• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Super slow discs that you can throw hard?

I've own the Berg and Stego and the Berg is definitely the best choice here. It will do what you are asking in a controllable way and not throw your arm out. Berg is also relatively easy to get and in some of the best plastics on the market.

Berg is super interesting. Really unique profile and good plastic. I've only thrown one twice but it was very HSS yet not stupid LSS or a brick. I want to throw one more on a bunch of lines next time I see one to see if I need it in the bag. It's not as "utility" or ridiculous as the Stego seems to be. If that's a good or bad thing is up to you.

Ringer all day. No turn, will only fade about a basket width or two when thrown flat, and no glide. Will go right to left on a hyzer obviously, but really doesn't want to go left to right on anhyzer.

The Gateway Devil Hawk fits your description pretty well. All it wants to do is get down. Not the kind of disc you pull out often but when you need it, it does its job like a champ.

Berg is super interesting. Really unique profile and good plastic. I've only thrown one twice but it was very HSS yet not stupid LSS or a brick. I want to throw one more on a bunch of lines next time I see one to see if I need it in the bag. It's not as "utility" or ridiculous as the Stego seems to be. If that's a good or bad thing is up to you.

Berg is my primary putter and I've really enjoyed throwing them. In terms of driving, they just don't want to go past 200-220ft but like you say have a really solid flight path that is reliable. I actually hurt my arm throwing a Stego.

Harp. For someone reason I like this better than the rhyno. The rhyno might be a touch shorter though.

The harp will go pretty far if you throw it hard. I think I've pushed it past 300 on a really good toss. Haven't had any massive skips out of it, small ones yes, but not a huge flare.

Vibram VP. Pretty glideless, pretty slow, but you can crush them into a headwind and they won't turn.

I bag Harp's, Wizards and I can throw them 250-275ft. The Berg & Stego sound good so far. But a fellow Dgcr'r sent me some PoleCats and I was out throwing them yesterday and they had much less glide than any of my other putters, but still managed enough glide to keep me looking.

The Stego is most glideless over stable disc you will ever throw. The Scale and Serpent both have very little glide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I throw my Opto Pure relatively hard. That is my favorite driving putter of all time. Not overstable though, if that's what you're looking for.

The slowest, most glideless, non-overstable disc I've thrown is a pro Rhyno. The pros are actually pretty straight, but still don't glide or go far at all. I guess it all depends how far you throw, but for me they go about 50' less than an Aviar or P2.

If I understand OP correctly he is asking about the shortest disc that you can throw hard. For my $0.02, I agree with Clard. I carry a Pro Rhyno specifically as a short driving putter. I have other driving putters for when my objective is not to throw a short drive.

Just to recap: If I could make the disc I am thinking of...it would behave similar to this: I would throw it at 75-90% power and if a normal putter would go out to around 250, this disc would go out around 150-175. I would prefer a straight flyer that way it could hold any line I put on it, but a strong overstable fade is fine too.

In today's round I was throwing a Polecat from 200ft in and it paid off nicely. That thing has hardly any fade and was holding any line I put on it. If that disc came in 200g I think that would be the disc I was looking for because it's still a tad glidey.

Just to recap: If I could make the disc I am thinking of...it would behave similar to this: I would throw it at 75-90% power and if a normal putter would go out to around 250, this disc would go out around 150-175. I would prefer a straight flyer that way it could hold any line I put on it, but a strong overstable fade is fine too.

In today's round I was throwing a Polecat from 200ft in and it paid off nicely. That thing has hardly any fade and was holding any line I put on it. If that disc came in 200g I think that would be the disc I was looking for because it's still a tad glidey.

Then I definitely retract my Pure suggestion and replace it with a Zone.

I use Harps and soft Suspects (in other plastics Suspects are not so stable) for these shots. Although I think that I can throw both of these discs longer than a Justice despite it's faster numbers, as it does not glide at all :D

You could try a max weight Birdie then. Less glide than the Polecat and a tick more stable.

Latest posts