• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ThrowaEnvy straightening out my Gyro bag for summer

Which Axiom Driver to try: I have all MVP drivers...

• Insanity

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Wrath

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Vanish

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Defy

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Tenacity

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters

ThrowaEnvy

GyrO Activation Technician.
Premium Member
Hey so the annual tournament is a month away and I need to pick the discs I'm playing with so I can get some intense practice in and sharpen up.

I'm playing deep woods golf, majority of the holes are 170'-260' with a four long ones. 27 holes and it plays around and up and down a small mountain... I'm only using the Nutsac so it will be an 8 to 10 disc bag... Mainly MVP and I have a few Axiom. I might be throwing 350' primarily BH and usually lighter discs.
---------------

So the ones that are guaranteed ITB is:
165g Proton Envy main putter and stable approach
165g Relay main fairway

The pretty sure are:
143 fission Photon it's new to my bag but seasoned. I'm pretty sure has a spot as a utility stable, distance and thumbers. A 160 candy pro firebird would be the other option.

174G Glow Z Comet, straight to stable mid. It's only contender might be a different condition of Comet, possibly my Tursas.
-----------–-------------

My 170g N Tangent got a little too flippy for me to throw it flat, it's backup is too stable still and it's thrown my bag since it was a dependable low ceiling tunnel shooter and downhill neutral disc.

To fill this slot I'm pretty hot with the 174 Skulboy Vertex right now I know it's flipper but it's easy to hyzer and expect the flip plus it will fade a touch. The 165 proton Spin has also found itself in competition for similar shots but because it is slower it turns a little faster will continue the turn which is handy too. Plus it doubles as a putter. One of those two will be in the bag, maybe both.

176g first run Axis, 178 watermelon proxy, 165 plasma proxy, bunch of Anodes I haven't thrown for a year+. The 170g theory and 165 soft Proxy's and I don't really get along. I do have a 177 vertex coming and two heart of chains atoms one light one heavy.... I do go mid / putter heavy and interchange for 150' - 220' shots.
----------------

Drivers
The Photon or FB have the stable slot... one of my top options is 155 inertias beat and fresh, others are a new 172 Signal, 155 / 166 Orbital, 169 Wave, 170 fr volt and friends, switch and Octane haha, Roadrunners.

On the wish list I think is a vanish or tenacity but let me know what you think..

if you are mid heavy, go with a matrix, comet and vertex. should give you all the drive lines needed. putters are a personal thing so work what's best for you.

if you are going for a driver, the insanity is my choice. team it up with a wrath and you should have your bag set covering understable and stable-overstable lines.

sounds like my bag currently.
169 n. trace 156n. tesla, 167 n. tesla (fh only disc), 172n. inspire (which carves great lines), 171 n. matrix, 177 or. matrix, 178 n./pr. blend theory, 172 n. theory. 172 n. envy and a 169 n. ion

Maybe try out the original gyro golf disc?
DG1017.jpg

if you are mid heavy, go with a matrix, comet and vertex. should give you all the drive lines needed. putters are a personal thing so work what's best for you.

Yeah my putter is sorted with the Envy but we are at a weird spot I need to carry something 165g so I can switch out like a Spin maybe the Atom I haven't thrown. Envy covers my stable mid slot pretty good, that or Z Comet, I'm curious about the matrix but an Axiom Driver is the next addition.

Inspire sounds cool it is smart money is for me to check out something 21.5mm and smaller.

Yeah my putter is sorted with the Envy but we are at a weird spot I need to carry something 165g so I can switch out like a Spin maybe the Atom I haven't thrown. Envy covers my stable mid slot pretty good, that or Z Comet, I'm curious about the matrix but an Axiom Driver is the next addition.

Inspire sounds cool it is smart money is for me to check out something 21.5mm and smaller.

the inspire i throw is like a valkyrie. it will turn bit and then fade a bit. if thrown on a steep anny it will turn over but not be a roller. i find that the inspire is much more useful than any crave, clash, insanity i have ever thrown.

Signal is hella useful in the woods, especially if you don't have much of a FH.

Got a 172 Signal from gripenemy it's been working a little backhand and forehand. Even at that weight it is easy to forehand.

Got back from Sunday doubles, heavy Proxy is out, Spin is in and the Vertex even if they are a little redundant.

My driver lineup is in shambles... got some good flat drives with 166 Orbital but bad uphill drives the Signal might get some action next round.. I might have to see how stable my newer 155 inertia is..

Inspire might be good but I use the Relay pretty well will it do much different?

Last edited:
I like my Vanish. A nice long, gentle turn when thrown flat and straight with a slight fade on a hyzer flip. I'm still breaking in my Insanity and haven't figured it out yet except that it has nice fairway distance.

The Signal is that disc you don't realize you need until you really need it. It's hard to justify a niche utility disc like that in a Nut Sac but if you know your course...

