• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Sol

So i got another Sol in the mail. I had a 174g yellow Z and wanted a lighter one.

To my surprise the new Z one i got in the mail is extremely gummy. The yellow one is very hard and stiff. The Blue one i got is almost FLX gummy.

After throwing this around a little i prefer the gummier version of the Z. I can dig my thumb in better and get it spinning for those gnarly corner turns.

Im surprised how different the stiffness is. Night and day.

My buddy got one of the TI ones from OTB and it feels a little more flexible than my new Z. Feels great as well. These things are so buttery.

Im sure having Paiges name and the -3 turn flight number on the disc scares ppl away but this disc is a secret weapon. Discrafts flight number of -0.5 is very accurate. Very HSS and can give you controlled turnovers you didnt know you were capable of.

Tell us more about this gummy Z...

It is as flexible on the flight plate as the esp undertaker i got at the same time.

It has a stiff rim but the flight plate has effortless give to it. It is not domey either. One of the flatter Sol i have molested.

The yellow i have has no give in the flight plate.

I thought mailbox heat was the reason....nope. It has a GUMMY flight plate.

Just holding it makes a dent with your thumb.

If you were to hold my yellow Sol in one hand and Blue in the other and closed your eyes.....you would swear they are different plastics

Gummy

That's all i got

Attachments

• 20210322_145346.jpg
    20210322_145346.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Cool. I'm still more intrigued by gummy Z, but...

I'm somewhat stuck in that I have four Ace Race ESPs (my daughter decided she didn't care for them so I got her two as well as mine) and three first run Z's. So seven? I need another Sol like I need another hole in my head.

But...gummy Z is gummy Z. :|

I got this gummy Z from OTB. Its strange because they have identical looking colored ones to mine but they state "Neutral stiffness". While others are said to be more firm.

I have a first run Z that I now love. How do the first runs compare to the ones with the PP stamp?

This is a neat little mold. I got a PP stock stamp Z and it's not really as US as advertised. It needs a little bit of pop to flip up or stay straight. It likes to fade early if the nose is up which could be useful if I was actually able to control my nose angles. It feels more like a putter than a mid, but flies more like a mid than a putter.

I kinda waffle if I need both it and a Comet but I think it flies differently enough. My Comet pretty much flies on whatever angle I put it on whereas this is a little more shapeable if that makes any sense

I kinda waffle if I need both it and a Comet but I think it flies differently enough. My Comet pretty much flies on whatever angle I put it on whereas this is a little more shapeable if that makes any sense

Absolutely makes sense. The comet is not great as a "flippy" mid unless you have a beat one, or maybe an older flat Z/ESP. I bag a paradox often and traditionally power up my flippy putters to close the gap where comets don't late turn enough.

As the semi-official Pope of the church of the Comet, I have too much snap not to turn a Sol. I'm sure I could learn to throw one quite well, but I'd basically be learning to do with it what I already do with great proficiency with a Comet...

As the semi-official Pope of the church of the Comet, I have too much snap not to turn a Sol. I'm sure I could learn to throw one quite well, but I'd basically be learning to do with it what I already do with great proficiency with a Comet...

I fear your extraordinary snappiness would preclude you from ever throwing the Sol well.

I fear your extraordinary snappiness would preclude you from ever throwing the Sol well.

I'm sure with a loose enough grip I could keep it under control, but I don't even hook any fingers on a Comet, to do what I do, so I'd have to figure out how to be more gentle than the pinch between my thumb, and the big knuckle on my middle finger. That's all I use to grip a Comet...