• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

I really think this needs it's own space. Let's bring together questions for MJ and specific Comet talk into one thread.

ps. everyone e-mail Discraft requesting a special edition fly dye esp MJ signature comet!

Great Idea!

OP wasn't far off, took about 6 years to come to fruition!

c2aiv7g.jpg

So this is what I'm running these days and I've lost its twin, so I'm trying to plan for replacement as it's starting to flip and glide for about a day and a half. Nice for that rare shot but doesn't fit its main role in my bag.

I never see these listed FS used. And the Limited Editions prior to these are $$. I like the grippiness and slightly rubbery feel of this old ESP. I really like the flattop so I can also forehand this disc. It spent 4 months in the pond at Stafford Woods so that could have caused the flat. I'm also a noodle arm so I'm not looking for stable stable.

Any good ideas for replacing it? I find new esp stuff and slicker. I have an elite Z comet but just not the same at all. Trying to figure out a long term solution where I don't have to scour the internet and watch people double my bids. :).

I already had to give up ace race heats and preflight orcs as they've become too rich for my blood.

c2aiv7g.jpg

So this is what I'm running these days and I've lost its twin, so I'm trying to plan for replacement as it's starting to flip and glide for about a day and a half. Nice for that rare shot but doesn't fit its main role in my bag.

I never see these listed FS used. And the Limited Editions prior to these are $$. I like the grippiness and slightly rubbery feel of this old ESP. I really like the flattop so I can also forehand this disc. It spent 4 months in the pond at Stafford Woods so that could have caused the flat. I'm also a noodle arm so I'm not looking for stable stable.

Any good ideas for replacing it? I find new esp stuff and slicker. I have an elite Z comet but just not the same at all. Trying to figure out a long term solution where I don't have to scour the internet and watch people double my bids. :).

I already had to give up ace race heats and preflight orcs as they've become too rich for my blood.
Those were flat from the get-go. I never picked up a standard-run ESP Comet before they switched to the swirly ESP because they were always too flat for my liking.

There is a Comet love? thread where more people might chime in with ideas.

The ESP Comets that you are looking for were produced before 2018, and probably the particular discs that you are interested in were made in 2015 or 2016. They would produce runs of discs that generally lasted for quite some time back then. I remember the white ones as being the only color that came out flat. Every other color had more dome. I found the white ESP Comets to be the least stable of any comet that I have tried.

The 2019-2020 Covid period acted in a way that an extinction event does for masses of species. In this case, the species that went away were lots of discs that folks were accustomed to easily finding at their favorite retailers, but are now gone. The ESP Comets were already running a bit low in remaining inventory by 2019. That year immediately burned thru what was left. Discraft then moved on to ... making the Comets that they do now, which are not what you want.

MJ,
do you, and other pros, actually enjoy playing Idlewild? or is it just a tournament to suffer through?

I support swhite comments.. And will add yellow esp has been the flatter of the old runs too. I always look for yellow for that reason . The one glow z I had was also flat as was a yellw PFN that admittedly was more like a z e s p blend. You also might have better results if you get a z one that is four or five grams lighter than your current white one

Last edited:
That's an interesting question. Sometimes on Jomez, CCDG, etc. it seems like there are courses that pros love to play and others they absolutely detest. I've always wondered which is which on the DGPT.

I certainly don't expect MJ to answer due to his sponsorship obligations lol.

That's an interesting question. Sometimes on Jomez, CCDG, etc. it seems like there are courses that pros love to play and others they absolutely detest. I've always wondered which is which on the DGPT.

I certainly don't expect MJ to answer due to his sponsorship obligations lol.

I mostly dont enjoy the first half of the pro tour courses. Too open, long and boring to me. From ledgestone on i quite enjoy the courses. Toboggan is a bit of a toss up, i really like it but dont have the power for it

MJ, I just watched the Stafford open and was wondering about the bright green disc you were throwing, is that a Sting?

thanks

MJ, I just watched the Stafford open and was wondering about the bright green disc you were throwing, is that a Sting?

thanks

We'll let MJ tell us, but I believe it was a Scorch.

Loved watching all the Stafford coverage and now I'll have to see if MJ talks any smack in the Skins match.

I support swhite comments.. And will add yellow esp has been the flatter of the old runs too. I always look for yellow for that reason . The one glow z I had was also flat as was a yellw PFN that admittedly was more like a z e s p blend. You also might have better results if you get a z one that is four or five grams lighter than your current white one

I have a flat purple one. I also have an orange one from this era but it has a slight dome.

We'll let MJ tell us, but I believe it was a Scorch.

Loved watching all the Stafford coverage and now I'll have to see if MJ talks any smack in the Skins match.

Not so much smack talk. Lot's of wholesome goodness with a little light razzing that speaks of the familiarity that comes from touring together.

Gotta love MJ "doing his best James Conrad impression" on the long drive hole. I loved him talking about how he just can't move "that fast" anymore. I think most people on here would take the smooth goodness of MJ's sneaky distance in a heartbeat. Just goes to show that everything is relative. Relative to peers, ourselves, our expectations.

Good stuff.

I had two bright green ones in the bag. The sting i used on hole 1 and a few others. The other wqs a green undertaker that i used on hole 2

Thanks, it was the one you used on hole one I was thinking of, thought I recognized that flight, the late flip and walk right is such a pretty line.

I had two bright green ones in the bag. The sting i used on hole 1 and a few others. The other wqs a green undertaker that i used on hole 2

Hey MJ, love watching you play whenever I can. Just a quick question, how many discs do you get into that Shift bag? I was trying to count during the Skins and it appeared to be about 18. I adore my Shift but try and keep it at 14 discs, but would love to wedge another disc or two in there.

Latest posts