• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Thrasher

You remember when they made ESP Flashes and they were glide money? The Thrasher is like one of those Flashes but broken in.

Yes, but is the Z Thrasher flat-topped like almost all Discraft Z drivers now? Or does it have normal dome? That's my concern with Discraft drivers, the flat ones are much more OS than they should be and have poor glide. Regardless of the mold.

Yes, but is the Z Thrasher flat-topped like almost all Discraft Z drivers now? Or does it have normal dome? That's my concern with Discraft drivers, the flat ones are much more OS than they should be and have poor glide. Regardless of the mold.

The FR Thrasher I have doesn't have a huge dome but I wouldn't consider it flat, which is kind of the sweet sport for me with drivers.

There's been a little of that sneaking into some Z Buzzzes I've seen. :gross:

I used to see it on X and D Buzzz, but Z too now? I have 3 board flat ESP Buzzz which I got probably 18 months ago. All were online order, so I guess I was lucky.

The disc I received was an Am Worlds pre-release. It's 174g Solid Z plastic. I wasn't sure what to make of it at first. Took it to a field and made some nice straight shots with a tight S-shape flight along the way. Worked with it some more. I would give it flight #'s of 11.5/5/-2/1.25
It definitely exhibits high speed turn, but it is not a big cut over. It seems to move understable with only a small tilt. Halfway through the flight it seems to flatten more and very likely will have a hyzer fade back to Near center in the end. It is a very shapable disc. Like a more stable Tern almost. Once I was able to understand the flight I parked multiple holes in a row. Some tough ones too. It is not a wind fighter, but depending on your armspeed and how you release it the Thrasher may hold up in moderate headwind (but I don't really recommend it unless you are wanting more turn).
Overall I really like the disc. Would love to see it in ESP plastic and hopefully a Stable ESP run. It's a good disc and I am bagging it right now.
Similar to a Tresspass with a little more turn and a little less fade.
**I do not think it is like a Katana that much, its a smaller rim, less dramatic S-shape in the air.
If you grip it and rip too hard or roll your wrist it can turn and burn, but mostly did not see this problem. Good disc!

Really liked this disc this weekend. If Discraft Keeps the stability consistent this could be a really excellent driver. My fear is that the disc will become too flippy....if it stays in this sweet spot it will be a disc I will likely bag, especially if ESP comes out and is not any more understable than the Z I have now. Really nice disc. Comfortable, nice flight, workable for all skill levels (except brand new players, I say stick to speed 9 drivers)

Have now thrown my Big Z a bit and can say for sure this is my favorite Discraft driver ever. Haven't been able to throw on my home course yet, so I am not sure how this is going to play out vs. Terns, but this disc is easier for me to turn without going to the ground. Just a real fun easy to throw driver.

Does the Thrasher have a shallow rim depth like the Tern? I see it listed on the PDGA as a 1.1 depth / is everyone seeing that as accurate?

I don't think it's that shallow. My guess is somewhere between Crank, which feels really deep to me, and Tern.

Does the Thrasher have a shallow rim depth like the Tern? I see it listed on the PDGA as a 1.1 depth / is everyone seeing that as accurate?

Yep, 1.1cm rim depth on Thrasher, per PDGA specs. Discraft has been using the shallower 1.1 depth on some of their other drivers too recently.

Yep, 1.1cm rim depth on Thrasher, per PDGA specs. Discraft has been using the shallower 1.1 depth on some of their other drivers too recently.

I can't FH drivers that are shallow like that (1.1cm). Could never get a solid grip on the Tern or the Insanity (both 1.1cm). I need to get to a PIAS to feel up some Inertias or an Archon because they are supposed to have the deeper 1.2 depth.

I can't FH drivers that are shallow like that (1.1cm). Could never get a solid grip on the Tern or the Insanity (both 1.1cm). I need to get to a PIAS to feel up some Inertias or an Archon because they are supposed to have the deeper 1.2 depth.

I hear ya on that. Inertia and Archon are both 1.2cm depth, so might be worth a look. Good luck to you.

It does not feel as shallow. Has a more 'full' grip feeling than a Tern. The Tern feels thinner and pointier in my opinion (its fact really)

Thrasher has a good feel, not too thin or shallow or pointy

I guess I was thinking Width and Bulk

if JUST depth....not sure, but feels fine.

If anyone ever gets to throw Z and Big Z side by side, I'd love to get opinions on relative stability. I love the Big Z so much I'm tempted to add a Z.

If anyone ever gets to throw Z and Big Z side by side, I'd love to get opinions on relative stability. I love the Big Z so much I'm tempted to add a Z.

Of what I've seen in Discraft molds, Big Z seems to be a touch less stable than regular Z. I love both plastics though.

I haven't found all 1.1 cm rims to be created equal. For instance the DDx and FD are both listed as 1.1, but FD feels normal to me while the DDx is distinctly shallow.