• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Valkyrie, a discussion.........

^^ lol ... yeah thats really what i want.. or a nice JK.. opaque if possible but dunno if i have seen opaque jk pros .. if i could find a nice seasoned ce valk thrower at a "decent" price id be stoked.. good for me i dont care about ugly ink so that helps lol :)

All 6 of the star valks at our PIAS are + mold. All pros and all but 1 champ were also + molds. Super gay.

Super 'gay'? You find this super merry and joyful? I'm really not a fan of plus molds, myself.

I have a confession...I've been disc golfing for 4 years now and I've never thrown a Valkyrie. I've owned one once, a DX Valk. I found it and gave it away shortly after.

^^ i was the same way.. but not 4 years tho... dunno how i managed to not throw one before to be such a legend of a mold .. hate i didnt now tho .. and i might not have ever tried one if rims over 2cm felt good in my hand :eek:

I used to carry DX Valks for "waste discs" on holes where there was high lost disc potential. The downside was that most of those holes were forested and I would wind up beating the DX up way too fast. The upside was that I got better flights out of those than anything. I still have a Champ that I bring out of retirement occasionally, but that's it. All of those DXs were drowned or lost, and then I discovered that I could get durable, beat in, used discs (especially Valks, which fill used bins everywhere I go) for less than DX and I never went back.

I LOVE valks. I've cycle through a dozen in the last year and settled on the 4 in my bag. A beat pro, a newish pro, 5x, and a new champ 175g. If it's calm out, one of my valks is likely coming out on any tee that calls for a driver.

I just found a brand new 168 Champ Valk on the course the other day... In Pink and it's a plus mold. It doesn't say "Plus" on it but the rim is definitely slanted. I can get Valkyries out to 400 in the right conditions (Flat Ground), and downhill I have thrown them up to 700 feet. I know this disc better than any other, but don't throw it as my go-to driver all the time. Recently I picked up a 175 Echo Star and I've been throwing it quite a bit as it is still stable.

Last count I had 2 CE Valkyries, 1 JK Pro (from 1999), 2 SE Valkyries, 1 Star (My first star disc!), 1 Echo Star, 2 Champ, 1 Champ Glow, and 2 DX. I also use the DX Valks for "over water" shots up to 300 ft. Love this disc I know its flight better than any other disc I have ever thrown. I did stop throwing them for 2 years after the Vulcan was released, but I'm back to them for 2 to 3 shots a round.

I love Valks too. I just picked 2 barely used champ non-+ for $6 worth of trade.

the only valks that I have seen not plus molded recently are the glow champs. even the xtra gummy ones from the factory store are plus rims. that said I throw valks as my main driver and the plus mold ones still fly great

I just gave away the Valkyrie I found. Never threw it in the last 10 rounds it was in my bag. I gave it to a good friend who throws a Valkyrie just like it but 2g lighter. Hope he enjoys it.

the only valks that I have seen not plus molded recently are the glow champs. even the xtra gummy ones from the factory store are plus rims. that said I throw valks as my main driver and the plus mold ones still fly great

I noticed the same thing... I picked up a champ glow about a year ago and it has a straight rim.

Valkyries... Like a high school sweetheart. Feels great in the hand, tons of great memories, but you know you can't go back to her, because she turns over too easily
:)

the first disc i ever owned. at least two will remain in my bag at all times. right now in my home course bag. there's a beat up dx, star, and a glo champ

I just found a brand new 168 Champ Valk on the course the other day... In Pink and it's a plus mold. It doesn't say "Plus" on it but the rim is definitely slanted. I can get Valkyries out to 400 in the right conditions (Flat Ground), and downhill I have thrown them up to 700 feet. I know this disc better than any other, but don't throw it as my go-to driver all the time. Recently I picked up a 175 Echo Star and I've been throwing it quite a bit as it is still stable.

Last count I had 2 CE Valkyries, 1 JK Pro (from 1999), 2 SE Valkyries, 1 Star (My first star disc!), 1 Echo Star, 2 Champ, 1 Champ Glow, and 2 DX. I also use the DX Valks for "over water" shots up to 300 ft. Love this disc I know its flight better than any other disc I have ever thrown. I did stop throwing them for 2 years after the Vulcan was released, but I'm back to them for 2 to 3 shots a round.

I had that exact Valk in about 9/10 condition and lost it about two years back in Mountlake Terrace, WA. Whoever found it is a dick. That's still one of the only two discs I've lost on a non-water hole.

I keep 3 in my bag.

2 JK 4x,5x champion
JK Pro

I have over 15 Valkyries in my duplicates box though.

i am just looking at valks, so this was some good reading

i have been using 168 star and ch sidewinders for my main drivers

but now i am looking for something with a little less turn, and a little more fade at the end
i would like to start shaping some s-turn shots

last week i got a lightly used 171 pro (seems a little heavy for my noodle/beginner arm)
today i bought a 159 star (with the distance stamp) very flat compared to the 171 pro
also just ordered a 158 pro and a 166 glow dx

these will be for my wife and i, to try out (which means, i get what she doesnt like)

i am just looking at valks, so this was some good reading

i have been using 168 star and ch sidewinders for my main drivers

but now i am looking for something with a little less turn, and a little more fade at the end
i would like to start shaping some s-turn shots

last week i got a lightly used 171 pro (seems a little heavy for my noodle/beginner arm)
today i bought a 159 star (with the distance stamp) very flat compared to the 171 pro
also just ordered a 158 pro and a 166 glow dx

these will be for my wife and i, to try out (which means, i get what she doesnt like)

I use champ Valkyries, 160ish. Good for long turnover drives and also fade and gentle hyzer drives, assuming no headwind. It has a lot of glide (despite the numbers), is capable of very long distance, and yes, it's more stable than the Sidewinder. Easy distance at lighter weights. And you can really dial it in since you aren't throwing as hard as with heavy Valks.

Probably the most reliable late fade of any disc I've thrown - I've thrown Valks in DX, Pro, and Champion plastic, and they all seem to behave pretty much the same. Good disc.

Latest posts