• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Gospel of the PD

Slanted rims usually don't affect my throw, but some people seem dead set against them.

Field test for C PD

I got two in the mail. One 171 orange with a dome to it. One 170 yellow that is flat. The orange parting line was slightly higher when put on the same desk and lined up.

I threw the flat yellow first. Slight tailwind. HSS 0 LSS 3 nice little skip 7 ft or so. The throw was right around 390'
Same wind domey orange. HSS 0 or +.5 LSS LSS 4 large vertical skip. The throw was around 365' with the same effort.

I threw them for around an hour back and forth with a slight tailwind or slight headwind. The flat yellow was like a faster TL. It had some flip to it but would come back. The orange turned out to be a firebird teebird baby. It was more stable than my new Echo Teebird and flew fairly similar to my ESP Predator. It was shorter than the yellow. I liked the yellow, but then I threw my new Flow. The Flow had the same flight path, but was 20-40 ft longer. Still going to test a little more, but I might be doing my first trade soon.

I just got some production CPDs...They are a PLUS mold, but guess what? So were the CFR champs...I don't mind at all. After throwing these a few times yesterday I may like them the best of all the PDs. So far I can say they are very glidey with strong LSS, yet fly flat really well. I'm about to take them to a more appropriate course for testing along with some CPD2s and a CMD2.

ForeverBlue232 said:
What I would like for the production C-PD's to be is the same stability as the CFR's but with more glide.

That sounds like something that would happen in a perfect world...I'm pretty sure the only reason the CFRs are so stable is because they don't glide. The new ones have a similar flightpath as the CFRs, but longer and with more glide. The LSS is definitely there, but from the ease at which they came off my hand and got down the fairway, I'm doubting that they will be as HSS as the CFRs. I was snapping them flat into a headwind at a basket 390' ahead (#1 @ NE Coachman) and they were turning for most the flight and coming back right at the basket. I could not do this with my CFRs...Much more like a new S-PD, but better. I will report more after some testing today.

Hey, I can pray can't I? :) I did pick up 3 of the last 4 AO C-PD's just to make sure I had a good supply, thinking that the new ones will just be like a fresh S-PD, but stay that way longer. I can't complain about them being that way though I guess. I might actually throw C-PD's more often now. Right now, it's more a situational disc or a get out of trouble disc for me. Though I haven't been using my S-PD's much the past half year as well. I've mostly been rocking the P-PD's. I have found that I use the C-PD's more when I'm playing down in Clearwater, than when I'm at most other places. I guess the water hazards make me go to a disc I trust more to fly a path I can trust, even if I sacrifice distance.

discspeed said:
I just got some production CPDs...They are a PLUS mold, but guess what? So were the CFR champs...I don't mind at all.
I just went through my Big D C-PDs and my Finnish Championship CFR C-PDs, and I have to tell you, they bloody well are NOT +molds.

But I do agree with you, I'm not bothered by slanted rims (I don't have a production C-PD yet, talking about the C-TD), but I am bothered by unannounced changes to an established mold. If they'd give a heads up beforehand, no problem.

I can't imagine the guys at Discmania are too thrilled about it either...

I might have to get a couple if they're so good though. To this day I've always either liked or loved every disc you've been raving on about. =)

per Dave D:

Originally Posted by gokayaksteven
any reason the production c-pd's have the slanted inner rim? was this done intentionally or just something that happens during molding sometimes? I have been noticing this on more recent runs of discs, even those not marked "plus mold".
thanks again

It was not done intentionally and will not be in future runs of C-PDs.

Glad that's clear, but doesn't give me too much confidence in Innova... =/

EDIT: Would it be too much to ask someone to question him about the C-TDs as well?

jubuttib said:
discspeed said:
I just got some production CPDs...They are a PLUS mold, but guess what? So were the CFR champs...I don't mind at all.
I just went through my Big D C-PDs and my Finnish Championship CFR C-PDs, and I have to tell you, they bloody well are NOT +molds.

