• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
nF9n7kS.jpg

s15sxXb.jpg

These 2 are quick and dirty trophy discs.

This one is my favorite dye I have done. It's a Neutron Envy using iDye Poly black, crimson and red.
Cutting and weeding was awful at the time, but well worth it.

Qkc4MIq.jpg

ei1ho4x.jpg

nF9n7kS.jpg

s15sxXb.jpg

These 2 are quick and dirty trophy discs.

This one is my favorite dye I have done. It's a Neutron Envy using iDye Poly black, crimson and red.
Cutting and weeding was awful at the time, but well worth it.

Qkc4MIq.jpg

ei1ho4x.jpg

Love the lips.Very nice job!

So I got my plotter a few days ago and I gotta say I don't think I'm gonna miss hand cutting stencils anymore. Haha! The first one I did with the plotter was the Ghostbusters logo...wanted to do something quick and easy on the first try, then I decided to go a little more intricate on the second one which is the Sublime skull. I'm gonna have lots of fun using this thing.

Attachments

• IMAG3621.jpg
    IMAG3621.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMAG3622.jpg
    IMAG3622.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 81
Crazy mace cop (no disrespect to the police out there) on a lat. 64 mace.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-06-09-08-15_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-07-06-09-08-15_1.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 115
Anybody know of a good tutorial that helps me go from a jpeg file to a vector to having an image prepped to cut? I am using a Roland BN-20 and can use illustrator/photoshop/indesign. (Although I am not well versed in any of them). Thanks!

Anybody know of a good tutorial that helps me go from a jpeg file to a vector to having an image prepped to cut? I am using a Roland BN-20 and can use illustrator/photoshop/indesign. (Although I am not well versed in any of them). Thanks!

In any decent design software, you should be able to find something with "Trace" in it; Illustrator is "live trace" I think, but find in your program something with "trace" in it through your help files. Usually located within the "path" tree. You want to take a flat image and turn it into a path for the plotter to follow/cut.

Make sure your image is high contrast, or adjust in your software trace settings.

If you're skilled in Illustrator, you may prefer(and often need) to trace your paths manually with the pen tool.

Does it have to be a vector image or just a "flattened" image? Thanks Bennett.......

Does it have to be a vector image or just a "flattened" image? Thanks Bennett.......

Not exactly sure what you mean, but the plotter only cares about paths. If you don't have a path for it to follow, the plotter will do nothing.

Think of it this way: Plotter's don't see pictures; they see paths for the blades to follow, and we see those paths as creating an image.

If you're using Illustrator and aren't sure if you have paths in your file after tinkering around, hit ctrl+Y for a path view/ outline preview.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/illustrator-understanding-paths.html

Bennett has you on the right track, Bamm. Illustrator's Live Trace is pretty good and will probably suit your needs. I don't do a whole lot of dyes but I do "re-vector" logos and vectorize raster images quite a lot. In my opinion, the best software out there for this type of work is Vector Magic (http://www.vectormagic.com.) While it is a bit on the expensive side of the spectrum, especially just for dye work, it gives you quite a lot more control and much cleaner results than Adobe's Live Trace feature. It might be worth looking into.

In the end, nothing beats knowing how to create from scratch. Kinda like knowing how to hand-cut before you get into plotter-cutting. The Live Trace function is nice and the software can sometimes do a lot for you, but nothing beats knowing how to work with paths, either building from scratch or fixing the pieces that the tracing function in your software can't seem to get right.

My first "image" dye. I've done the brainwave stuff and shaving cream stuff but this is my first hand cut image. I had an issue with the vinyl and it caused some bleeds. I tried to salvage it with the crazy colored shaving cream background. It kinda worked. Learned a lot, the next will be better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 104
In the end, nothing beats knowing how to create from scratch. Kinda like knowing how to hand-cut before you get into plotter-cutting. The Live Trace function is nice and the software can sometimes do a lot for you, but nothing beats knowing how to work with paths, either building from scratch or fixing the pieces that the tracing function in your software can't seem to get right.

Absolutely! I've been using illustrator since '88 so I'm not unfamiliar with creating vector art. Learning it can take a while but the knowledge gained will benefit you greatly. Vectorization software can drastically speed up the time needed though.

My first "image" dye. I've done the brainwave stuff and shaving cream stuff but this is my first hand cut image. I had an issue with the vinyl and it caused some bleeds. I tried to salvage it with the crazy colored shaving cream background. It kinda worked. Learned a lot, the next will be better.

Very cool, Bamm! I really dig the vibrant SC background!

Very cool, Bamm! I really dig the vibrant SC background!

Thanks! My intent was to leave the actual storm trooper part of the image white and have the background s/c dyed. But then the bleeds happened. The s/c dye just allowed them to kinda blend in. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts