• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing from a standstill

I only throw from a standstill when i have to and i don't agree that it is a more accurate way to throw a disc. I think it is easier to impart direction and momentum stepping into a throw and I don't think you should spend hours in the field learning to throw from a standstill if you have found that taking a small step is more comfortable. You don't see baseball teams drilling throwing a baseball from a standstill, they step and throw. Here's a video a schultz tearing up a short course with lots of sub-200' holes and he's always stepping and throwing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTD4cITdQtw

For me, the key to throwing accurately from a standstill is keeping my reach back consistent. When I get my torso turned on the reach back and pull through like I do on a normal drive, I find that my accuracy increases a ton. On short, tighter courses I almost always throw from a standstill. If I'm throwing badly on a tight course, it's usually because I've changed my throwing motion by taking out the reach back. Plus the reach back almost forces you to transfer that weight between your feet.

When I feel like my drives are starting to be very erratic, I take out the x-step and start throwing from a standstill to get the timing of my release back in check.

I have to agree with MikeC. and not just because that sentence rhymes. I started out with an X-step throwing RHBH and became very comfortable doing so, not accurate or consistent by any means, but comfortable. Well, fast forward to now and I've had to start over from scratch throwing LHBH, and decided to do so from a standstill. Doing so has improved my form ten-fold. It became glaringly apparent after a few throws that I was simply trying too hard on my X-step throws, sacrificing form for what I equated to "power"(a misnomer indeed). Throwing from a standstill has shown me that power comes not from force, effort or foot speed, but from controlled timing and weight shift. Sure it was a bit uncomfortable at first, but so was a backhand in general. If you(anyone) wants to improve(at anything) learn all you can as best you can. If nothing else, throwing from a standstill has vastly improved my approaches from difficult lies, drives from the ever prevalent hazardous tees, and my understanding of the proper physics/mechanics of a good throw. It's not like you won't still be able to X-step when conditions allow, in fact your X-step will most certainly improve with the mastering of a standstill drive. Why, you might ask? Well, simply because it slows down the process and makes one acutely aware of what's required to throw correctly. If for no other reason learn to stand and deliver because it's another option to have in your arsenal....and it's nice to have options.

if you're having trouble throwing from a standstill it's probably due to your body positioning. if you're throwing backhand you want your back foot offset with the line your front foot and your target are on. this allows you to put the disc on the line much easier and keep it there through your backswing and pull through.

for me throwing from a standstill is far more accurate but it takes practice just like anything. just because you haven't figured it out yet doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Slightly off topic, but if you have a background in Ultimate you have to be able to throw well both BH & FH from a standstill.....as them are the rules.

I've never had a problem throwing from a standstill. That's how I started (yes, ultimate background). But it didn't teach me to shift my weight correctly. As I have still not figured that out. My thought is that a stationary back foot, and a drop step with the lead foot is better at teaching a proper weight shift.

About a year ago I was in a slump and decided to practice my standstill throw. Accuracy went way up and I didn't really lose much distance. Sure if I'm having a good day I could hit 400 with a full run up, but most of the courses I play don't need more than 350 with accuracy. I started adding the run up again and I have good and bad days...i simply don't have the time to put in the practice reps. So I think I'm content with the standstill throw.

a solid standstill throw is golden when the weather and footing gets gross on winter months. If I can get some video I'll post it, I feel like I get a full weight transfer.

I found that when I started playing tournaments it was much easier to throw from standstill and not worry about where my foot was in relation to the mark. I tend to just pick up the front foot slightly to shift weight back and forth. It's similar to a golf or baseball swing where you pick up the front foot.

I found that I had next to no nose angle problems throwing from a standstill compared to a run up. I'm a firm believer in the fewer the motions the less room for error. For me and the amount of time I can put into dg it works, if you have the time to practice the full shebang that's obviously gonna lead to more distance if you can master it.

I may have the worst form in disc golf with an x-step. Do you know where my disc is going, cause I sure as hell don't. Taking out the x-step and slowing down my entire throw allows me to work on getting good form down. I'm seeing immediate results.

I throw everything from a standstill, and if I try even taking a single step everything suffers. I'm sure this is because I don't practice throwing with steps, and I imagine I will add steps in the future, but for now simply dropping the front heel is enough for a good weight shift. I find that if I try stepping into the throw then I end up lunging forward and the rest of the throw falls apart.

As far as which is easier to teach/learn.. I imagine it depends on which method the teacher is most confident in. I shouldn't be teaching anyone anything, but I'm pretty confident that I could get someone who doesn't have super bad habits formed already to throw the way I do. I focus mostly on acceleration, and loading the disc deep into the pocket, and hitting the grip angle/pinch at the right time. That's plenty to focus on without adding any steps for me at my level of muscle memory development. When it's working I can regularly park 360' holes, even on the low ceiling wooded courses I play, but I still have a long way to go to make that "when it's working" become "at will".

...............but I still have a long way to go to make that "when it's working" become "at will".

Me too. I started playing disc golf last November with a full run-up and the run-up was the first thing that I eliminated. My throws immediately improved. On drives I still do a very slow x-step to help my timing though. My approaches that are around or under 200' are always "stand and deliver" for more control.

Curtis

I decided to start working on my standstill full power shots. After 1 day in the field I can see that this is going to be a worthwhile experiment. I was all over the place but when my form was right it just felt right. I played like $%#@ this weekend, which is what inspired me to do this.