• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Thematic rounds? Alternative games?

hawgdriver

Eagle Member
Man, I love my Tursas, but I don't get to throw it enough. Then I thought, ah, maybe tomorrow I can convince my buddy to play a Tursas-only round at Beaver Ranch tomorrow.

It led me to a broader idea of playing more thematic or rule-constrained rounds.

Looking for any ideas that y'all have had fun with. Disc dice looks like it could be fun. That's the general idea. Fun + develop niche/underused disc golf skills. But really, anything that's a rules variation that is super fun is a bullseye.

Disc specific is a good way to learn the discs in a bag. I was thinking something along the lines of a single form throw all the way through i.e. forehand on all throws even putts. Wow, that is a messed up idea.

Here's a method I use when I practice sometimes. (Forces you to use nearly all your discs)

Holes 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16 Throw a driver only until you hole out.
Holes 2, 5, 8, 11, 14, 17 Throw a Fairway or Mid only until you hole out.
Holes 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 Throw a Putter only until you hole out.

To make it more interesting, flip a disc at every hole ...Heads you play long tees, Tails play Shorts.

To make it even more interesting, you can NOT use the same disc on the next corresponding hole. So, if you throw a Destroyer on Hole 1 you can NOT use a Destroyer on Hole 4. You would be able to use that Destroyer again on Hole 7. Every other hole is fine, just not consecutive holes. This forces you to throw something other than your Go-To Discs.

This also helps you learn to make unconventional shots with unconventional discs.

-forehand only/backhand only
-one disc wonder
-lots of different varieties of dubs
-ript revenge

The method i use for tourney training, which I haven't done for a long time, is throw twice at every lie and take the worst result. If you are really good this proba ly won't work well for you. I not only get alot of opportunities to practice my scramble, but also throw shots i would never otherwise throw because i probably already threw my one Firebird. Maybe you could play a bad lie dubs

I'll intentionally bring a small bag and fill it with unfamiliar/whatever discs. Played in howling winds yesterday and it was fun compensating for what I'd normally throw in those circumstances. Can't throw ole' trusty if it isn't within reach...

I played a shorter course with the kids the other day. To keep thinks interesting I made it overstable appreciation day. Threw only overstable discs except for putts.

I did one where I had only 6 mids and threw a virtual die to pick the disc a while back. Need to do something like that again when I heal up.

The method i use for tourney training, which I haven't done for a long time, is throw twice at every lie and take the worst result. If you are really good this proba ly won't work well for you. I not only get alot of opportunities to practice my scramble, but also throw shots i would never otherwise throw because i probably already threw my one Firebird. Maybe you could play a bad lie dubs

That's a good idea.

I will flip a coin to tee off with a fairway or mid. do it with a friend and you both toss differently sometimes. it's surprising how the disc you thought was inappropriate really works!

That's a good idea.

Sometimes I go to my local 9 holer and play a loop of worst shot followed by a loop of best shot.

Worst shot is good, but you have to be careful to not kill your confidence. So I try to offset that.

I'm gonna try letting a random number generator pick a disc in my bag for tee shots. Numbers based on their order in my UDisc list. Should be interesting. Seen Simon do something like it in one of his vlogs.