• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one I finished up last night. Looks like I missed a cut above the right eye and dyed it black instead of the green it was supposed to be. No bleeds, so I'm happy about that.

Attachments

• IMAG3471.jpg
    IMAG3471.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 103
No where near as impressive as hurricanes, but I'm proud of it, one of my first dyes.

picture.php

"Da dada da da dada dada dada da dada da dada dada dada"

picture.php

Didn't play the vinyl and make the feathers darker than I wanted to compensate for the 2 remasks, so the yellow/orange feathers are a bit too light. Had some bleeds near the edge, but 0 bleeds onto the back of the rim, which is always nice.

Attachments

• hawks2.jpg
    hawks2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 21
  • hawks3.jpg
    hawks3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 35
Just dyed these 2 today. The blue is an MVP Inertia & the greenish disc is a Gstar Katana. Both dyed with Fuchsia the Inertia stayed true to the color while the Katana looks red, ( metallic red ) which looks kinda cool :cool:. No runs on the Inertia with some minor runs on the Katana, but I don't care! It looks good to me! This is the first dyes I've done in months so it will to come back to me.

Attachments

• DSCF3052.jpg
    DSCF3052.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF3055.jpg
    DSCF3055.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 60
Thanks! The red on the katana kind of looks metallic candy apple red in the right lite. I haven't thrown the inertia yet, "so we'll see".

I have a question for everyone (I apologize if this has been asked before). Has anyone had issues with Champion plastic not taking dye near the edge (see picture)? And more importantly, is there a way to fix it?
OtherWorkfVUAbx.jpg

I had this happen on this Volt (attached). Had the black outline in a hot dip for about 30 min and when I took it out it looked terrible. I powered through it by leaving it in for a few hours and eventually it looked OK. You can still see it in the light fill on the logo. Left in the plastic bag dye for over 2 days and it seemed to take pretty well.

I cleaned the disc with hot soapy water like normal, so I have no explanation for it. I even cleaned it with rubbing alcohol between the outline and the light black fill and it still happened.... :/

Attachments

• spitfire.jpg
    spitfire.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I got a new Volt yesterday but didn't care much for the shade of blue. So, I jazzed it up a bit...

picture.php

First of all, love the Volt. That looks sweet.

Question on the Claymore - does the dye not affect the stamp on those?

Love that Kaxe Z. Bet it looks sweet in the air!
Thank you. I had some major bleeds but they look neat too. I often use that discs for long hyzers and it really does looks cool in the air.
First of all, love the Volt. That looks sweet.

Question on the Claymore - does the dye not affect the stamp on those?
Thank you. I was really happy with the way the Volt came out.

In my experience, no, the dye does not effect foil stamps. I will warn you though, shaving cream or a dish soap float can destroy a stamp. I like to preserve or accentuate the stamps if I can and if it's done right, it can come out pretty cool. When I picked up that claymore, I just got an image in my head of an old medieval shield. So that's what I tried to do with the dye...

Last edited:
Thank you. I often use that discs for long hyzers and it really does looks cool in the air.

Thank you. I was really happy with the way the Volt came out.

In my experience, no, the dye does not effect foil stamps. I will warn you though, shaving cream or a dish soap float can destroy a stamp. I like to preserve or accentuate the stamps if I can and if it's done right, it can come out pretty cool. When I picked up that claymore, I just got an image in my head of an old medieval shield. So that's what I tried to do with the dye...

Thanks for the info. I ask because I also dyed a Claymore with shaving cream, but with the color of the disc/dye used, I couldn't tell if it affected the stamp, whereas yours clearly looks unaffected. The only part of the stamp I masked was the sword because I went back and dyed that gunmetal.

Here's my latest one. Did this one for a friend.

Attachments

• IMAG3479.jpg
    IMAG3479.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 132
Awesome.

How did you do the shadow on Homers head?

Thanks. I painted on 3 coats of idye black mixed with laundry detergent. I left each coat on for a minute or two. It wasn't too difficult to figure out...just have to keep an eye on it and not let it get too dark. It was my first attempt at shading, so I just kinda went for it and thankfully it turned out ok.

My wife and I just got into dyeing, just thought I'd show some of the stuff we've done so far. So far we haven't had any major mishaps and they've all turned out pretty decent.

IMG_20150512_183901.jpg

IMG_20150512_183726.jpg

IMG_20150512_183546.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts