• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ThrowaEnvy straightening out my Gyro bag for summer

Which Axiom Driver to try: I have all MVP drivers...

• Insanity

Votes: 24 49.0%
  • Wrath

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Vanish

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Defy

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Tenacity

Votes: 3 6.1%

• Total voters
Insanity is money.

Yeah man sure sounds that way... I tried ordering one with my soft electron Envy's but by the time I broke down it was already in the mail. I will buy a plasma insanity and a probably a Vanish both sound pretty awesome

Got both insanity and vanish... going to see how they fit into the bag at first week either seem like a decent option. I like how the Insanity feels and flies like a more stable Roadrunner, but I like the vanish for long turning downhill annys.

Sunday doubles was up at my place this weekend... stacked my bag with putters: spin, plasma proxy, soft electron Envy x 2. Played Cali pulled up a tie for lead and a second on the ctp throw off.

Damn that Proxy is straight, used it twice as a second shot redemption and it did well. Also as a first drive on two 40 degree downhill shots. Soft E Envy was almost an identical flyer downhill.

I may be dabbling with the Proxy and pushing a 4 putter bag.. I think I could pretty much use any MVP putter happily, but four is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Still farting around with that Proxy like it but not loving it in my bag... I lent a guy my fresh N Tangent. I told him to hit lots of trees for a couple weeks then I will give him my well seasoned one back in trade. It will fit his arm better and his bag but he needs to learn to power it up.. Less swish more ooomph.

Really digging the 158 Vanish/ 169 Insanity combo it's kinda like a uphill or downhill thing change the club. Insanity is pretty stable at shorter distance or uphill but with more power it reacts well... the vanish fit into the bag seamlessly as a control distance driver, stealing bag space from the Orbital and the Inertia.. and complementary to the Relay on steep uphill tunnels.

The Insanity is holding straight to stable distance space beside a Switch. Pretty workable but needs some breaking in.

Tournament bag packed for Cortes... took about 20 discs.. Only two comets and a star 165 Cortes Roadrunner, the rest are over molds. I'm still looking forward to bagging a Signal but it has been a difficult mold to figure out.. There's a threshold for turning it over that I can't quite dial in.

Top of bag 2 soft E Envy, Spin, Vertex, fr Axis, Switch, Relay, Vanish. Proton Envy but I'm waffling..

Lead options:

165g Star Roadrunner vs 155 Orbital
Eclipse Axis vs glow Z Comet vs 176 ESP 2nd run Comet
Plasma proxy vs worn 170 Tangent
Proton Envy vs N Atom
143g fission Photon or 155 Inertia

Pretty much got space for 3 or 4 of the above discs in double nutsac.. Might switch to the tournament bag though just to pack extra water.

If anyone has advice it's welcomed...

Found my Package Express Discgolf team shirt that I should have worn for the tourney here... its got Johnny Mac's PDGA number on it going to kick some ass and be obnoxious and awesome in his memory. "F*** Cancer"!
... the man had Disc Golf tattooed across his knuckles.

Do you need to bring any distance drivers? I've never played the farm course so I'm not sure what to pack myself. For the public course I can't really think of any holes that would require more than a mid or a slow fairway driver. Does Big Stupid Guy have any long holes (that are not off a cliff)?

I'll probably just bring my normal, home course set up:

170 beat Plasma Envy (basically beat into a perfect Proxy)
175 fresh Neutron Envy
180 FR Eclipse Axis
175 Neutron Matrix (pretty fresh SE stamp)
Old ugly flat GL Trident
170 well worn MJLS (will replace with Relay when it's time to retire ol' Johnny Long'n'Straight)
170 wings Rival
FR Volt
168 Champ Firebird

If I need to bag distance drivers it will be 156 Neutron Wave, 155 Proton Defy and probably my super worked in but still dependable in a headwind 170 S-PD.

I guess I'm the one looking for advice :)

Do you need to bring any distance drivers? I've never played the farm course so I'm not sure what to pack myself. For the public course I can't really think of any holes that would require more than a mid or a slow fairway driver. Does Big Stupid Guy have any long holes (that are not off a cliff)?

I'll probably just bring my normal, home course set up:

170 beat Plasma Envy (basically beat into a perfect Proxy)
175 fresh Neutron Envy
180 FR Eclipse Axis
175 Neutron Matrix (pretty fresh SE stamp)
Old ugly flat GL Trident
170 well worn MJLS (will replace with Relay when it's time to retire ol' Johnny Long'n'Straight)
170 wings Rival
FR Volt
168 Champ Firebird

If I need to bag distance drivers it will be 156 Neutron Wave, 155 Proton Defy and probably my super worked in but still dependable in a headwind 170 S-PD.

I guess I'm the one looking for advice :)

You should be pretty set buddy... I gotta get myself a 165 plasma envy...

Played Dave McGregors today and about 7 holes at Ray's last night... I needed more of my specialty discs then I thought... lots of hard anny and hyzer lines and some wicked tight tunnels... Ray's has some distance shots... kinda wishing I had a more stable mid in my bag but that's where the Relay helps. The heat here is a factor everything is throwing a touch less stable then normal.

Axis and Comet both in the bag beside my Vertex. I added the 155 Orbital and 143 Photon. Relay is doing lots of work as usual.

If I was you I'd bring the Wave and maybe something understable and wingy.. I haven't played the main course yet

Shot 20 down on Cortes with an Ace... won Masters and tied the best overall score for open.. Next time I'm playing open..

Final bag setup:
2x Electron Envy's, P Spin, Vertex, ESP Comet
Relay, Switch, Fission Photon, Vanish and unused Orbital

Next year I have to be consistent with the Signal and take it, the Orbital was fading out of the uphill anhyzers.
Really need to break in my heavy Relay.
Also need a better Mid in the straight to stable dept, I missed my Tangent.

Might wanna try matrix for straight-stable mid or either axis/vector if you prefer a typically-shaped mid. Matrix is quite shallow

Might wanna try matrix for straight-stable mid or either axis/vector if you prefer a typically-shaped mid. Matrix is quite shallow

Roger that, I've handled one Matrix that a buddy throws, I like the flight he gets out of it, it is rather appealing and on the wish list. I didn't get along with my Vectors... love my Axis but it is too glidey for the range I'm using it.

Roger that, I've handled one Matrix that a buddy throws, I like the flight he gets out of it, it is rather appealing and on the wish list. I didn't get along with my Vectors... love my Axis but it is too glidey for the range I'm using it.

Alias. The Matrix glides pretty good, similar to an Axis. Alias is slower, less glidey and very predictably straight. Like a stable putter flight in the shape of a mid.

Alias. The Matrix glides pretty good, similar to an Axis. Alias is slower, less glidey and very predictably straight. Like a stable putter flight in the shape of a mid.

Which one dumps the hardest at the end of flight? Alias, Matrix or Vector? I should probably revisit the Vector... but it wasn't good for me for FH.

With all the votes for the Insanity and now that I'm a month between tourneys I will give it a real run in the bag for a few weeks beside the Signal and some 172 N inertias I picked up with the Cortes Dawg Daze stamp...I'm real happy with my core bag setup right now but there's room for a few optionals.

Which one dumps the hardest at the end of flight? Alias, Matrix or Vector? I should probably revisit the Vector... but it wasn't good for me for FH.

With all the votes for the Insanity and now that I'm a month between tourneys I will give it a real run in the bag for a few weeks beside the Signal and some 172 N inertias I picked up with the Cortes Dawg Daze stamp...I'm real happy with my core bag setup right now but there's room for a few optionals.

I'd say in order from most dump to least: domey Vector > domey Matrix > flat Vector>Alias>flat Matrix. I haven't thrown many Matrices and Aliases though. The proton Alias I had was a hard 0, 2. The neutron Alias I have is -.5, 1 although they looked identical. I really hate I lost that proton Alias, it flew a lot like those really good, flat C-MD2's.

Most to least: Early Vectors > Neutron Matrix > Vector > Flat proton Matrix > Alias :\

I carry Neutron Deflector for meathook, Neutron Matrix straight to fade and Proton Alias for super-straight/anhyzer shots.

Matrix is superb for sidearm too :p

Yeah thanks, I've definitely got an eye out for a Matrix... threw my fresh domey vector in the bag, maybe I should bag my first run Vector too to be fair to the mold. I've kind of left a hole in the bag removing my Proton Envy for the E softs. It's funny how a one disc change shuffles the rest of the bag.

Got a lot of white MVP stuff going to play a stormtrooper round Sunday, either that or a retro round play my old bag pre gyro or at least bring my 2nd run ion for my partners sake... maybe a most expensive/ valuable disc round... 2nd run ion, 1st run ESP Comet, watermelon proxy, evil dead dye Roadrunner, CE Firebird, would a fr Volt count haha I can't throw that FB worth s*** maybe my 160 proline FB.

Been running the stormtrooper bag for a few weeks + the Insanity.... Did a little light sanding to the bottom of it to take off the flashing and I'm much happier with the results. It's still not quite like my broken in inertia the fresh 167 Insanity is close to my fresh ish 157 inertia. There's a guy here with a fission Photon he found that he can't throw, number is not in service I'm going to see if he will trade it for a River I don't want any one else out here discoverin the awesomeness.. Haha selfish me.

The Vector I'm really liking this time around for straight throws that fade and breaking out of turnovers

Got my N Tangent back in the bag.. Pretty happy about it I lent it to a guy to break in for me for a few months and it is nice! I'm thinking about buying an eclipse one and trying to cycle it early this time. Going to be some hard decisions again I can one disc like a fiend with it... probably keep the Vertex and maybe the Vector and leave the Comet at home again.

Last edited:
Threw the hell out of my Comet and Tangent on the weekend at the Triple Crown Tournament... three course's in a day started off at my place, then Jim's, then set up the public course the way it used to be fifteen years ago..
So I won and set a record -31 for 36 holes (doubles for the first 27)
view

Played a smart bag: Relay which I didn't use much, Switch , Comet and Tangent, Proton Envy, plasma envy and the proton Spin. Took a vanish along for the ride but it stayed in the bag.

The honeymoon has ended with the e soft Envy's I still love the feel but the flight is getting understableish, I loved them brand new it got me through some tourneys. Plasma is the prime putter right now...

Last edited:
I've decided heavily to invest in my overall bag coolness by getting some custom work done on an orange plasma Envy and a blue Tangent.. I'm not 100% sure what I want.. Definitely an evil dead Ash pose silhouette probably on the plasma envy since it will blur later. Maybe he can do a Disc outline in his off hand and of course chainsaw arm on the right.

Thinking about a Deathstar print on the Tangent
s-l500.jpg

Or Walter "mark it as zero!"

Latest posts