• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee Location SNAFU at Tournament

markmcc

Eagle Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Ran into an interesting situation at a tournament this weekend. The course was a temporary 18 hole DG course set up on a municipal ball golf course. Based on concern that the DG tee areas might tear up the ground, the intention was to move the tees between the first and second round to reduce wear in a single area.

For the first round the front of the tees were marked with a length of rope, spiked down into the ground. When the course was set up the prior day two orange dots were painted on the ground to show the location of the round two tees. The plan was for local volunteers to shift the tees while competitors were at an off-site lunch between rounds.

At the morning players meeting it was announced that the local volunteers hadn't shown, and the competitors should move the tee at their starting hole prior to the second round. As it turns out this didn't go as well as planned.

Factors-

1. General DG chaos. Everything ran later than expected. Second round didn't start on time, cards were handed out at the last minute, people were scrambling to get out to their tees for the second round, etc.
2. About half of the holes had a long tee and a short tee.
3. A couple of the holes (not specifically identified) had no second tee location marked as the tee was on a hard surface (cart path).
4. No reminder was issued at lunch or when round two cards were assigned to move the tees.
5. In most cases the second tee position was within 20' of the first, but for some holes (not specifically identified) the second position was a much as 50' away.
6. The orange dots were small and hard to see in the grass.

While waiting at our first tee for the second round, I remembered that we needed to move our tee rope and we did so. We yelled to the other groups within earshot to remember to move their tees.

We played our first hole, and headed to the second. It looked like that tee rope had not been moved. We looked around for orange dots and didn't find any, so we played from the rope as we found it. A couple of holes later we passed by the group playing behind us and one of them told us that we'd played from the wrong tee. They'd found orange dots about 40' in front the original tee, and had gone ahead and moved the tee. Note that at least two groups had played the hole by then.

A few holes later we came to a tee that hadn't been moved, and we did find the orange dots close by. Two of my group wanted to move the tee, but myself and another player felt like the course had been "set" by that time and that we shouldn't be moving any tees. We called the TD who told us to play the course as we found it and not to move any tees. We once again encountered the group playing behind us and passed that information along.

As we played the rest of the round we encountered several more tees that hadn't been moved and played them as we found them.

I think that a few things happened here to cause the confusion. First, many groups simply forgot the brief mention at the morning players meeting to move tees. Second, players on holes with a long tee and a short tee moved the tee that they were playing from and didn't think to move the other tee. Third, some of the orange dots were hard to locate if you didn't know where they were supposed to be, so there may have been an assumption that the hole didn't have an alternate tee location marked. Last, a couple of the holes had no alternate location marked, but we didn't know which ones.

Ultimately no penalties were called (that I know of) for players or groups playing from incorrect tees. It is clear that at least one tee was moved after the round was started, but I don't know if others were moved. I believe that the TD took the scores as turned in and posted results based on that. Frankly I don't know what else he could have done as all of the field ultimately played from "wrong" tees no matter how you look at it.

I don't really have a rules question here, but would be interested in discussion of what could/should have been done in this case. Obviously it would have been better to have had the tees shifted during lunch, or at least to remind everyone to move (both) tees as players went out to their second round. Failing that, how would you have handled it??

The TD should have asked for volunteers at start of the break and started round two a little later or just have everyone play the 1st round layout.

As a TD, I would have left the tees where they were for both rounds. It's too iffy to ask player groups to move them.

And not run another tournament there, if I can't get better volunteers.

As a player, I would leave any tees I encountered after the start of the round, as I encountered them. It should be obvious that if you move a tee mid-round, you've screwed up scores for the people playing before you, or after.

I'd never rely on the players to be responsible for moving tees or moving baskets. As you found out with this event, way too much chance of miscommunications. If you don't have volunteers or the time to do it before the players are sent out, don't change the course at all.

