• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Big Island (8/9 - 8/22)

BADman

Eagle Member
Hey guys!

The girlfriend and I will be vacationing out in HI next month, and I was hoping to find a few opinions on the courses I see out there on the dgcr map. It would be awesome to find a guide out there as well, but Im going to try it out either way ;)

Thank for the read!

we're going in November so I'm also interested in this info. I've been searching around on-line and was able to find this. Haven't e-mailed them yet, but I really want to play the course in Wailoa if it's set-up while we are there.

http://yb3d.com/hawaii.html

Anyone ever find out any information on courses on the big island of Hawaii? I'm heading there in a few days.

Aloha,

There are no permanent basket courses that I know of on the island. When the Hawaii Castaways hold events they set up temporaries and also have some BunkaJins (sp), which are like bamboo wind chimes. They set up at Mackenzie State park in Puna and Wailoa in Hilo. You can see a BunkaJin on the front page of their website.

I believe that Wailoa object course in Hilo has a map up on the web somewhere. I played it once without a guide and don't really think I found all the pins (palm trees mostly) properly. It was dry that day (unusual for Hilo) but we walked to one of our drives on one hole (grassy field, reasonably mowed) and sank up to our ankles in camouflaged mud. Still it was a fun course, it crosses water several times. Their website says bring trunks to retrieve wet discs, but I also saw signs saying it was illegal to go in the water. I don't know if that's true or not, but I left one behind because of the signs and lots of people being around.

Check out HDGA.org for links to the clubs' website and other islands clubs. Hawaii state championships were held this weekend on Maui. There is one basket course there at Kapalua (27 holes I think) and they use a private course too. HDGA in Honolulu has the most events (that are publicized at lest), including a monthly with temporary basket courses. Other than that we play a lot of object golf in hawaii. In honolulu we are still trying to find a site for our first basket course (we have all the resources except the land). It's tough to schelp around 18 baskets each month.

Hope you have a fine time in the islands.

Sandbot

ps my first post

I just wrote a review for the Big Island at Wailoa State Park fyi. I might be able to get you connected with someone there as well to play with. It is in Hilo, HI

I have also played on Maui and Oahu. My inlaws live in Oahu so I have spent a lot of time there and will be playing the last two remaining courses on that island this december. Once complete, there will only be two courses on all the islands, including temp spots, that I have not played.

Last edited:

Latest posts