• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Super slow discs that you can throw hard?

DiscFifty

Banned
From 200ft out I like to throw slower speed discs harder instead of throwing faster discs softer. But the 100-200ft range is that distance where you have to back off a little and finesse the disc. I was wondering if there is any utility discs slower than putters that you can still throw hard for shots in the 100-200ft range? These might also come in handy during warm up or playing catch, etc. Thx.

The Discraft Rattler was made for this shot. It just sort of dies at the end, and you'll rarely blow past the basket.

The Kastaplast Berg is also said to be great for this, although I haven't thrown it.

The slowest, most glideless, non-overstable disc I've thrown is a pro Rhyno. The pros are actually pretty straight, but still don't glide or go far at all. I guess it all depends how far you throw, but for me they go about 50' less than an Aviar or P2.

Throw the Stego with 100 ft. Or 500 ft. Of power...
It's going 100 ft. Or less

It's hilariously beefy with negative glide. Once the novelty wears off, you can begin to see a whole bunch of shots made easy with such an insane disc

I like to FH a Zone for this shot. Only time I forehand. Less variables than trying to throw a finesse BH shot.

Discs I thought of while reading the OP: heavy DX polecat, Zone of any kind, Ti Comet. Zone wouldn't be a great catch disc, but the polecat would be fine. Not sure about the Comet.

Another vote for the Stego. I gave it to a few local pros at a rounrament and told them I didn't think they could throw it 200 ft. Almost everyone started laughing immediately after throwing it, it's stupid beefy and has -2 glide. My best throw with it has been in a tailwind on a rediculous sidearm anny and it maybe touched 250.

Aside from that, a scale or gator like disc, like the hyzerbomb mortar, would also be suitable.

Harp, Sclae and the Berg are the best I've tried.

You can throw almost any disc hard. Control your OAT, release with appropriate hyzer, and you're golden.

You can throw almost any disc hard. Control your OAT, release with appropriate hyzer, and you're golden.

:confused: I occasionally want to throw a disc hard but not have it travel that far in distance, preferably only 100-200ft. Looks like the Stego is the disc to get! Problem is, it's not in manufacturing at the moment and they seem to be very hard to find. lol.. Thanks for all the comments.

If you want to throw a disc "hard" in the 100-200 ft range, I'd recommend a beefy putter with very little glide. Something like a Rhyno. If you don't want to use a beefy putter, use whatever disc you want & throw it low. I know a lot of people like to throw up shots nose up & "float" the disc to the basket. Just try throwing flat, hard & low to the ground.

I've own the Berg and Stego and the Berg is definitely the best choice here. It will do what you are asking in a controllable way and not throw your arm out. Berg is also relatively easy to get and in some of the best plastics on the market.

Last edited:
Vibram V.P. Very little glide and they stick where they drop. Has become my favorite disc since I've taken the time to get it dialed in. Has replaced the Ridge for me due to it's ability in the wind, and it seems like there's always wind where I play.

:confused: I occasionally want to throw a disc hard but not have it travel that far in distance, preferably only 100-200ft. Looks like the Stego is the disc to get! Problem is, it's not in manufacturing at the moment and they seem to be very hard to find. lol.. Thanks for all the comments.

JCass said there should be some more for sale once they find them at the Gateway warehouse. I would sell you one of mine but I havent coughed up the dough for the Marketplace on here so it wouldnt be ethical.

Latest posts