• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Thunderbird vs. Vulture vs. Anax

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
I decided it was time to hit the practice field today and throw these 3 molds head to head. I've thrown Thunderbirds for years, and threw the Vulture for the first time last week. Thunderbirds and Vultures I had thrown before today, so I had a good idea what to expect. Both discs are of unknown weight, but aren't below 170g.

No great surprises there.
Vulture: 10, 5, 0, 2.
Thunderbird: 9, 5, 0, 2.

Vulture and Thunderbird overlap almost perfectly. The Vulture's a speed faster, but I didn't find it any longer than the Thunderbird. The Vulture is a little stubborn. If you don't throw it hard and flat it'll stall out listlessly and fade short. The Thunderbird didn't seem as prone to this. Both discs were doing a steady 350-375'. Straight flights followed by a moderate late fade.

The Anax is where things get interesting. Today was the first time I'd seen or thrown an Anax. Number-wise it seems very similar to the Vulture. The Anax is listed at 10, 6, 0, 3. Nice dome on this disc. Not massive, but definitely not flat. Mine is a big Z of unknown weight. Hand feel is a little strange. Compared to the Vulture the Anax has a deeper rim with a sharper bottom edge. It reminds me quite a bit of an Avenger rim.

Immediately I noticed that despite having similar numbers the Anax and Vulture weren't alike at all. They seem to fly the same speed, but the Anax is way floatier. It also seemed to have noticeable high speed turn. Thrown hard and flat the Anax would slowly start drifting right. Sometimes it would flex out beautifully, and other times it would continue right and die off. The Anax flew well across the wind or downwind, however it did poorly in headwinds. I turned and burned the Anax multiple times trying to hyzerflip it into a headwind (not a really strong one either).

For a disc this slow the Anax is long. It was routinely beating the Thunderbird and Vulture by 20-30'. I figure I was getting it out to about 400' routinely. The Anax has great glide and seems to float merrily along before gently fading. The extra glide seemed to hurt this disc in the wind. It got pushed around a lot.

Conclusion: While the Thunderbird and Vulture are very similar, the Anax is something else entirely. It is much longer and glidier than either of them. The Anax seemed to do better on lower power releases. Every time I really tried to lean into this disc I seemed to either grip lock it or turn and burn it. I found that I needed a little hyzer release to maximize the Anax's performance. The Anax is a nice disc, but almost an awkward one. I didn't feel very consistent or accurate with it. It flips randomly and often won't come back. Distance is there though.

My Anax numbers (based on a sample size of 1): 10, 6, -1, 2.

Despite me only giving it -1 turn this disc will definitely flip over hard if you get too assertive with it. The glide rating is legit. Much floatier than I was expecting. Not a good disc for windy conditions. I need to pick a calmer day and go try it again. Honestly, the Anax almost reminded me of a somewhat faster Undertaker. The Anax seems to be a "touch" disc. By that I mean you need to finesse it to get maximum performance. Trying to rip the Anax at 100% power for max distance produced a lot of griplocks and hard flips. The late fade is gradual and prolonged. It isn't really enough to bring a flipped drive back to center. The Anax isn't a bad driver at all, but I don't have a need for it in the bag. I found it almost a bit finicky.

Last edited:
One of us got a dud.

The Anax I have is beefy and not really glidey. My Vultures have a touch of high speed turn and decent glide.

If I assigned my own numbers for comparison it would probably be something like this.

Vulture - 10/5/-.5/1.5

Anax - 10/4/0/3

For reference, I only have the one Anax and it is either a prototype or first run. I have five or six Vultures.

I am also old, max out around 350 on a good day, and never play below 5,000 feet so take that into consideration.

The esp anax tend to be more stable/overstable but is still glidey and long. The 1060s seem to fit between what you're describing and the production esp. If you are not a fan of that big Z I wouldnt mind giving it a try. I could trade an esp for it.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I have stopped throwing PDs after years because the last few runs are glide-less and quite overstable. My 3rd runs were beautiful workable control drivers. The last runs of embossed are utility OS drivers. More OS than a sexton firebird

I find the Vulture to be less stable than a Thunderbird. The ESP Vulture I have I'd rate it 9/5/-1/2. The Thunderbirds closest to the Vulture would be my GStar ones. In fact, they definitely overlap. Champion 3x Thunderbirds are similar too with 4x Thunderbirds being the most stable of the group. Star Thunderbirds are wonderfully beefy bricks, at least the run I have are. I've since heard they've taken the beef out.

I haven't thrown an Anax, simply because I have enough Thunderbirds already.

This may be my favorite category of disc. OLF, Thundys, Anax, Vulture, avenger, starfire, beat in Pred, kasta lots all awesome discs

Discmania killed the P-PD, which I thought flew the best of all of them (aside from beat in S-PD) long ago.

Finding a P-PD flight, off the shelf, is probably still important to a lot of people.
I agreed. A good beat in domey s line PD was magic and a P-PD was a good substitute. New S CD2s are close but I don't trust them like the PD. My 1060 anax (they are domier) remind me a lot of a good domey freak stamp S line.

Discmania killed the P-PD, which I thought flew the best of all of them (aside from beat in S-PD) long ago.

Finding a P-PD flight, off the shelf, is probably still important to a lot of people.

The Montgomery Swirly S Line PDs from last year have the old PD flight. If they can make them in regular S Line we'll be back to the good old days.

I feel like the Ti-Vulture (or the one I got) fits that bill. Vulture "clicks" with me in several different areas.

