• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] The Zone GT Megathread

Zone GT

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I should have included that the version of the challenge we played was:
Throw both discs off the tee pad.
Take the better of the two and play from there with one disc (didn't matter which disc).
So we really only got to compare the discs for tee shots. But I tried to do comparisons for all shots. I would putt with one disc for one hole and then the other one on the next hole. But for putting, I did get in some putting practice with both from the same spots before we started play. I also mixed it up with upshots...sometimes the Z/B-Gt and sometimes the Z/R-GT. But because every shot wasn't with both discs from the same spot, I do want to go to a field and do some more tests with both at the same time. Maybe even take them out on a course and play best shot all the way to the basket. If I do, I'll post my thoughts on the discs.

Got to throw a Zanger this past weekend. As I remembered, the thumb track on the Banger is too far inboard for my massive hands to use well. Not comfortable at all. I held the Zinger, but didn't throw it. On feel alone, it's the winner - especially if you throw forehand.

I was surprised at the distance I got on the Zanger. I threw it on hole 8 of Kenginston's Blue/North short layout. I felt like I threw it a bit poorly, and it looked like it didn't glide very well, but it skipped to one of my better lies on this hole. For reference, my usual drive on this hole is with a 150 class Flick.

Finally got mine out to play a few rounds.

Ring Zone (GT-R) - It's very comparable to a brand new, flat, ESP Zone. It holds lines, it gets the late fade, it's very easy-to-use. The thin profile made it a little less friendly to my hands than the GT-B, but it was very consistent... however it was almost always exactly flying and landing how/where my standard Z Zone landed.

Bang Zone (GT-B) - mega stable. Comparable to a suuuper puddle top Z Zone (which is basically what it is). Deeper rim felt better in my hand, the groove track itself didn't bother me any. Much more finicky to get right, but it's extremely nice when you do.

Hyzers:
GT-R: exactly what you'd expect from a Zone
GT-B: slams down on a very hard angle.

Anhyzers:
GT-R: holds anny most of the way, might end flat but might not.
GT-B: flex lines guaranteed, especially if you really get it in the sky. It's a usable Zone OS

As an overall comparison, I'd say the GT-R is the finesse player's Zone, while the GT-B is a power player's Zone. My vote goes to the Banger simply because it's more different than the standard Zone for me. The Ringer is definitely easier to use, but the Banger is more useful, and thus I'm willing to learn its quirks. I was surprised that the handfeel of both discs didn't bother me hardly at all.

The only other thing I learned is that the Zone OS is an unusable piece of dookie.

IMG_20231108_153303_038.jpg

Last edited:
So I finally got a chance to do a 9 hole challenge with the Zone GTs and a pair of Coffee Wizs on a short back 9 of a local course. It ended up tied after those 9 holes so I decided to play a playoff since it was getting dark (otherwise I'd have played the other set of tees fully, playoff was formatted that way) and the Zinger walked it off with a perfect FH Flex ace that managed to stick in 35° cold on Mach 3 baskets. I tried the same line with the Zanger but it ran wide and hit a tree. It's my third ace on the hole and my first from the longer and harder tee, which gives me the completed hole I've been trying for regardless of if it was aces or eagles, though most of the other holes in the area have 3 or 4 tees, this one only has 2.PXL_20231121_213704251.jpg

Right now I like the Zanger for backhand and the Zinger for forehand. Lots of throws left before any decision, but that's where I'm at.

Right now I like the Zanger for backhand and the Zinger for forehand. Lots of throws left before any decision, but that's where I'm at.
Unfortunately, only one will go into production and be PDGA legal....so far it is looking like the Zanger is winning. I'm a fan of the Zinger myself as I mostly throw forehands (especially for upshots).

I don't care one way or the other and haven't thrown either, but I'd be shocked if they don't release some special Ledgestone ones next year for the loser. I mean that's what they do now basically. God forbid they make a Mantis in something other than Z, so not a Mantis.

I'd actually try the Ringer top one tbh. Ringer GT is in my glow bag and is pretty damn solid.

Unfortunately, only one will go into production and be PDGA legal....so far it is looking like the Zanger is winning. I'm a fan of the Zinger myself as I mostly throw forehands (especially for upshots).
If that happens, I'll personally fund the approval just so I can throw the Zinger in tournaments...they don't have to produce both, but not making both legal would be a bad move IMO.

If that happens, I'll personally fund the approval just so I can throw the Zinger in tournaments...they don't have to produce both, but not making both legal would be a bad move IMO.
Played a C Tier a couple weekends ago and am quite certain I saw more than one of these being used. Not on my card and a bit too far away to be absolute, but again.....quite certain.

Played a C Tier a couple weekends ago and am quite certain I saw more than one of these being used. Not on my card and a bit too far away to be absolute, but again.....quite certain.
Lol awesome.

I'm not surprised. I was at a sanctioned league and the TD had to remind players that the discs are prototypes and not PDGA approved. Too many people think that if a disc is made, that means it is PDGA approved.

24 days left. Banger-GT leads by 127. Would like to see a wider margin, cause man, I really want that thing to be legal... but I won't complain. It's in the lead.

Banger top has made my bag and I don't see it leaving. It is the Zone OS we all hoped for. Lower glide, more stability. In a lineup with other Discraft flight #s, I would but the GT-B at 4/2/0/4.

Feb 1 can't come soon enough!

Exactly why I'm getting my backups now instead of later. Just in case the Banger somehow loses out.

I don't care which one wins as long as I can continue to lean on my Zinger during sanctioned rounds...

Latest posts