• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Too many midrange molds?

I carry 4 rocs in different stages of wear.......and a zone. For me that covers everything. If I were you I would narrow it down to buzzes (different plastics or wear) maybe 3 or 4 of them and I would pick between the drone or the zone. If the buzzes are too stable then maybe throw a comet back in there. Just my two cents.

One midrange is one too many IMO.

KC Aviars fly just as far for me, more predictably, and have more versatility. Never had a midrange in the bag ever since playing open. Only very rarely felt like one was 'missing' from my bag.

That's what I was saying, but replace KC Aviars with my tasty and potent combo of Pigs, Ions and Pures. But I can get another 10 feet or so with my King Cobra, and it doesn't need any sort of height to get that D on a good, crisp line.

One midrange is one too many IMO.

KC Aviars fly just as far for me, more predictably, and have more versatility. Never had a midrange in the bag ever since playing open. Only very rarely felt like one was 'missing' from my bag.

Key word here is "open." You can probably throw a putter over 300 feet accurately. Most of us can't.

The courses I play are longer, so I never drive mids off the tee, but primarily use them for throws from 150-200 feet. It's a little far for a putter, and if I use a driver, I might overshoot the basket. A Vector, or Axis is perfect for these shots.

I pretty much use Pro Rocs for 95% of my game. I have a 177g Z Buzzz that tends to hook left on me at the end (RHBH), so I'll pull that out when the shot warrants it. Other than that, I feel like I can shape most shots with my Rocs. I started with a Classic Roc as my putter/midrange and ended up moving to the Rocs for midrange after I threw a few. I think what it boils down to is getting a few discs that you throw the most and are comfortable with.

the fade camo bag.. thats nearly complete!

2 champ king cobra's (one with a sweet nationals stamp from 2012 National Collegiate DG Championship)
2 gators (one star 168, one champ glow 175, still in need of one more :))
3 roc's (beat up dx for get out of **** turnover flicks, kc pro max weight, dx glot)
2 of the best mid-range ever made in the Comet (one elite-x for flippyness, one z for straighter shots)

Now I just need to start working on back-ups.. I feel like no more than 4 molds should do you well but it all depends, the more ya throw the more ya know!!

I throw:

170 Z Hornet
2x 170 X Comet - fresh and beat
175 Z Comet

I formerly have throw a 175 D Wasp and 175 DX Rocs.

One of my goals for 2013 is to throw drivers less and mids and putters more, especially off the tee. This will be a factor of being more comfortable with those discs and understanding what they do.

I also think your mids should parallel your drivers. This will lessen the learning curve and promote familiarity between your discs. For example, my Hornet will fly like my Eagles, capable of handling a lot of torque and always fading back, while the Comets are more finicky, much like my Teebirds.

So no, I don't think you have too many mid molds, you just need to know when to use which and to eliminate overlap.

me and the homies carry 90% midranges, and generally throw midranges off the tee.
might pull out a driver on 400+ holes.. sometimes.

And now me trying to be funny has become frustrating because I can't upload the YouTube video. :wall:

Last edited:

Latest posts