This is where I would have gone with a Z XL that is a Teebird in flight despite the numbers. The ESP XL was and still is in limmited runs from those I have seen being thrown the flight of more the OS low dome/no dome L Eagle straight but that major hook up that the Eagle has. No dome/low dome X wing Eagle is nearly a Banshee in flight. I tend to now go with the Stalker for the OS though it is not as OS as people like. If I had to get a really OS disc, would go with a Raptor as that is close to what a Z FLX or very flexible run of Z is like in XL they had but since the XL is basically made in just a plastic that since mid 2006 to 2007 works only for putters and very slow midrange/fast approach putter disc type shot.

Last edited:
One of us got a dud.

The Anax I have is beefy and not really glidey. My Vultures have a touch of high speed turn and decent glide.

If I assigned my own numbers for comparison it would probably be something like this.

Vulture - 10/5/-.5/1.5

Anax - 10/4/0/3

For reference, I only have the one Anax and it is either a prototype or first run. I have five or six Vultures.

I am also old, max out around 350 on a good day, and never play below 5,000 feet so take that into consideration.

Interesting. With the Anax and Vulture I only have 1 of each, so that's what I'm basing my conclusions on. My Anax is a first run. It is quite a bit less stable than the Vulture. With the Anax I was able to flatten it out or turn it over pretty much at will.

Based on reading the observations of others I think I may have an abnormally flippy Anax. The glide is there though. Very floaty. I don't rate many drivers at 6, but this one is.

I've never thrown discs outside of CO, so I have zero clue how the flight differs at sea level. Weather was also a little unsettled and windy today. I'll throw the Anax some more on a calmer, warmer day.

I find the Vulture to be less stable than a Thunderbird. The ESP Vulture I have I'd rate it 9/5/-1/2. The Thunderbirds closest to the Vulture would be my GStar ones. In fact, they definitely overlap. Champion 3x Thunderbirds are similar too with 4x Thunderbirds being the most stable of the group. Star Thunderbirds are wonderfully beefy bricks, at least the run I have are. I've since heard they've taken the beef out.

I haven't thrown an Anax, simply because I have enough Thunderbirds already.

My Vulture is pretty damn beefy. Upon further reflection, this disc reminds me of a fresh Starfire or maybe even a McBeth Destroyer. I can flatten it out for good yardage, but if I miss my throw even a little the disc will flare out and stall way short.

The Anax was nothing like the Thunderbird or Vulture. Way longer, glidier, and flippier.

I have a Thunderbird in the bag now, and its going to stay there. I like the Vulture fine, but it doesn't do anything different than a Thunderbird. I see no need to switch. I should have added a Getaway to this mix today for an even better comparison.

Where does a stalker fit in here? a little slower and less fade? rim width seem to be similar between the thunderbird and stalker

My Vulture is pretty damn beefy. Upon further reflection, this disc reminds me of a fresh Starfire or maybe even a McBeth Destroyer. I can flatten it out for good yardage, but if I miss my throw even a little the disc will flare out and stall way short.

The Anax was nothing like the Thunderbird or Vulture. Way longer, glidier, and flippier.

I have a Thunderbird in the bag now, and its going to stay there. I like the Vulture fine, but it doesn't do anything different than a Thunderbird. I see no need to switch. I should have added a Getaway to this mix today for an even better comparison.

I have a vulture that could cover every line you described. The plastics can range very differently from 9/5/-1/2( beat up cd2) to 9/4/0/3( Sexton firebird)

Where does a stalker fit in here? a little slower and less fade? rim width seem to be similar between the thunderbird and stalker

A Stalker for me is something like 7, 5 ,-2, 1. Its a pretty good, straight flier out to about 340'. The Stalker will obviously go further than 340', but it starts turning a lot when you put big power on it.

Stalkers work well for controlled drives that you want to finish straight. Not much late fade at all.

So, straighter than a Vulture. 3 speeds slower too.

Having thrown the vulture and the Thundy a decent amount, I just want to suggest that you add the Kastaplast Lots to the mix. At 9,5,-1,2 the numbers aren't far off, and in my short experience with it so far, it has a huge sweet spot and is very easy to throw extremely accurately. Also K1 plastic is unreal nice.

The Anax never really came out of my hand like I wanted it to, so while it's very pretty it just never stayed in the bag.

I have a vulture that could cover every line you described. The plastics can range very differently from 9/5/-1/2( beat up cd2) to 9/4/0/3( Sexton firebird)

And doing all those shots while being controllable.

My comparison with the Vulture has been against a seasoned PD (probably flies like a Thunderbird), seasoned OLF, and a Getaway. PDs use to be one of my main drivers back in the day.

Out of the extensive throws that I have had with each, I chose the Vulture. I felt like I had more control and consistent distance than with the other discs. And yes, I was getting the same or more distance with the Vulture.

While I haven't thrown it against a Thunderbird, I have felt the rim and the Vulture is a little smaller than the Thunderbird. I know I get more control on smaller rim. That and I have heard the Thunderbird is a little more beefy than the Vulture which may not be what I want for some shots. However, I can get a beefy Vulture.

Anyway, I like the Vulture.

And doing all those shots while being controllable.

My comparison with the Vulture has been against a seasoned PD (probably flies like a Thunderbird), seasoned OLF, and a Getaway. PDs use to be one of my main drivers back in the day.

Out of the extensive throws that I have had with each, I chose the Vulture. I felt like I had more control and consistent distance than with the other discs. And yes, I was getting the same or more distance with the Vulture.

While I haven't thrown it against a Thunderbird, I have felt the rim and the Vulture is a little smaller than the Thunderbird. I know I get more control on smaller rim. That and I have heard the Thunderbird is a little more beefy than the Vulture which may not be what I want for some shots. However, I can get a beefy Vulture.

Anyway, I like the Vulture.

I love the PD , but the scarcity and inconsistency from run to run lead me to other discs. The cd2 was great when the roaming thunder 1 showed up. It gave over and understable in 1 mold. Again, scarcity with discmania lead me away.

Latest posts