• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournaments: Rainy Weather? Avg. Time?

gcoghill

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I have been wanting to check out a tournament this summer (just as a spectator —*for the first time at least) and it figures that today there is a tournament near me, but the weather is pretty much non-stop rain and forecast looks the same for the rest of the day.

I am curious if tournaments are played even in the rain, and also on a side note —*how long do tournaments last? This one is about an hour away, and I am willing to make the drive but don't want to head out if either the tourney has been cancelled due to weather, or if it's over before I get out there (getting a late start this morning).

Unless the rain is really bad, play continues around here. As far as how long they take.. tournaments tend to be an all day thing from what I've seen.

Cool, maybe I will brave the rain and check it out then. Thanks Tim.

From my experience, unless there's lightning play continues. If the tourney takes day-of-sign ups (vs. pre-registration only) then then field is probably going to be greatly reduced. It varies by the course and number of holes, but on average you're probably looking at about 3-4 hours per 18-hole round. That includes player meeting, and results tabulation. E.g. most of the local Houston events start player meeting at 8:30am and finish awards around 5pm.

ERic

Our Doubles tournament in Lansing just got cancelled due to flooding. First time that's ever happened. But there are whole sections of the course that are completely inaccesable.

Playing in the Rain

I was wondering if anybody had any tips for playing a tournament in the rain. I'm playing in a tournament this coming weekend and according the the weather forecast it seems as though there is a good chance it is going to be raining. Since I have never played in the rain, I am really not sure what to expect. I assume I am going to bring an umbrella and a lot of towels to wipe off wet discs, but any other comments or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Its hard to hold an umbrella and throw at the same time. Get an underarmor shirt or something similar (synthetic) to wear underneath It will eliminate chafing and wick away the cold, without impeding your form like a bulky poncho would. Also, rock a swimsuit. As Jackie Moon would say, "Lets get Tropical!!"

Wear black socks, or white ones you dont care about, b/c they will be brown by the end of it from puddles.

Wear a hat with a wide brime to keep the water out of your eyes. Otherwise youll be wiping it off your face while you are trying to throw
Basically dress like you are going to be immersed in a cold stream. (ie. Dress like a canoer)

This way you will not fear the water, unlike hiding under a postage stamp-sized umbrella, sweating in a poncho that feels like wearing a plastic bag and being uncomfortable in the humid weather all tourney. I say bring it on!

also, birdie bag or another grip aid is essential, since its hard to dry off a disc if its constantly getting wet from rain. Especially if you plan on throwing any champion plastic, youll need to keep some grip in your hands.

In addition to towels for drying discs before you throw them, maybe put a small one on the bottom of your bag, so water and mud from wet discs doesnt run along the bottom and get all over the other discs.

Plan well, and embrace the rain. You being better prepared and more comfortable than your competition only tips the scales further in your favor!! Good luck amigo

Thanks for the info. I will have to deck myself out like I am about to jump in a river. As far as plastic goes, would you recommend staying away from Champion plastic, in your opinion is there a plastic that is more suitable for rainy conditions ?

In addition to towels for drying discs before you throw them, maybe put a small one on the bottom of your bag, so water and mud from wet discs doesnt run along the bottom and get all over the other discs.
That's a good one, I hadn't thought of that.

A couple more:

A small, lightweight folding chair -or- tripod stool can be useful to set your bag on instead of the ground. That will help keep it from getting filthy... and if you have not waterproofed your bag will help to keep water from seeping in from the bottom.

In general I carry a couple Ziplock snack sized bags in my DG bag to keep things like a cell phone or camera dry in the event of rain.

ERic

Champion Plastic + Rain = Four-Letter Words

Thanks for the info. I will have to deck myself out like I am about to jump in a river. As far as plastic goes, would you recommend staying away from Champion plastic, in your opinion is there a plastic that is more suitable for rainy conditions ?

Champion and Elite Z are the WORST in the rain. THe plastic is slippery, and its hard to get a grip on them. I would recommend InnovaPro as the best (better than elite x even), because it has the most grip. Its hard to get every last little bit of water off your disc, and a little bit of moisture is all it can take to mess up your grip, so grippy lastic is a must.

On a related note, you will probably want to use a sticky putter, for the same reason. also the chains will be wet, so stiffer plastics might just slide off/through. in these situations I reach for my Omega SS.

Get your hands dirty for super grip

Having played in the UK a fair bit, and therefore in the rain alot, i have 1 recommendation for you.

I doesnt matter what you throw as long as you dry your hands and discs very well.

The tip is to carry some dry dust, dirt, chalk with you, Before throwing rub the dist into your fingers and shake away the excess. Your hand will now be super tacky, grab the disc and let it rip. You will be amazed at how much grip you get from a damp disc.

This tip also works for sweaty hands in super hot DG rounds.

As for your disc selection, the air is thicker, so take heavier discs, rain pushes down on the discs and disturbs air flow in flight. I tend towards a heavy slightly under stable disc in rain. Wind allowing.

I remember playing in a toruney & it started raining & then it started pouring. Lightning came in & ended it for us. I got back to my car & I was soaking wet. I had to dirve home like that. Uncomfortable? Very! So now I have a complete change of clothes & a beach towell in the car, just in case.

Also, keep in mind that the game will take longer to finish when it rains.
I bring a large umbrella & keep it open & covering my bag when I'm throwing.

Extra towels in Ziploc baggies, and one attached to the inside of your umbrella.

Carry a birdie-bag (or bag of sawdust) to suck the moisture off your hands. If that doesn't work, and it isn't raining very hard, you can rub you hands back and forth on the disc, and the heat from friction will dry it off in that spot.

Focus on a slower run-up / x-step if the tee area is slippery...or throw from a standstill if you're comfortable with it. I usually try to shift my weight forward a little more than ususal to keep my pivot foot from sliding forward.

Goretex / waterproof shoes are a big help, but not necessary. It'll help to stop and wring-out your socks from time to time, just to keep your feet comfortable.

I second the extra/second pair of clothes, especially socks and shoes. Also, if there are natural/dirt tees, you might think of wearing cleats. You might want to think about changing your clothes between rounds, at the very least your socks, and if you have an extra pair of shoes, those as well. Good Luck!

The best Touney rain tip I've heard was to make sure you practice when it's raining. don't learn how to play in the rain during a tourney. Try to play during bad weather whenever possible. And while you're out for a casual round look around at the other peole on the course. They are either good or they soon will be.

Get waterproof socks! It dries fast.

It will save you the troubles of feeling *swish* *swish* when you are walking with wet cotton socks all day.

I got my swimming gear and towels all ready. I think it's a little late for me to practice in the rain before tomorrow, but a great idea. I would of never thought to have practiced in the rain because who would want to walk around being soaked all day. Now I know the reason. Lets hope for the best.