• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Throwing 1st runs

I don't really like first run discs because if I throw them and they turn out to be better than later runs it only means I'm going to have to pay more for the first run down the road. Even if they don't throw better they're going to cost more (except Grooves) because they cost more at retail, at least with Innova.
thats kinda sad for the industry. that means they made a product. turned a profit. made a ****tier product out of the the SAME.DAMN.MOLD and still turned a profit.

any company in any other industry that makes a ****tier form of the same product over time will not last. why does disc golf accept this as a normality???????

Currently in my bag I have a FR champion Boss, FR Champion Wraith, FR Champion Spider and FR Champion Edition Leopard. I have backups on my wall that are in mint condition. I enjoy looking at them all shiny and new for the time being, but if one in my bag gets lost or worn out then another will take its place....*1000th post.

Currently in my bag I have a FR champion Boss, FR Champion Wraith, FR Champion Spider and FR Champion Edition Leopard. I have backups on my wall that are in mint condition. I enjoy looking at them all shiny and new for the time being, but if one in my bag gets lost or worn out then another will take its place....*1000th post.

congrats on the 1,000. PARTY PARTY!!!:clap::thmbup:

gratz on the post count!

I only have one First Run I think. A nuke ss so that didn't really strike me as rare or being collectible anytime soon. I like to throw them not wall hang. To each their own though.

isnt the mold ALWAYS tweaked? is there any discs out there today from any company where the current production run is the same as the first runs? thats why i never throw them...pretty to look at though:thmbup:

always throw the 1st runs and more expensive stuff. Seems I concentrate more and do better, must be why I get more aces with those discs.

Whenever I try to hang discs on the wall, I look at them and say, "I really want to throw that." So I take them off the wall to throw. I have a couple aces and autographs on the wall, but that's all. I still have my USDGC rocs in the bags. It's a good thing I don't usually throw Rocs, makes the urge to throw these beauties much less.

always throw the 1st runs and more expensive stuff. Seems I concentrate more and do better, must be why I get more aces with those discs.

see im the exact opposite...i play alone quite frequently (enjoy the pace, lack of time, etc) so i think TOO much when throwing expensive plastic. the thought of losing an "investment" has actually made me "lose an investment." i also never threw any collectable discs when they came out really, except maybe champ cobras - so the attachment was never there.

side note, i have no idea how old you are or what your lifestyle is but being 22 with a daughter going to school i dont exactly have the capital to "play" with expensive things lol (xbox games dont get thrown, but cost the same as collectible plastic)

Last edited:
I'm with grip. I used to carry a couple barstamp buzzzes, one that I stole at FlyMart for only $12. And even knowing that they were worth $50+, I'd hesitate to throw them on shots with water/tall grass, etc.

Having said that, there are a couple discs I throw all the time that are worth probably $10 on the open market, but are worth $100 to me because they're beat exactly where I want them. And I hesitate to throw those just as often.

Having said that, there are a couple discs I throw all the time that are worth probably $10 on the open market, but are worth $100 to me because they're beat exactly where I want them. And I hesitate to throw those just as often.

i hear ya on that point, but BECAUSE that disc is beat perfectly i tend to throw them better...its a trust thing. for the record, ive also never had a beat-to-my-specifications rare disc (ive had beat ones, but never one that i got brand new and beat that much).

I usually throw the disc unless it is really different from production. If this happens then I simply sell it and use the production run or look for something that is easily replaceable.

Cheers - Koffee

I could fill my bag up with collectibles, but then I'd become accustomed to something that is gonna cost me $$$ to replace. I want to use all common molds and plastic unless the collectible will really help my game and I can't find anything in production that will do what I need.
I do have 3 KC Pro Cheetahs in my bag, but I can't find anything else that can fill that slot.
I also use a CE Eagle X, but I haven't found anything else that flies like it does - but I'm working on it.
Ultimately, I'd like to transition to an all-production bag.

I'm a stockpiled a few too many back-ups for my back-ups and also for their back-ups and should really stop buying any more back-ups since I also don't lose as many as I used too ~ kinda guy

Improved game led to fewer lost discs in the thick. Leaves fell later this year and once the water haz freeze, all we have to worry about is deeper snow. The good stuff will have to stay home on those days. I wish I could break them in sometime though, but its already dark at 5pm when ya get outta work.