If you believe you are golden at a certain distance then you know you'll make the comeback should you get an unkind chain kick or other bad break. Because you know you've got the comeback in the bag you're less likely to need it. Putting with the element of doubt means you're more likely to miss short to avoid the dreaded three putt.

Whichever style you use, visualize the entire flight from release to nestling in the chains, keep this spinning in your head through the entire process. My thoughts, ymmv.

Last edited:
There are so many tips in so many places, it can get a bit mind boggling. You just reminded me, I was also trying out the "finish with your hand extended like a handshake with the basket". But, I was trying out so many tips, that one got lost along the way. I do think it may have helped me a little, but I can only focus on so many things at one time, and I think I have the right ones for me, for now. Maybe when my current putting technique gets more cemented into muscle memory, gets more automatic, then I can try that one again. DG truly seems to be a game you can continue to work at for a lifetime, and still have more to learn or try! But, loving my putting progress lately! I seem to really be knocking down almost everything inside 20', and getting close to my goal of 50% from 30'. I have been leaving 40-60' putts mostly just short lately, but I make so few from those distances, and I have been setting them down for easy follow up par putts, so not hating that - more looking at it as an area for future improvement. I play often on a 9 hole, beginner friendly course, and my last 3 rounds have all been par. I had 1 under twice before, but mixed in with 3 overs, a 5 over, etc. The last 3 rounds, thinking, hoping, that I have found a new level of consistency. Time will tell.

I saw "mental" thrown in there a minute ago skimming.

This is why if you watch my video on how to putt better, I teach as part of learning to putt better as to putt with your eyes closed.

I get flamed up and down for this, but when you not looking at the basket anymore, the only "mental" part is for you to hit the mechanics of the swing. There is nothing left but to put it in the basket, your eyes are closed, you shouldn't be distracted or drawn off track.
It purely comes down to your swing mechanics consistency and ability to aim properly with your body, not your arm.

I saw "mental" thrown in there a minute ago skimming.

This is why if you watch my video on how to putt better, I teach as part of learning to putt better as to putt with your eyes closed.

I get flamed up and down for this, but when you not looking at the basket anymore, the only "mental" part is for you to hit the mechanics of the swing. There is nothing left but to put it in the basket, your eyes are closed, you shouldn't be distracted or drawn off track.
It purely comes down to your swing mechanics consistency and ability to aim properly with your body, not your arm.
I watched a putting video of yours a long time ago, and it was very good. Would you attach a link - I would like to give it another look! I have meant to try the eyes closed thing for some time now, but I keep forgetting! Lol - maybe a few months ago, but it seems like a long time ago (in my 6 month DG journey)!

Last edited:
I watched a putting video of yours a long time ago, and it was very good. Would you attach a link - I would like to give it another look! I have meant to try the eyes closed thing for some time now, but I keep forgetting! Lol - maybe a few months ago, but it seems like a long time ago (in my 6 month DG journey)!
Yeah, I plan on re-doing it, the problem is I like to talk and have a conversation about the concepts and theories so people can really connect with the information and the drill.

Unfortunately, people have 0 desire to do that.
They want the "quick pill" solution. hahaha.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do these videos.
I think I really need to just do the "quick take" and the "Extended take" posting.

Like this is 20 mins long and its actually a 10 minute video, the last 5-10 mins is me just putting.

Philo taught me how to putt, and he has never met me. I don't know why, but when I started playing a few years ago, I saw one of his putting clinics, and so much about it just stuck with me. It's the one thing in disc golf I learned correctly, early.

I am still locked on the same four tips as producing my best putting. But, my emphasis has to be on making sure I flick my wrist good. Every now and then, I get in "the zone", and just start making everything - seems like the key is a good, strong wrist flick. It helps with my release, with my aim, definitely adds easy power to my putt - and just everything. Just finished practicing. I won't say I was in the zone, but I will say I finished throwing ten putts at a time from 30'. I normally average 3-4. Was getting 2, 3, 3, 4, 3…. My last three rounds, focused on the wrist flick - made 7, 7, and 8. My long term goal for a while has been to consistently get to 50%. I use my normal fan grip, rock back and forth, and throw from a forward lean (back foot comes up to counter balance), focus my aim on one chain link, and especially make sure I cock my wrist and get a good wrist flick at the basket. Boom - I get my best putting by far. Now, if I can start doing all of that CONSISTENTLY!

Never up never in. A good wrist flick makes you less likely to come up short.
Definitely makes me less likely to come up short, but at least for me, right now, getting a good wrist flick seems to be a major difference maker.

Latest posts