• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 10 all time MPO players

This far into the thread and zero mention of the 2018 world champion?

Not sure if he's top ten worthy but since someone mentioned McCabe a few posts ago I'd put Barsby ahead of him on just about any list.

Body of work. All I'm really looking at there is a glance at their PDGA win history and maybe a bit of observation of their finishes by looking at others win history.

If you look at winners of majors over the last 20 years, certain names pop up in the top 10 for instance fairly regularly even if they don't have a lot of Majors/NT type wins.

I like your premise of a player being over 40, but I think exceptions can be made. I'd say we should give more weight to a player over 40 but if McBeth never won another event he'd still be in everyone's top 10.

100%. McBeth's streak of being 1st or 2nd at Worlds for 10 years straight during modern era is the most impressive disc golf feat of all time to date.

The reason I put PM over KC is because of level of competition. KC was head and shoulders above anyone in his Era. The reason I put Nikko in my top 10 is because, when I started playing the game, he was a dominate force. Now someone mentioned Avery Jenkins, whom I did forget about so maybe he should be in as well.

Several players that you can't see their history via PDGA due to expired memberships like Doss and suspended like Locastro.

Top 4

1/2. Climo, McBeth
3/4. Wysocki, Shultz.

Top 10:
Doss, Feldberg

After that, seems to me there is a lot of room for debate.

Russell, Locastro, Jenkins, Shusterick, Rico, McCabe, Anthon, etc.
You could always use StatMando which gets its stats from the PDGA and has all the numbers you need.

This completely subjective personal opinion will be weighted 60:40 my perception of skill:accomplishments. Obviously my experience watching someone like John Ahart though is pretty limited - there're a handful of videos showing his form, but I was a fan of his form for an `80s player. Not a lot of top players from that era that look as clean.

10. Nikko Locastro
09. John Ahart
08. Eagle McMahon
07. Steve Rico
06. David Feldberg
05. Nate Doss
04. Ricky Wysocki
03. Barry Schultz
02. Ken Climo
01. Paul McBeth

Honorable mentions: Harold Duvall, Will Schusterick, Avery Jenkins, Jesper Lundmark, Geoff Lissaman. I feel like you could re-arrange these 5 and any of my 7 through 10 and I wouldn't quibble with your list. The 7 through 15 area is really muddled.

Steve Rico got my spot at 7 based on his longevity and consistency of great performances.
Eagle McMahon got my spot at 8 based on his incredibly high podium rate against modern fields, despite his young career.
John Ahart got my spot at 9 for the same reasons as Rico.
Nikko got my spot at 10 for a longevity that is also impressive, but much shorter than Rico and one less Major than Ahart.

Sites I used to support my thoughts:
https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/feature/the-goats-of-disc-golf-player-ranking-pt-1/
https://statmando.com/stats/career-elite-majors-last-ten-stats-mpo
https://udisc.com/blog/post/disc-golf-majors-every-winner-ever

Regardless of actual position on the overall hierarchy.... Who ranks higher....

Will Schusterick or Scott Stokely?

IMO the additional three decades of playing gives Stokely the edge
I wouldn't call it 3 decades as a top level competitor, though. Not even close. He didn't start putting it together until 1992 at (according to google) age 23. And then he was only really a fixture that was and could win any given event until 2001. The advantage for Stokely is more like 9-10 years (Stokely had 1 year in his decade where he didn't really get out and compete much) versus 5-7 years (depending on what year you consider Schusterick to have no longer be a really threat on tour).

Of the players I have been fortunate enough to follow and watch live on the course that did spectacular things with a disc would include:

Simon
Paul
Eagle
Ricky
Kenny
Barry

And if you were to put them all in a room together I believe Climo would be the first one out. The rest I don't know.

Latest posts