If there were going to be two sets of tees used, both sets should have been marked ahead of time with no need to move things between rounds (ropes, mats, whatever). Clearly mark them A and B, or Round 1 and Round 2, and then tell the players where they need to go for each round. If it's spelled out for them and they mess it up, it's on them. In this case, I'd put the blame on the organizers of the event (so they were absolutely correct to not penalize anyone).

File this under TD Nightmares.

At Stoney Hill we have to make a lot of changes to flip layouts---usually between days, though we did it a few times at lunch during 1-day events. Even when I'm doing it myself, and carrying a list with me, I sweat missing something.

once you have fouled everything up by not simply marking all the tees to begin with i'm not sure what you could do to "fix" it after the fact.

800.01 "...Players must play the course as they find it..."

Don't ask players to break one of the most basic rules.

That is how I wanted to handle it, but we had two guys on my card who insisted that if we didn't move that second "incorrect" tee we came to that the card behind us could (once again) claim that we'd played the hole incorrectly. I am glad that we were able to reach the TD and get his ruling before the situation progressed any further.

If there is a real possibility that a bunch of groups played different tees then the ratings for the event should probably be thrown out. Might want to email the PDGA tour director on that, if you were worried about how the round rated.

If there is a real possibility that a bunch of groups played different tees then the ratings for the event should probably be thrown out. Might want to email the PDGA tour director on that, if you were worried about how the round rated.

My thoughts exactly.

Since you didn't really ask a question and this is discussion only, I have a few "hints" for the TD. #1 -- it's nice to have volunteers but do not depend on them.
#2 -- he really didn't need to have tees "moved" between rounds. If there were indeed different sets of tees for some holes and not others and different tees based upon divisions, then simply mark them all before the tourney.

I would have just labeled the different tees with different colors and had a small, computer-printed sign on a paint-stirrer-sized stick in the ground for each tee. If the two dots were really on the ground, you don't actually need the rope. Just call each layout a color and tell the groups accordingly: open/advanced -- play blue tees round one, black round two. Other divisions play red in round one, white in round two. And then print the color labels on the description at each tee ... (some holes might have 4 different signs placed, some 3, and maybe some even just 2 or 1 -- but it makes it easy to follow and accomplish your goal.) Example:
Hole 1 - red; Hole 1 - blue/white; Hole 1 - black
Hole 2 - red; Hole 2 -white; Hole 2 - blue; Hole 2 - black
Hole 3 - red/white/blue/black

etc.

They are all marked and you don't need anything "moved" between rounds. Get your volunteers to do that before the weekend, so all you have to do between rounds is have someone with a map and a couple extra blank signs double check to be sure they are still up and easy to locate.

As the TD for this event, let me start by saying that I appreciate Mark's thorough and fair presentation of the facts of this unfortunate situation.

Second, while I don't believe in calling out anyone in public, I will say that we were very disappointed when we learned Friday night that our five local superstar volunteers who had promised to be there (from check-in until tear down) would not be there at all. We certainly could have found other volunteers if we hadn't been assured that we didn't need any. We were very grateful to the two ball golf pros and some others who stepped up to pitch in at various times throughout the day.

On top of all that, we had printer problems and other issues that contributed to the "general disc golf chaos." It was not what we had hoped for, but the players hung in there very graciously.

As for the second round tees, we would have had no issue whatsoever if everyone had done what Mark's group did and called for a ruling. All groups had the tournament cell phone, so I don't know why so many chose not to use it. Worse, when a group knows that another group has already used a particular tee, and then they choose to move the tee without calling for a ruling, they have exhibited a lack of rules knowledge, a lack of protocol, and a lack of common sense that I could not have predicted. Shame on me, and lesson learned.

As far as ratings go, the PDGA is currently treating the rounds as being played on separate layouts. I am continuing to discuss the situation with them and hope to reach a fair resolution soon.

I also want to thank Mark (and Mike Chesnut) for helping to get the tees marked and baskets set up in the rain on Friday. Without them and Michael Schulgen, we would not have been able to get the course up and down for players to enjoy.

Latest posts