• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Augusta National of dg

Mando

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Two newly installed courses laying claim to the title. Lake Marshall and Eagles Crossing. Who's your pick?

Two newly installed courses laying claim to the title. Lake Marshall and Eagles Crossing. Who's your pick?
I think Winthrop Gold hangs on to that title for many years longer considering its title history and the fact it can only be played one week per year. The courses you mentioned are probably in the on-deck-circle to eventually develop a rich title history. I think Maple Hill would still be ahead of them along with The Beast in Finland in terms of course quality and long-term title history. Boylan Farms was probably our first Augusta-lke course in the 80s with Dela in the 90s, although it's hard to pick for that decade.

The two courses mentioned are likely rivals for the most expensive course ever built counting expenses and valuing the labor involved but we would need to see the spreadsheets. Sounds like Caliber in Idaho might also be in that discussion.

I think Winthrop Gold hangs on to that title for many years longer considering its title history and the fact it can only be played one week per year. The courses you mentioned are probably in the on-deck-circle to eventually develop a rich title history. I think Maple Hill would still be ahead of them along with The Beast in Finland in terms of course quality and long-term title history. Boylan Farms was probably our first Augusta-lke course in the 80s with Dela in the 90s, although it's hard to pick for that decade.
Well, I'm holding out for the arched stone bridge at Amen corner...

The two courses mentioned are likely rivals for the most expensive course ever built counting expenses and valuing the labor involved but we would need to see the spreadsheets. Sounds like Caliber in Idaho might also be in that discussion.
I have a feeling that this is the tip of the iceberg. Buy another yacht or build a disc golf course

It's hard to make that claim when most locals, myself included, don't like the course. When there are more than a dozen better courses within an hour's drive from Winthrop, it's nobody's first choice. I do not remember the last time somebody asked me if I wanted to play Winthrop with them.

Too many bad holes out there on every track to be considered top tier that I've seen and or played.

It's hard to make that claim when most locals, myself included, don't like the course. When there are more than a dozen better courses within an hour's drive from Winthrop, it's nobody's first choice. I do not remember the last time somebody asked me if I wanted to play Winthrop with them.
Innova ?

Doesn't matter if you or your friends like it. The question is what course is most Augusta-like in our sport. Winthrop seems to fit those parameters best so far. Make the case for another course in your area. I'm thinking Smugg's is also on the rise with both Fox Run and Brewster Ridge.

Hmm.Can you elaborate?

Every course I've watched on video or played simply has holes that are subpar. Some great holes exist out there for sure, but too many seem like fillers. Either they are too easy, too tricked up, too short, too hard where no real lines exist (fairway), etc.

Even a course like Maple Hill has holes that are just mediocre to watch and I imagine play. Having the right mix of difficulty, fair line, etc is a tough thing.

Not to mention a course like Augusta National spends millions of dollars on aesthetics and upkeep every year. No way can we match that yet. Not to mention many millions on design itself and construction.

Disc golf has a ways to go to achieve an elite type of course. I can see it happening maybe in 10-20 though possibly.

Although it is private, Augusta is in place year long, not just one week a year. There are a few other ways to play Augusta if not a member, but its not easy.

Personal opinion only, and I have not played THAT many courses, but Maple Hill would get my vote. Best overall atmosphere I have had playing DG thus far, and honestly, its not close. IDK, but as amateur average as I am, I still felt special playing there. I somehow didn't feel out of place either.

FTR, I have seen Eagle's Crossing on video but not Lake Marshall. Have played neither. EC does look nice, great potential, but obviously still in its rough-in installation phase.

Doesn't matter if you or your friends like it. The question is what course is most Augusta-like in our sport. Winthrop seems to fit those parameters best so far. Make the case for another course in your area. I'm thinking Smugg's is also on the rise with both Fox Run and Brewster Ridge.

Wouldn't the course(s) in Augusta's backyard fit the criteria, the IDGC? Whether you say Jackson or Steady Ed alone, or add Warner to include all three. That seems more elite. If you're going for a singular course, I'd mention Idlewild.

Although it is private, Augusta is in place year long, not just one week a year. There are a few other ways to play Augusta if not a member, but its not easy.

Personal opinion only, and I have not played THAT many courses, but Maple Hill would get my vote. Best overall atmosphere I have had playing DG thus far, and honestly, its not close. IDK, but as amateur average as I am, I still felt special playing there. I somehow didn't feel out of place either.

FTR, I have seen Eagle's Crossing on video but not Lake Marshall. Have played neither. EC does look nice, great potential, but obviously still in its rough-in installation phase.
Where do you see Echo Valley or Caesar Ford fitting in the list of top courses? I just played both on Tuesday last week.

I'm thinking Smugg's is also on the rise with both Fox Run and Brewster Ridge.

I can agree with this--very nicely done setup there. Unsurpassed scenery for an eastern course as well. I do wish they had carts between 3 and 4, quite a haul!

Sugaree!

Neither of those courses have terrain that is anywhere close to Sugaree!

Mando, all you need to be the Disc Golf Augusta is to build a clubhouse equivalent to Augusta National!

Wouldn't the course(s) in Augusta's backyard fit the criteria, the IDGC? Whether you say Jackson or Steady Ed alone, or add Warner to include all three. That seems more elite. If you're going for a singular course, I'd mention Idlewild.
Being Augusta-like isn't necessarily about quality but history and titles. There are many ball golf courses globally that are equal to or nicer than Augusta in quality of the challenge and/or amenities but do not have the titles, history and influence on the sport in the U.S. Certainly, courses in the British Isles top even Augusta for longevity, history and titles.

Where do you see Echo Valley or Caesar Ford fitting in the list of top courses? I just played both on Tuesday last week.

Definitely in the conversation, esp CF, with the multiple tees and pin placements on every hole. Great finishing hole and built-in arena seating too. The concession area has not been open once the 4 times I have played there though. Don't know if its COVID or something else.

EV is a top local course, but IMHO, just a half step below CF. (No death threats please, just one person's opinion). :)

The potential for both sure is there, but as public parks, I don't see either one ever getting to elite/Augusta style status. I could see either one hosting A tiers though, maybe even being part of a major. Would love that for sure. Both are within 45 minutes for me.

I think Winthrop Gold hangs on to that title for many years longer considering its title history and the fact it can only be played one week per year. The courses you mentioned are probably in the on-deck-circle to eventually develop a rich title history. I think Maple Hill would still be ahead of them along with The Beast in Finland in terms of course quality and long-term title history. Boylan Farms was probably our first Augusta-like course in the 80s with Dela in the 90s, although it's hard to pick for that decade.
I often tell people that the USDGC is The Masters of disc golf with some U.S. Open thrown in. The event and the caliber of players and the incredible volunteers make this happen, but I think it is more of the total package of the ambience and event than just the course.

Latest posts