• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Best Challenger Plastic

What type of Challenger is the best

• Total voters
My pro d usually lasts about two years in a cycle. Playing 3-10 rounds a week and as my only putter mold and plastic. Drive and approach a ton with them on heavily wooded courses. I just never get the bs about pro d only lasting two rounds and being horrible. I have purchased 15 over the last few years and though 1 or 2 may be slightly softer they are all quite similar and long lasting. The dings smooth out with use and just add to the disc's battle scarred bad a$$ness!

I had to go with D, but do wish I didn't have to replace them so often. The chastity belt on Innova baskets eats right through them.

My pro d usually lasts about two years in a cycle. Playing 3-10 rounds a week and as my only putter mold and plastic. Drive and approach a ton with them on heavily wooded courses. I just never get the bs about pro d only lasting two rounds and being horrible. I have purchased 15 over the last few years and though 1 or 2 may be slightly softer they are all quite similar and long lasting. The dings smooth out with use and just add to the disc's battle scarred bad a$$ness!

how hard/far do you throw? pro d bends and dings up very quick. i play in heavy wooded courses here in mn. i would throw a flx over a pro d all day

bump 2015.
just bought 2 elite x soft challengers to give to a couple newbies, but they cancelled, so I have these to play around with.
these things are pretty sweet! I like em more for upshots than putting, but not bad at all.

the plastic is floppy but not the worst I've felt. But the plastic feels really really good, like old san marino type.

Just curious what does Nate Doss use for drives/upshots? That seems super straight when he throws.

The only plastic I've tried is the Pro-D. I like the stiffness and it threw well for me. Only problem was that I only used it for putting in the circle, and it still was beat up after only one round, just from the chains of the baskets. When I see other plastics at the stores, I give them a look (and feel in my hand), but none were firm like the Pro-D.

I use the Banger in Pro-D and it's really disappointing how quickly it wears down. I only use the Pro-D for putting. I like how stiff the plastic is but Discraft needs to come out with a more durable blend. Something like Innova's KC Pro or Prodigy's 350g. I just don't understand how a company like Discraft can't offer this.

Discraft's Pro D has gotten junky, used to be good stuff. Flx Challengers fly nice and have good glide. I don't know about putting with them though.

Discraft's Pro D has gotten junky, used to be good stuff.

It's to the point that I consider switching to putting with 350g PA2's. Similar flight, different feel, much better plastic.

Yup the old bar stamp Pro Ds were sweet. I stopped throwing them when the Ion cam out. I revisited it since, and they are not nearly as good, especially off the tee. The older stiffer cryztal was pretty good.

It's to the point that I consider switching to putting with 350g PA2's. Similar flight, different feel, much better plastic.

Ok, I've had time to sober up. I will never stop putting with a Banger. :D

the really slick stiff old black pro D plastic. Had a 160g one that was my first putter ever. Still sad that i dont have that disc anymore.

dang, I wanted to like these challengers, but they're just not consistent, or I don't know how to use em. If anyone wants to trade these for some dx 150's drivers let me know.

What about the CT's?

Those have been of the most interest to me, but I'm not paying $20 for a putter when I can get Wizards a lot cheaper and they work great.

What would you all say are the best now? Z FLX and Jawbreaker are now in production. What's best for putting? For drives?

I don't like the Z FLX for drives, too floppy. It does make a good approach disc (<150') since it sticks to where it lands.

Jawbreaker shares the same feel as Pro-D, but is much more durable and a touch firmer.

What would you all say are the best now? Z FLX and Jawbreaker are now in production. What's best for putting? For drives?

To make a short story long: last year (2015) I tried the Challenger. Liked the putter, the Pro-D plastic was nice and firm, but the Pro-D plastic did not last hardly two rounds. Really nicked up just from throwing into the chains for 36 holes. All other plastics were too soft for my liking. I got a Titanium FLX (misprint), and while I love Titanium plastic, the"FLX" made it too soft for my liking. Alas, foiled again.

Then came the Jawbreaker plastic. It's a lot like Classic Blend/Zero Medium from Trilogy. Classic Blend starts out nice and firm like I like, but with use it softens up... so I went to Classic (Hard)/Zero Hard, and I really like that.

But I tried a Jawbreaker Challenger, and then got a second one. The Jawbreaker plastic is more durable than Pro-D... I've been using my Jawbreaker Challenger for several weeks now, and it's about like Classic Blend (and Classic) in the wear-and-tear department, which is okay.

In addition, the Jawbreaker plastic has held up in firmness, so far. Feels as firm as when it started out. That may change over time, but so far I'm happy with the Jawbreaker plastic, and I'm having a 'putting honeymoon' with it.

I can't speak for throwing (i.e. not just putting) with it, as I don't use it as a throwing putter. If I were to adopt the Challenger as my primary putter, I might give the Titanium FLX another go as a throwing putter, though, just to have the same mold....

As ever: JMHO, YMMV.

.........I can't speak for throwing (i.e. not just putting) with it, as I don't use it as a throwing putter. If I were to adopt the Challenger as my primary putter, I might give the Titanium FLX another go as a throwing putter, though, just to have the same mold....

As ever: JMHO, YMMV.

^^^ Try tossing that Ti FLX yet? Looking to use Challengers for upshots (Standstills/slow x-steps in the 150-200ish range), so lunch break today was spent testing the plastics I currently have in the park.

Jawbreaker, Soft X, Ct Glo: These all flew pretty close for me. Low power flat releases floated perfectly straight with the tiniest fade at the end. A whisper of an anny kept these dead straight till the ground. I play rocky courses so I'd have to replace these too frequently to use in this slot.

Glo Flx: They ran these awhile back. Came in aqua blue, pink, and white. I bought two in the hope they would be my new throwing putter to complement my Jawbreakers for putting, but found these to be substantially more understable. Thrown with the same power, I needed to put a 20 degree hyzer to get the same result as the aforementioned plastics.

Anyone find the other FLX plastics (Ti, Z, ESP) flippy? I was thinking of buying up a bunch of the OOP ESP FLX, but not if it flies like the Glo Flx.