Inspire is a little more nose angle sensitive than the Relay but I don't know, seem similar depending on your power. If you're good with the Inertias the Inspire, Insanity, and Vanish might be redundant. Out of what you've got listed in the poll in terms of gaps to fill, I'm leaning towards the Wrath to give you a HSS distance alternative to the Photon. I voted Insanity though so what do I know?

The Signal is that disc you don't realize you need until you really need it. It's hard to justify a niche utility disc like that in a Nut Sac but if you know your course...

Inspire is a little more nose angle sensitive than the Relay but I don't know, seem similar depending on your power. If you're good with the Inertias the Inspire, Insanity, and Vanish might be redundant. Out of what you've got listed in the poll in terms of gaps to fill, I'm leaning towards the Wrath to give you a HSS distance alternative to the Photon. I voted Insanity though so what do I know?

I've had a few good runs with the Signal but have only test thrown it, powers down great and might fill a stable mid/ trick slot too.

I was wondering what you voted for... I was thinking about something stable, my bag is missing an Eagle or Stalker tight S disc... the Wave is close but I'm not getting enough power on it right now. How severe is the fade on the Wrath?

I've had a few good runs with the Signal but have only test thrown it, powers down great and might fill a stable mid/ trick slot too.

I was wondering what you voted for... I was thinking about something stable, my bag is missing an Eagle or Stalker tight S disc... the Wave is close but I'm not getting enough power on it right now. How severe is the fade on the Wrath?

I'm just an Insanity fanboi. It's a nice, workable, understable distance driver.

I like the Volt for a tight S, you might just have to find the right flavor of Volt for your power. The Servo is good too and easier to get up to speed. The fade on the Wrath isn't real harsh but it really resists turning. They're generally referred to as mellow Teslas and that seems ballpark.

I was looking on the MVP website... I should try my Switch again for a straight driver, when I bought it I was hoping it was less stable but it might fit in the bag now as a straight flyer according to the flight rating, my Relay OS sorta. I should try it again and stop badmouthing it for a week.

I used to use the Wave for that slot but it is just more proof I have lost power with the lack in legwork. On the plus side I have developed a smoother lid kind of understable throw.

After some solid driver testing... results are the same.. I think my 170 Wave is about the upper limit of my throw. Octane and Volt are probably not going to happen, I will try the Volt again and the Switch against the servo. Likely my driver lineup is:

Still the Relay, I think double up on the Orbital take 155 for sure and 167 likely. One 155 inertia probably the fresh one.

It leaves me pretty redundant for anything downhill, still not sure about the stable slot I'm leaning toward the Photon in fission 143 as a trick and OH just because of the weight but it's disastrous as a BH disc for me I'm never sure about how much turn it will get. Signal I'm not sure about I think the Orbital is more familiar right now but I'm getting a seasoned Valkyrie flight so it's tempting.

Voting is strong for the vanish.. I will look for one about 160 ish I think. Maybe a 170 Relay

Double tap...

Voting is strong for the vanish.. I will look for one about 160 ish I think. Maybe a 170 Relay or 166 plasma inertia

Three post do I get a reward for my soliloquies?

So there's a thread about disc weights and obsessive worryin about it since I'm mildly obsessive I weighed my bag.. My Wave that I thought was heavy and having trouble get up to speed is a 159 my switch that I shelved is a 166 so is all three of my proton Envy's.... Seems to be a lucky weight.

The Switch is in the bag I researched the old thread and threw it all morning it does exactly what I want, easy tight s turnovers with a predictable late dump... my Eagle, lightly stable, Relay OS slot is filled. It used to be volt territory but I'm not quite getting it up to speed from a standstill throw.

Still looking for advice on filling out the bag and my axiom driver addition or two.

still need a wrath. lol

but honestly... I still vote inspire. a bit on the heavier side... it will give you that call line you were after. or go to the insanity... it's just faster but do it in the low 160s

still need a wrath. lol

but honestly... I still vote inspire. a bit on the heavier side... it will give you that call line you were after. or go to the insanity... it's just faster but do it in the low 160s

Thanks man, I was actually sort of seriously thinking about the Wrath at a light weight if I trip over one same with the inspire maybe I will look for a 170ish when my Relay wears in more. The Insanity sounds pretty cool too I have heard a few people say it's Roadrunner ish.

The tournament is here! Thanks for the votes if I discount my vote it's a tie between the vanish and insanity I'm going to see what they have early... also going to keep an eye out for the new MJ Comet and the Matrix I swear I'm almost more fired up about the disc vendor then the actual playing haha My name is Mike, I'm a plastic whore.

I should have titled this noodle arm gyro bag... its setting up about the way I thought prime workhorses are:

Envy and Spin
Vertex
Relay, Switch, Orbital.

Backups: Comet, Inertia, heavier Orbital

Dumped the Photon, Atom and Whitler for now.. Not enough practice with them.

Thanks for the input!

The poll is still going and I got neither haha...

Ran an all gyro bag got a sixth in open masters and an ace with a late addition Axis substitution for the Comet, shot well only regret is the six on 24....

Thanks guys!