• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Best Challenger Plastic

What type of Challenger is the best

• Total voters
The ESP/FLX is more OS than the glo ones are. I had the same experience as you with one of those a couple years ago. Bought one thinking it would be more OS and it was a flip machine. The esp's are more like a slightly used Pro-d. Will resist turnover but don't have a lot of fade. The best throwing plastic is probly the Cryztal Z if you can find one. The pro-d, in my experience, was the most OS when new but quickly lost the fade. The cryztal coming a close second. Ive thrown D, cryz, limited Z(which are also nice if you can find some) flx glo, and the espflx. Havent thrown the x, xsoft or jawbreaker.

Last edited:
Oops also had a regular Ti which was basically a neutral flight. But that was one of the original run they brought down to BG Ams a couple years ago.

Last edited:
I guess I should probably add that my Cryz was the older stiffer cryz plastic. It was from '09ish iirc. Just happened to get lucky that one of the local guys had saved one from a tourney. It was also slightly puddle topped.

^^^ Try tossing that Ti FLX yet?

Anyone find the other FLX plastics (Ti, Z, ESP) flippy? I was thinking of buying up a bunch of the OOP ESP FLX, but not if it flies like the Glo Flx.

I threw my Ti FLX a little bit at the range (i.e. schoolyard). It wasn't flippy, but it was a bit straighter for longer in comparison to the Jawbreaker Challenger. Admittedly I did not throw with full-on power, but between two rows of trees for accuracy and some distance. I would imagine that with seasoning, the Ti FLX Challenger would be come even straighter, perhaps begin turning (and turning over?), and not have as much fade.

I like the regular ESP putters like the Ace Race Focus and the Banger GT. I think the Challenger would be a nice addition in regular ESP. I like the FLX in cooler weather, but in summer time they are just to floppy

After hearing you guys talk about the Z challenger, Im deff looking for one. I tried the Gold Line money putter which is like discrafts Z and loved the way the plastic felt...now i just have to find one thats not $25 bucks or had an ugly tourny stamp on it lol

I'm guessing they never made an ESP Challenger. I'd jizz my pants if they did as it's the best platic I've played with.

I'm gonna have to order some new challengers for driving into rocks and trees and have a lil more over stable to them. I have a soft x which is awesome and a bunch of pro Ds. I want a couple that are a lil more overstable and I can rip on for like 300' if that's even possible. Is the Crytal good for that? I think a soft x new can do that but I want something that will last a few years like star or champ type plastic can do.

Last edited:
I use a flx challenger for all of my upshots. It's a good bit more overstable than my pro d challengers and won't ding up if you manage to hit a tree.
These words... straight from my mouth he did take them.

Wow, I got quoted from 5 years ago.
Time sure does fly by quick. Wish I could edit this thread and update the poll without creating another thread. There a several new plastics out ti, ti flx, crystal, crystal flx, z flx, jawbreaker, and possibly more. I may have replaced my challenger with ions, but I still practice and use them from time to time. Hit my last ace with a challenger in 2015. We have made some crazy shots together. Maybe when this deep snow melts and temps warm up I can get out and make a comparison video of the plastics I have left. Looks like I need to purchase more variants since all I have are ESP FLX , crystal FLX, crystal, and Z. Woo Hoo more putters!

I have a Z Flx i like fairly well, love the feel and stability of the Challengers- just don't like the feel of the bead for FH upshots-

my endless quest for the do it all putter continues

If this poll were done brand new today, it would need to include the Jawbreaker plastic. Jawbreaker is IMHO far and away the best plastic for the Challenger.

^^^agreed. Since my last post on this thread I've been able to try out most of the plastics (still haven't gotten my hands on Cryztal, though ) and Jawbreaker is equally great for upshots and putting. Comparable OS to D plastic, grippy and durable for a near baseline.

I picked up one of these 2005 Cryztal Challengers on Marshall Street during a recent purchase. I'm a fan of the old Cryztal plastic. Basically feels like Z... you know the stuff. $20 for a 2005 Cryztal Challenger seemed like not too bad a deal. I have tried the new Z FLX Challengers, which seem a bit flippy for Chally's. This one is more overstable, more like what I was looking for in a Challenger. They go back up to $25 after February, so I wanted to let Challenger fans everywhere know, in case they're looking to buy plastic.

Have fun.

... I'm a fan of the old Cryztal plastic. Basically feels like Z...

I have an old, very firm Cryztal Zone, I'm guessing pre 2010, that I snagged from deadstock. It was super clear and colorless. Looked like glass. This was when I started dg'ing again in 2013 and all the Cryztal I felt around that time and since has much more give to it.

Is that the main difference from the old and new? Old Cryztal was like the Jolly Launcher Innova put out in 2015 and the new Cryztal is a clear plastic that falls somewhere inbetween Z and Z FLX? For archival purposes, do you know when the change came about?

Don't know much about when the change happened. I got a Discraft Premium misprint pack in 2015 or so and the Cryztal was nice and clear but a little gummy, definitely more so than Z. Not bad, but not as firm as I was expecting. I then got a Cryztal Buzzz recently that felt even more gummy, closer to some Z FLX that I've had. Now that Buzzz has grown on me a lot.

Seems like with all plastics there are lots of changes. I wanted to mention these Challengers cuz I haven't handled much of the "old" cryztal, and I'd love to throw more discs in it. I only bought one and it's already a nice thrower and feels like it will just get nicer as it breaks in.

Anybody thrown the new ESP or Ti Chally's? I have a Cryztal that I like a lot but curious if either of those would work as a cheaper backup.

Latest posts