• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

suggestions for overstable driver for average power thrower?

Hydraulic Jump

Bogey Member
I primarily drive with a 169g Pro Destroyer and a 165g Champ Orc and I have a Champ Banshee for shorter shots into the wind. What I am really looking for is a good wind/hyzer distance driver to use at my local course in Portland which seems to ALWAYS be windy in the evenings.

I recently got a 170g Star Teerex which I thought would work because it is rated pretty stable by Innova. It flipped on me every time I threw it into a headwind. I like the disc, but it is not what I need.

So now I am searching for something else, and there seems to be a lot of options...but I don't want to get another "Teerex" disc which (I feel) is rated incorrectly. Firebird, Monster, Max, XCaliber? I mostly throw Innova, but the other brands are fine too.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I think the Latitude 64 xXx would be a good option. An 11x firebird would work too.

This, although I'm a bit concerned that you are turning over a TeeRex, might be an indication of OAT.

Z Predator might be easier to find than a 11x Firebird, but I'd give that Champ Banshee a long look before I upgraded to something faster.

If you are flipping a Teerex, then the Xcal is not for you.
Its just a faster, more nose angle sensitive disc upwind.

Grab a Star Firechicken, then work backwards from there.

Hydraulic Jump-
Good suggestions by everyone so far, including yourself. But you are probably better off if you start with one of the slower overstables rather than the Max/XCal. Some XCals can be kind of flippy anyway.
I agree with Brother Dave about you trying to get the Ch. Banshee to work.
FWIW, my favorite is the Predator but I'm using a Firebird right now.

EDIT: some Teereexes can be flippy, too. The Teerex is infamous for having a bunch of different versions with different stabilities.

I use a pro beast for my primary driver, wind or not. It's pretty stable. I've also learned that my pro valk is pretty good in the wind even though it's understable. I have a teerex a d it's pretty hard to turn over, but as marmoset said, they can be flippy also.

Try a Star Katana.
Now before everyone gets on the ol' high horse about the Katana being understable for you.
This guy says he has an average arm. I have an average arm and I have found that I can throw a new 166g Star Katana into a 25mph headwind and it flies straight and true.
If you don't have a Katana, try a Firebird, Pred or a Flick

If by average power, you're throwing about 340' distance drives, then a Champ Banshee or Champ Starfire will probably be the longest headwind discs for you.

Anything faster than that and it will hyzer too hard even in a headwind.

thanks everyone for all the good feedback. I guess my typical drive is 310-330. so maybe that's below average?? I do agree that I should be looking at the slower discs, so I think I might work with the Banshee more, or look at getting a predator or a firebird. I don't have much experience with discraft, would the Z or ESP plastic be a better choice? Is the 11x champ firebird what's being sold new these days or would I have to find one on e-bay?

thanks everyone for all the good feedback. I guess my typical drive is 310-330. so maybe that's below average?? I do agree that I should be looking at the slower discs, so I think I might work with the Banshee more, or look at getting a predator or a firebird. I don't have much experience with discraft, would the Z or ESP plastic be a better choice? Is the 11x champ firebird what's being sold new these days or would I have to find one on e-bay?

11x Firebirds are the generation of KC Discs before the current one. The price will be a little jacked too, compared to a regular 12x these days. The advantage of a true 11x Firebird is that it is super flat, and super overstable. Although I've heard the xXx is very comparable so I would probably go with that or like BroD suggested a Predator.

If overstable is what you are after, do yourself a favor and pick up an Opto XXX. I am throwing those now and can tell you that they are more overstable than Z-Predators since I threw Z-Pred's for over a year until I got my first XXX. Nothing wrong with the Z-Preds, they are great, reliable discs. It's just the XXX rim is more comfortable in my hand than the Prreds.

If overstable is what you are after, do yourself a favor and pick up an Opto XXX. I am throwing those now and can tell you that they are more overstable than Z-Predators since I threw Z-Pred's for over a year until I got my first XXX. Nothing wrong with the Z-Preds, they are great, reliable discs. It's just the XXX rim is more comfortable in my hand than the Prreds.

Yeah preds have that funky microbead that messes with my grip.

Discraft high end plastics are similar to Innova. Star = ESP Champion = Elite Z. So if you have a preference between Champion & Star then choose the Discraft plastic closest to that. Personally I tend to go with Champ/Elite Z when its warmer and Star/ESP when its cooler or conditions are wet.

Also Discraft has a premium plastic called FLX that is nothing like anything by Innova. Like ESP (star) but a little more grippy when wet and also more floppy.

My discraft wind setup. (no offense Innova)

:hfive:I really like the predator for the wind. I dont think i have ever flipped it and if i have it was only for a few seconds in the air till it came back. I also like the force for wind but that can flip if u have wrist issues. I would agree with the Katana suggestion but it depends if u r flipping yer tee rex with your wrist flipping the ouside wing of the disc pointed upward or if you are throwing it so hard flat that the torque on the disc is causin it to flip. I say this only because i can flip my nuke over and it is real similar to the katana. But my wind setup is Flick (2.5) Force (2.0) Venom (2.2) Predator (2.5) Drone (2.6) and Zone (2.0) It has to be pretty windy to switch to this setup. I still throw these regularly in none wind conditions but mostly for hyzers. The only thing is when i do switch to this when its windy is i sacrifice a little distance for accuracy. Hopefully this helps.:hfive::clap::):D