• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Summer Road Trip

Hey Y'all!

I live in DFW, Texas and I'm taking a road trip home to NYC in July. I was wondering if there are any must play courses along the way. I will be traveling with my boys (11&9), so I'd like to play courses that are fairly easy and has low chances of losing discs.

We are planning to stop half way and stay in Knoxville area.

I'm interested to see if anyone has a course they qualify as both "fairly easy" and "must play" at the same time. Typically the courses most people mark as "must play" have at least a couple holes that give a unique challenge.

Yeah, I guess "must play" might not have been the appropriate term. Just looking for a good course to play when we stop in the Knoxville area. Also looking at other places along the route.

Selah kinda qualifies. Houck's short tees aren't exactly easy, but I think they're beginner friendly. Might not be far enough from DFW though.

I don't know what route you're taking. Check out the map feature on DGCR, especially on a computer instead of a mobile device. I think you can click along your entire route to see nearby courses, and you can set parameters (like course rating over 3.5) to filter courses. Any course over 3.5 or 4 is probably worth a play if it has a decent number of reviews, though you may have to figure out what your kids like.

Looking at the map around Knoxville, Panther Creek stands out as a "must play" but it is most definitely not kid friendly. Heck, i'm not even sure it is adult friendly, lol...

Selah kinda qualifies. Houck's short tees aren't exactly easy, but I think they're beginner friendly. Might not be far enough from DFW though.

Thanks for that suggestion, armller. I've had a lot of questions about short tees on some of my courses lately, so let me say a couple quick things. If the short tees are Red tees, as they are at Selah and most of my recent courses, they are made to be beginner-friendly. They're designed for players who can throw up to 200'. If you can throw 200' accurately, you should own them.

A basic rule is that the par threes will all be around 200', and the par fours will be around 400' (reachable in two throws). For example, here are the par threes at Parc Des Familles in Jefferson Parish (New Orleans):

1 199'
3 222'
6 200'
7 201'
8 191'
10 243'
13 233'
14 223'
16 177'
18 151'

And here are the par fours from the Reds:

2 376'
5 401'
11 393'
12 418'
17 333'

If there are par fives, they'll generally be about 600' from the Reds. The par fives at Parc des Familles are:

4 515'
9 603'

The Red tees at Selah will have similar lengths. As I said, I do consider these tees to be beginner-friendly. Are they easy? I'd say they're probably comparable to other courses anywhere with similar tree density, and the par fours might be easier because they generally have nice landing areas and wider fairways in the woods.

While we're on the subject of tees, if you can throw 300' accurately (on every shot), you'll own the Blues on any of these courses, which are generally in the range of 300'/600'/900'.

And while we're on the subject of par, when you go to any of these courses and see that the par is four on a 400' Red hole, that's obviously the Red par, not expert par. These 400' holes are generally bigtime 'tweener holes for better players and are not recommended, especially for tournaments. Of course, if you're playing for fun, you can play whatever tees that you consider to be fun. Fun is a big reason these courses even exist, so enjoy them!

Morristown Kiwanis is about 30 miles east of Knoxville and a fun, reasonably kid-friendly spin.

Thanks for that suggestion, armller. I've had a lot of questions about short tees on some of my courses lately, so let me say a couple quick things. If the short tees are Red tees, as they are at Selah and most of my recent courses, they are made to be beginner-friendly. They're designed for players who can throw up to 200'. If you can throw 200' accurately, you should own them.

A basic rule is that the par threes will all be around 200', and the par fours will be around 400' (reachable in two throws). For example, here are the par threes at Parc Des Familles in Jefferson Parish (New Orleans):

1 199'
3 222'
6 200'
7 201'
8 191'
10 243'
13 233'
14 223'
16 177'
18 151'

And here are the par fours from the Reds:

2 376'
5 401'
11 393'
12 418'
17 333'

If there are par fives, they'll generally be about 600' from the Reds. The par fives at Parc des Familles are:

4 515'
9 603'

The Red tees at Selah will have similar lengths. As I said, I do consider these tees to be beginner-friendly. Are they easy? I'd say they're probably comparable to other courses anywhere with similar tree density, and the par fours might be easier because they generally have nice landing areas and wider fairways in the woods.

While we're on the subject of tees, if you can throw 300' accurately (on every shot), you'll own the Blues on any of these courses, which are generally in the range of 300'/600'/900'.

And while we're on the subject of par, when you go to any of these courses and see that the par is four on a 400' Red hole, that's obviously the Red par, not expert par. These 400' holes are generally bigtime 'tweener holes for better players and are not recommended, especially for tournaments. Of course, if you're playing for fun, you can play whatever tees that you consider to be fun. Fun is a big reason these courses even exist, so enjoy them!

This definitely matches my experience. I've played a decent number of your more renowned courses and reviewed a couple (Selah Creekside, Harry Myers). I think that you're "White Tee" level suits my talent/arm very well, and that was one of the main things I noticed at Harmony Bends. At all the Mount Vernon courses and in Rockwall, I found that I could easily shoot "under par" on red, but blue ate my lunch! Either way, I enjoy your courses immensely and appreciate your work very well. As you mentioned, your courses end up being a blast for everyone, from your 600' big-arm pros to your 200' first timers. Thanks for your dedication. I look forward to playing many more Houck courses.

If you're passing by Philadelphia on your way up to New York, Stafford Woods is just across the river in NJ and is arguably one of the best area courses. Not super kid friendly, but some of the holes are shorter and some open holes would allow for the kids to have a good time airing it out.

This definitely matches my experience. I've played a decent number of your more renowned courses and reviewed a couple (Selah Creekside, Harry Myers). I think that you're "White Tee" level suits my talent/arm very well, and that was one of the main things I noticed at Harmony Bends. At all the Mount Vernon courses and in Rockwall, I found that I could easily shoot "under par" on red, but blue ate my lunch! Either way, I enjoy your courses immensely and appreciate your work very well. As you mentioned, your courses end up being a blast for everyone, from your 600' big-arm pros to your 200' first timers. Thanks for your dedication. I look forward to playing many more Houck courses.

Thanks, and I agree that White tees can be wonderful for all those people in the middle, especially Intermediate players working their way up the ladder and old guys who are losing distance faster than the disc manufacturers can compensate for. The White tees add a lot to courses like Harmony Bends, Hobbs Farm, and Parc Des Familles.

Hope we can get a course for you to play in Moore before too long.

Latest posts