• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dreaded Anhyzer Hole

bazillion

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
OK, so we're talking about the long placement on #13 at Dolese Youth Park in Oklahoma City. (The pics that are labeled #13 are actually of #15, so don't go by them.) Here's what it looks like:

picture.php

The tee shot comes out of a wooded area and then you have two choices. You can hit a low (10') tunnel shot through a 20-foot gap that's maybe 100 feet in front of you or you can throw a towering anhyzer over the trees that form the left side of the gap.

Either way, your disc will need to annie around the woods on the right of the gap to a pin that's another 40 feet out and then a hard right turn for another 60 or so feet. Basically flat for the first half of the hole, slight downhill to the pin.

The problem comes with the wind, which half the time blows south-to-north (right-to-left) against your line on the second half of its flight.

So in other words, once your disc turns the corner and starts angling right toward the pin, the wind comes and slaps it down, hard.

I've seen this deuced in calm air or when the wind's blowing from the north, but not when the wind blows from the south. How would you attack this hole?

Big ol' Meteor toss for me. looks like a fun hole... either that or a steep whippet flick

nice picture by the way!

Im not all that intimidated by the tunnel, so I think FH, Firebird or Banshee; which of course makes this a hyzer shot.

How tall are those trees on the right? I'm thinking thumber.

How tall are those trees on the right? I'm thinking thumber.

Good call. Just looked at the distance from tee to hole and 265', depending on how high I have to throw, might be parked.

Forehand skipper most likely for me... I'd have to see it in person though. Something like an XCal, Boss, Firebird -- depending on the distance.

Now this is dreaded, unless you are left handed. If I am seeing it right, it's not that long of a hole and there is alot of room to the left. I would be tempted to go with a forehand. I'm not good at them, but as long as I get past the tree and woods, it looks like a clear shot to the basket. Hit it right and I could be putting for birdie. Miss it and it still should be an easier approach to par. I would most likely try it with a Predator.

A FH cut roller might be a decent shot, too.

Zenbot - The trees aren't that tall, but once you're above them the wind will catch your disc like a sail and send it flying to the left. (The wind is usually 20-30 mph through there when it blows from the south.)

Last edited:
RHFH with either a Reaper or maybe a Banshee...through the tunnel.

My profile picture has me throwing, what I assume to be a similar hole....but more woodsy in NJ...

Zenbot - The trees aren't that tall, but once you're above them the wind will catch your disc like a sail and send it flying to the left. (The wind is usually 20-30 mph through there when it blows from the south.)

How thick are those woods? Are discs retreivable?

It doesn't look like there's enough room on the left to go for an anny, which is my preferred right-turning shot. On this one I'd probably go for a low straightish Firebird flick with a big ending skip to the right.

There is plenty of room to the left of the tree cluster, however it is too far to the left of the basket to rely on something to fade that far over to the basket. I usually try to throw a forehand shot with a destroyer through the tunnel. It's only 50/50, but my spike annys suck.

Latest posts