• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The pros on your local course

Sometimes, on some courses, it's not so much how far they throw, or the incredible lines they take, as that they're never in trouble. You watch them, and you're not exactly wowed, but it seems the tight fairways are twice as wide for them as for you, and the scary putts don't scare them very much.

I bet there are quite a few course records held by local pros that the top pros couldn't beat, at least without playing a lot of rounds. That local pro might have played 300-500 plus rounds to get the record. At some point they are going to put together 18 perfect drives and not miss a putt.

Prime example would be any pitch-n-putt 9 hole course with a course record under 18, as good as McBeth is he probably wouldn't be able to hit an ace in only a few rounds.

One thing that needs to be addressed is what is a course record? for us at Castle Hayne there is an Official and Unofficial course record. The "Official" course record has to be shot in a PDGA tournament...not a casual round or even a league monthly. the unofficial here doesn't carry much weight and had a lunch break in-between front nine and back nine. But is was still a sick round!

http://www.newhanoverdgc.com/records.php

I'd think Hidden Lake would really separate the wheat from the chaff. I can't see anybody having an easy day on that course.

Hidden Lake- The layout is tough no doubt but the Par rating is a joke really. I shot 11 down last time with 2 Eagles and I'm nobody. It's listed at Par 70. I'd see it closer to a Par 58. So I shot +1, which is realistic.

It is a really fun course though and one of my favorites. :thmbup:

Hidden Lake- The layout is tough no doubt but the Par rating is a joke really. I shot 11 down last time with 2 Eagles and I'm nobody. It's listed at Par 70. I'd see it closer to a Par 58. So I shot +1, which is realistic.

Christ, If thats how a 'nobody' shoots at Hidden lake… I'm not sure what that even makes me. The place has absolutely brutalized me the half dozen times I've played it. Terrible scores, Lost discs, legs/arms scraped up from the brush, death ants, etc.

To be fair… I was more thinking Hidden Lake in a tournament setup of some sorts (all longs, real pars, OB, etc) when I considered the OP's question.

I agree the par is a little too high, however shooting 59's would likely cash at the B-tier held there.

I bet there are quite a few course records held by local pros that the top pros couldn't beat, at least without playing a lot of rounds. That local pro might have played 300-500 plus rounds to get the record. At some point they are going to put together 18 perfect drives and not miss a putt.

Prime example would be any pitch-n-putt 9 hole course with a course record under 18, as good as McBeth is he probably wouldn't be able to hit an ace in only a few rounds.

I agree - the best local Pro at my course is Paul McBeth. Pretty sure he holds the current Course record at Huntington Beach Central Park with a 40. My best ever there is 50 :gross:

I agree - the best local Pro at my course is Paul McBeth. Pretty sure he holds the current Course record at Huntington Beach Central Park with a 40. My best ever there is 50 :gross:

Same here haha

getting a 50 there left handed felt like the best round of my life (So far)

I'm kind of in the same boat as Danny and OCDG... My home course, Sylmar, is run by them Rico kids. Steve's got the course record at -17 <He missed his birdie putt on 12>

McCabe and Schwebby are supposed to make a visit to Anchorage, AK this summer so we will find out if they make it to Kincaid Park and Hilltop Ski Area.

Sometimes, on some courses, it's not so much how far they throw, or the incredible lines they take, as that they're never in trouble. You watch them, and you're not exactly wowed, but it seems the tight fairways are twice as wide for them as for you, and the scary putts don't scare them very much.

I disagree with the bit I highlighted in red. The one time I got to witness Climo throwing a casual round, I got an almost palpable impression of his control over his throwing motion. His tee shots really did look like frozen ropes straight at the baskets, and when he putted, it looked like his joints were running on rails. So yeah, I felt the "wow" factor from watching Climo playing ordinary shots on an ordinary course. It just looked so pure and dialed in, I got the impression it would have been difficult for him to throw a bad shot.