• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Augusta National of dg

I can't count how many times I've talked to or corresponded with someone who's traveling through the Carolinas, and has Winthrop on their must-play list. I have to caution them that, without the rope, haybales, and other features, it's not the same course as they've seen watching the USDGC. Not nearly the same.

That cuts both ways in the discussion; the fact that they want to play it reflects that it's sort of legendary; the fact that it only exists in its legendary form for a couple of weeks each year is quite different from Augusta National, which is always there (if you can wrangle your way onto it).

The two courses mentioned are likely rivals for the most expensive course ever built counting expenses and valuing the labor involved but we would need to see the spreadsheets. Sounds like Caliber in Idaho might also be in that discussion.

I thought PDF, in the $500,000 +/- range held that title. What kind of money are we talking about to win that prize?

Sounds like Eagles Crossing may have consumed over $500K and counting based on comments from those in the know.

Not that I am unthankful someone is willing to spend that kind of coin on DG, and maybe this is a stupid question, but...why?

I cannot foresee any scenario where this will ever be financially profitable. If it cost that much to create, it will surely cost quite a lot to maintain as well. Even at $25/pop, one is looking at bleeding money.

My understanding is the owner doesn't even play? As far as hosting worlds or some other major, seems like those are not money making endeavors only, except for the communities involved, not the courses...

Anyone have any insight?

Not that I am unthankful someone is willing to spend that kind of coin on DG, and maybe this is a stupid question, but...why?

I cannot foresee any scenario where this will ever be financially profitable. If it cost that much to create, it will surely cost quite a lot to maintain as well. Even at $25/pop, one is looking at bleeding money.

My understanding is the owner doesn't even play? As far as hosting worlds or some other major, seems like those are not money making endeavors only, except for the communities involved, not the courses...

Anyone have any insight?
This is just a grander example of those who can afford to create private courses and enjoy the game even if they don't play. Few private courses are known to produce net positive income when all capital and operating expenses are considered, especially when accounting for time expended and land value.

Last edited:
I can't help but think that a ski resort will step up with a world-class dg complex that will take the cake,with upscale infrastructure already in place.

I can't help but think that a ski resort will step up with a world-class dg complex that will take the cake,with upscale infrastructure already in place.

mont du lac is the closest i can think of that ive been to but still a ways out from a world class standard

i mean whatever the world class standard is defined as

There's a new course going into SnowStar ski resort that will supposedly be the flagship course of the Quad Cities (over courses like Camden II, Devils Glen, Middle Park). Not saying that this will be a world-class DG complex, but I think courses on ski resorts are going to keep popping up and the topography should lend to some incredible holes and landscapes.

The more I think about this, the more the Beast in Nokia, Finland comes to mind. The stage/history (hosts the European Open) and the aesthetics are great, similar to Augusta. It doesn't have the design features of Augusta, but those seem to be the less noticeable qualities of Augusta.

From what I gathered when I played Sugarbush several years ago, the designers were not allowed to remove any trees. That's too bad because that place had world-class potential that was never realized.

As far as hosting worlds or some other major, seems like those are not money making endeavors only, except for the communities involved, not the courses...

Do the communities involved make money? Even for an event like worlds, aren't most of the spectators local? How many of the pros sleep in their car or some friend's sofa?

Whatever the answer, I think lots of communities view events like these similar to their version of hosting the Olympics, something done for civic pride or quality of life that ends up costing them money but they they are okay with the cost.

As for courses, municipal ones aren't designed to be profitable any more than playgrounds and walking paths are designed to be profitable. Jefferson Parish was apparently okay with the expense of their course at Parc des Familles (pronounced: park day fuhmee).

I can't imagine that any well-maintained private course could earn a much of a profit as a standalone attraction. It seems that you would need to: 1) minimize the expense of upkeep anyway that you could; 2) draw lots of players; and, 3) charge a fair price (which many disc golfers won't pay and will consider a "con").

Latest posts