• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

suggestions for overstable driver for average power thrower?

Predator is a great choice for straight shots on a windy day. For a more wide open shot, a Pro Boss will get more distance, but with more of an S curve line to it.

I primarily drive with a 169g Pro Destroyer and a 165g Champ Orc and I have a Champ Banshee for shorter shots into the wind. What I am really looking for is a good wind/hyzer distance driver to use at my local course in Portland which seems to ALWAYS be windy in the evenings.

I recently got a 170g Star Teerex which I thought would work because it is rated pretty stable by Innova. It flipped on me every time I threw it into a headwind. I like the disc, but it is not what I need.

So now I am searching for something else, and there seems to be a lot of options...but I don't want to get another "Teerex" disc which (I feel) is rated incorrectly. Firebird, Monster, Max, XCaliber? I mostly throw Innova, but the other brands are fine too.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

What course?

In it's simplest definition, it is when you impart force on a disc that is not inline with the intended axis of rotation or on your desired plane of release.
Also known as "dirt" in your throw; not a clean, pure release.

I'm throwing about that range too, and it kind of depends how windy and how overstable you want it to be. I have a Z Predator for my 20+ mph headwind disc, because it just doesn't turn. However, in moderate winds the Pred is quite short because it hyzers out so early.

I recently fell in love with Millennium's Sirius Orion LF 1.2 for moderate headwind distance. Pure throw and it holds the hyzer angle for a long sweeping hyzer (330-340' maybe with my power) in 15mph headwind, without hyzering out early. It just holds the curve. And when I accidentally imparted some OAT in my throw, it flipped to flat and went straight for most of the flight before fading out.

:hfive:I really like the predator for the wind. I dont think i have ever flipped it and if i have it was only for a few seconds in the air till it came back. I also like the force for wind but that can flip if u have wrist issues. I would agree with the Katana suggestion but it depends if u r flipping yer tee rex with your wrist flipping the ouside wing of the disc pointed upward or if you are throwing it so hard flat that the torque on the disc is causin it to flip. I say this only because i can flip my nuke over and it is real similar to the katana. But my wind setup is Flick (2.5) Force (2.0) Venom (2.2) Predator (2.5) Drone (2.6) and Zone (2.0) It has to be pretty windy to switch to this setup. I still throw these regularly in none wind conditions but mostly for hyzers. The only thing is when i do switch to this when its windy is i sacrifice a little distance for accuracy. Hopefully this helps.:hfive::clap::):D

I also carry the Force, Pred and Drone for wind shots.
It's a sweet line up.

Shots I could use a Flick, I just relax toss the Force or chuck my most overstable Pred.

The Venom and Pred seem too similar to throw both. My turquoise ESP Pred is less stable and has more glide than the 2 Z's I carry. Its very similar to a Venom.

The Zone intrigues me. I just think it would interfere with the way I use my Drone. I have liked it though, on the few occasions I've thrown it.

well the flick and venom are my forehand wind drivers. and the zone i kinda substitute for my putter on approaches rangin from 35ft to 150 thats if its really windy and i need to lay up cus i acnt putt from more then 15ft in the wind. but thats just my thing but its nice to here that other people have similar set ups it probly means i m doin it right.

I have to chime in. I have both xXx Opto, and an 11X in my bag. IMHO the 11X is more user friendly of the two. However... I love them both. 11X for longer throws, the xXx is used for shorter/sharper runs. xXx only has a speed rating of 7 IIRC.

You should do well with either. 11X is a more practical machine tho, methinks.