• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trapezoidal tee pads in backwards.

On steeper uphill drives, especially when the rise is under or starts immediately in front of the pad, tilting it upward is better for both making a good throw and also for installation so there's not as much of a drop off down to the pad or behind it.

Perhaps, but I still hate having to run up on an angle. The plant and follow through just feel super awkward.

Level pad and close to level with the ground. I also can't stand having to step up 4-6 inches onto the pad. Makes it more difficult.

On steeper uphill drives, especially when the rise is under or starts immediately in front of the pad, tilting it upward is better for both making a good throw and also for installation so there's not as much of a drop off down to the pad or behind it.

Makes sense up to a point and I would say that point is no more than a 2° slope.

I wish more people would realize that they don't have to launch off the front of the tee pad, they just have to have one supporting point on it when they release.

802.01 A

Play begins on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area. When the disc is released, the player must have at least one supporting point in contact with the surface of the teeing area, and all supporting points must be in contact only with the surface of the teeing area. Supporting point contact outside the teeing area is allowed if it comes before or after, and not at, the moment the disc is released.

In that respect, pad size is way more restrictive than any shape.

Also, having completely flush with the ground pads doesn't work for wooded courses. Unless the designers/builders construct erosion control, you need an inch or two raise to keep mud from washing over the pads...

I wish more people would realize that they don't have to launch off the front of the tee pad, they just have to have one supporting point on it when they release.

Also for clarification, they must have all supporting points on the tee pad. You cannot have one foot on and one foot off.

I prefer wider at the front as it provides more options at release.

Wrong. A foot is a supporting point. People lift their off foot all the time driving putting whatever.

Only if by "off" you mean the other foot is in the air, not in contact with something outside of the teeing area.

The way it was written I believe by "off" he meant in contact with the ground off of the concrete tee area.

Wrong. A foot is a supporting point. People lift their off foot all the time driving putting whatever.

If it's in the air, it's not a supporting point.

Supporting Point
At the time of release, any part of a player's body that is in contact with the playing surface or some other object that provides support.

So hes saying you cant straddle a teepad? One foot on corner with other off to side? I guess i wasnt even thinking like that.

Why would this even be an issue if your plant foot is all that matters i cant imagine throwing off my back foot in the first place?

Players who throw backhand rollers sometimes come very close to not lifting their back foot off the ground before releasing even though their front plant foot is on the tee pad.

Yeah not saying it doesnt happen with both feet on the ground. Just cant imagine why it would be any real benefit to teeing off like that. Rule doesnt really make sense being you can practically do the splits for a staddle putt or upshot off the tee.

Last edited:
Yeah not saying it doesnt happen with both feet on the ground. Just cant imagine why it would be any real benefit to teeing off like that. Rule doesnt really make sense being you can practically do the splits for a staddle putt or upshot off the tee.

There's a course near me that has a hole where there is a tree 10 feet or so in front of the tee. Not really obtrusive, it's off center to the right and the primary line is up the middle or even a bit to the left of the fairway.

At a tournament a few years ago, we were backed up on this particular hole and one of the players in the group ahead stepped up and straddled off the tee...left foot on the front right corner of the pad, right foot completely off to the side of the pad. His intent was to stretch out and throw a forehand with anhyzer to the right of the tree and have the disc make a sweeping S-turn down the fairway. It's a wooded hole and there really isn't room to make that kind of shot from the tee otherwise because of the position of that particular tree.

I stopped him before he could throw the shot and informed him that it was illegal and he was all kinds of flustered because he was a course local, not really much of a tournament player (might have even been his first tourney), and he'd played that hole that way since he'd started.

I bring up the story to illustrate why a player might do it and how some rules aren't necessarily intuitive to everyone. He thought as long as he was in contact with the pad (like a marked lie) and didn't step forward of the front line of the pad, he wasn't doing anything wrong. And he was doing it because he felt it gave him the best angle for his strongest throw on that hole.

What if the rule was "in the vicinity of the pad"?

There has to be a limit somewhere. Otherwise, we wouldn't all be playing the same hole.

Take a 5x10 pad; that gives you 50 square feet to touch however you want. If the rule was just "touch the pad anywhere, and touch anything else you want", that would give you about 3 feet more right, left, and behind. That's 143 square feet - or about three times as much area.

I wouldn't mind a one square foot tee pad, with other supporting points allowed. That would really get everyone to play the same hole. Of course, it would turn into a mud pit, but....

Latest posts