• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still new to this game, but working on it....
Champion Max X-Out. iDye Poly. Too pink not to go with the panther.

3463_411126998960425_2103837582_n.jpg

More of my dyes

Here are a few more

Attachments

• Damn Dirty Ape.jpg
    Damn Dirty Ape.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Geisha.jpg
    Geisha.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Pink Knot.jpg
    Pink Knot.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 60
Damn, this is fun

So I figure this is a great place to post my questions I have about commissioned dye jobs. I have been dyeing discs for a few years and recently started posting them on a few social websites just to show people my hobby that I love. I have recently started getting a number of people asking me if I sell discs and how much I would sell my discs for. I never really thought about it before. I do all of my discs by hand so they take some time to finish. My question for this forum of disc dyers is, based on the discs you may have seen that I have posted in this forum, what do you think is an acceptable price for me to be asking for my discs? If I'm going to spend a lot of time on these, only to sell them, I obviously want to make it worth my while but I don't want to be asking so much for them that people think I am an @**hole and over-valuing my discs. I also don't want to make them so cheap that I get overrun with orders and requests and have to spend all my time making discs rather that actually getting to play.

Any input here would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Spartan.jpg
    Spartan.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Yellow Starburst.jpg
    Yellow Starburst.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Texas Voodoo.jpg
    Texas Voodoo.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 60
And a few more

Blah blah discs

Attachments

• Budley Boards.jpg
    Budley Boards.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 65
  • Gold Trophy.jpg
    Gold Trophy.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Samurai Sunset.jpg
    Samurai Sunset.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 72
I typically charge by color. However if there is a lot of extra work I may charge more for detail work. My typical price is $10 for a single color and $5 for each additional color. I max out at $30 for the dye work. My experience has been that most people will not pay more than $50 for a dyed disc. So $30 for the dye and $20 for a disc seems to be about the limit. If I am shipping the disc the customer pays for shipping as well.

I know I should probably spend some time searching this question, but while we're on the topic of commissioned work, what would you guys need in terms of a custom design? Any image that works as a stencil? (...and what types of elements in the design are impossible, a pain in the neck, or desirable?) In what (electronic?) format? I've got a million questions, but let's start there, THANK YOU!
btw, I love this thread: you all are artists, and deserve more than what you can typically charge. :clap:

The important variables matter... handcut v plotter, mac v windows. I find that any image that looks good in 2-4 colors will make a good stencil, and I prefer scalable vector graphic (.svg) format 'cuz inkscape likes it.

Last nights fun!
neutronIonsDSC_2600.jpg

what do you think is an acceptable price for me to be asking for my discs?

Thanks for asking that question! I was actually wondering the same thing myself and was wanting to post the same question

I typically charge by color. However if there is a lot of extra work I may charge more for detail work. My typical price is $10 for a single color and $5 for each additional color. I max out at $30 for the dye work. My experience has been that most people will not pay more than $50 for a dyed disc. So $30 for the dye and $20 for a disc seems to be about the limit. If I am shipping the disc the customer pays for shipping as well.

Awesome way of breaking it down. That is a good baseline to sell disc. I can't wait until I can achieve some better dye's myself.

Is that SC marbling Dan? Or something else? Been experimenting with some marbling techniques but nothing great so far.

The important variables matter... handcut v plotter, mac v windows. I find that any image that looks good in 2-4 colors will make a good stencil, and I prefer scalable vector graphic (.svg) format 'cuz inkscape likes it.

Last nights fun!
neutronIonsDSC_2600.jpg

That one makes me want to do some marbling tonight. Too bad I don't have any white discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.