But I do agree with you, I'm not bothered by slanted rims (I don't have a production C-PD yet, talking about the C-TD), but I am bothered by unannounced changes to an established mold. If they'd give a heads up beforehand, no problem.

I can't imagine the guys at Discmania are too thrilled about it either...

I might have to get a couple if they're so good though. To this day I've always either liked or loved every disc you've been raving on about. =)

Perhaps the CFRs are not PLUS molds. They are slanted more than S/P PDS...This probably has to do with how they dried them with the parting line so high and the top so flat, pulling the rim out a little into a slant. It looks like the CFR is about halfway between the new ones and my SPDs.

Anyway, I love the new champ PDs. They feel kind of strange...the PLUS mold seems to have a thinner flightplate as it is really gummy, yet the rim is stiff. The amount of rim slant does not bother me at all. We're not talking RIOT here, just a slight camber. They fly farther than S, P, and CFR Cs for me. They really glide and have the perfect PD stability to me...Easy to throw flat/hold the line with a strong, forward gliding fade at the end. To me they seem to fly turned over and come out better/more consistently than S and P PDs.

These new CPDs are going to be playing a big role in my bag as my main hyzer/maxD PD with my one P and S's occupying the broken in slots and my CFRs in there for wind, short range overstable utility, and spike shots.

Tell me something, do the production run C-PDs have a patent number tooling on the bottom?

jubuttib said:
Glad that's clear, but doesn't give me too much confidence in Innova... =/

EDIT: Would it be too much to ask someone to question him about the C-TDs as well?

I think Steven's question covered your C-TD question as well as he mentioned the slanted rim showing up in other discs as well.
Yeah Innova! They either don't know what they're doing or they're lying to us.

Yeah, so they just fudged up the core mold (old ones are patent tooled). Good to hear it wasn't Discmania trying to pull off something like this.

So i got my pink production cpd. Its definitely domey :). I compared it to my fav domey spds and a big d cpd. The plh is nearly identical to the domey spds right down to the dome too. The big d cpds are definitel higher in plh. Im hoping these are a smidgre beefier than my fresh spds i rotate .if they arethen im definitely stocking up. I usually keep a beat spd and a freshy. This will b perfect. The plastic i got was very pearly and not stiff or gummy. Felt very good. Ill b testing these today to see how it cpmpares to a fresh spd amd the big d flatties.

IMG_20110314_124407.jpg

I finally got my production C-PD today. It is a little bit more domey than my CFR's, and the PLH is definitely lower. But to be honest, to my untrained eyes, I don't think the rim seems any more slanted than than my DGR C-PD's. I hope to try it out soon to see how it flies. The dome was more like my P-PD's than my S-PD's.

well i only got a few throws with my cpd yesterday and all of them were very similar to a fresh,domey spd. nice dependible fade too. i already like it. im going to try to test it against a fresh spd and a cfr cpd to see distance potential and stability comparisons.

ForeverBlue232 said:
But to be honest, to my untrained eyes, I don't think the rim seems any more slanted than than my DGR C-PD's.

I noticed this too. The CFR CPD has a rim that is closer to the new CPD than the S or P PDs. You can tell by the tooling that they are different molds though. I think the CFRs were put through some stabilization process, which was probably a quick cooling, which made the top flatten, pulling up the wing and PLH so much that it slanted the rim. This is my theory.

Thats what i read from dave d a while back if im not mistaken.because for some reason i have in my head that i read that they stabilized the cpds because the pd2 wasnt out. Then around the time the pd2 came out,they said they werent going to stabilize the production cpds per jussi's decision.

Just got my C-PD's in the mail today. Funny story. Innova went ahead and mixed some CFR's into the production run because they hadn't fudged enough shit up lately. SO I wanted the production C-PD, but instead I got a cfr PD for a steal of deal :roll:
The REAL c-pd has a mondo dome and an almost identical plh to my S' that I like so much.

So on a totally unrelated note, anyone want a flat as a board cfr pd that is stamped with a production run stamp? It's orange too!!