• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trey-Deuce Domino Saloon Ranch, Mt Vernon TX

Trey Ranch isn't ready yet. Shawshank is fun. Very fun. I suggest making the drive.

That's the sense I've gotten, too. Big Al and I are keeping our options open, but will likely head to Shawshank. Between Selah, Shawshank, and Lindsey Park, it's going to be a sweet trip! Is it April yet? :D

i think i'd rather go to Trey Ranch than Lindsey Park.

two great courses are better than a forgettable course, a decent course, and that punishing gold course even if they are all in one park.

Care to elaborate? It's hard to know what to expect from Trey Ranch with so little information out there on it.

Personally I'm a fan of technical wooded courses, which is why Lindsey Gold caught my eye. But I could be persuaded by those in the know to head elsewhere.

I played gold in the summer

Care to elaborate? It's hard to know what to expect from Trey Ranch with so little information out there on it.

Personally I'm a fan of technical wooded courses, which is why Lindsey Gold caught my eye. But I could be persuaded by those in the know to head elsewhere.

The Lindsey gold course is the only wooded out of the 3, but it is one of my favs. Haven't played the Trey Deuce so I can't compare. If Trey is designed by the same designer as Selah, then you know it will have some long and open shots for sure. You can only use the land given, so I wasn't trying to knock Mr. Houck.:thmbup: Of course from what I have heard, I would go with Shawshank.

Last edited:
Haven't played trey yet but loved my trip to Tyler and enjoyed all three Lindsey courses! Can't go wrong with a big granite pyramid!

Right on. Glad to see I wasn't off base by thinking Lindsey Park was worth a visit. I get that the Red and to a lesser extent Blue courses are fairly open. I don't mind that kind of golf if it's done well; if anything, I like that there's a diversity to the courses on site. But Lindsey Gold has such a high ranking in a state with such a surfeit of courses that I feel almost obliged to include it on a mini-tour of east Texas.

It's short notice, but we have about 250 GStar Destroyers available as a fundraiser for the 2014 PDGA Amateur World Doubles championships.

We made them available yesterday to players registered for the tournament, and we sold about 200 in a few hours. We are now making the remainder available to YOU. They won't last long.

GStar is Innova's new Star blend that adds extra grip and flexibility to the famous Star plastic. All the profits from this sale will go directly into the event. The discs are $18 each plus shipping and handling. Texas and Kansas residents will also have to pay sales tax.

The sale will open at 3:00 Central today (Sunday) . Once they're gone, they're gone.

Here is the link: http://www.circularproductions.com/wordpress/new_gstar_destroyer/ You can see the information now. If you refresh the page at 3:00, you'll be able to order.

Thanks for your support, thanks to Innova for making this offer possible, and thanks to Discs Unlimited for fulfillment help. Happy shopping.

Had the chance to play two rounds on the Trey Deuce course this weekend. As people have mentioned, these courses are a lot tighter than 90% of Selah which is a good thing to me. It gives the two locations a good blend of technicality vs length. Overall the course was a lot of fun to play. The first 6 holes are completely ready for play. The only issue up to that point was the that the large bridge crossing the creek had washed out, but they are in the process of putting it back and reinforcing it. Hole 7 was the first really challenging hole. The fairway is about 35 - 40 feet at the widest and is lined with cedar and fur trees that easily snag your disc and keep it from kicking back out. The fairway branch off to the left seemed to be require an absolute perfect shot to even find it. Hole 10 (the only par 5) listed on that course was a BEAST of a hole. The only only real path off of the tee is the straight ahead route. The tunnel off to the right seemed to be a little too narrow for the required distance (15' wide for 50-60' for what amounts to a 350'+ shot). That being said I could play that hole all day and not tire of it. The next 4 holes were a lot of fun with 2 more birdie chances and then a long downhill dogleg left shot that let's you throw as far as you want/can. I did has some issues with 15 & 18 being more defendant on luck that skill. 15 is a 2xx footer through a fairway that's effectively 5' wide starting right off the tee box. Out of 9 people teeing off two separate times I only know of one that made it inside the circle. Hole 18 was like the big, mean, roid-raging brother of hole 12 at Turner Park in Grand Prairie. It's a tight fairway 400+ feet long with a creek that serpentines the entire length of a 30' fairway FILLED with trees. The property owners showed us the 'fairways' through the hole that were marked by pink ribbons. Even trying to follow them seemed to require a disc to need to break twice to follow it. I know it's not a pitch and putt hole and should require two shots to even have a chance at a putt, but again it's a hole that seems to rely more on a 'I need to hit a three foot gap and and then pray for luck'. It reminds me of the octopus hole from Lakeside (14?) that John Houck swears there's 4-5 lines to the basket but once you're there you'll be hard pressed to actually find them. If it were up to me I would selectively trim out 30-40% of the small trees on holes 15 & 18. To truly make them a 'make or break SKILL shot hole'
For the course in general, it was a blast and I would go back and play it in a heart beat. There are small left over tree stumps everywhere from the clearing process that will need to be ground down over time. Remember that this is a BRAND NEW course put into east texas country. It's not a a course on great park land. From everyone's opinion it will probably take two to three years of people playing to get the course broken in to a 'comfortable' feel. It took 4 people 3 hours to play the first round and 3 people 2 hours for the second. That was moving at a constant pace for a casual round. I would expect a full tournament round like AM World Dubs to take 4-4.5 hrs for a 4 man best score round. I would not wish a 'worst shot' format on that course to my worst enemy.

Again overall a great place and a great course. I hope the Texas Twist course is just as good. I haven't played Tyler to compare them and I've heard nothing but great things about those courses as well. Right now the Trey course conditions are the best they've been and I would recommend everyone get out to try it. Hope that helps people to decide if they want to play them.

Yeah, geoloseth, thanks for the righteous review. Looks like the jury's still out on where we're headed.

DN, the front side of Texas Twist is in great shape. Tee pads are all poured, new trees planted, limbs trimmed, etc. Holes #1-6 and #16-18 make a nice 9-hole loop.

The back side (#7-15) is still getting some love. Most of the holes are in pretty good shape, but a couple holes need work. The crews are working hard to having everything polished up for the Doubles warmup event March 23rd, and I'll be there soon to oversee the chainsaw crew. I'll have an update for everyone next week.

Here's a recent shot of Texas Twist #2. Looking clean and purty, and just waiting for the trees to start budding.

Attachments

• TT2 2-21-14.jpg
    TT2 2-21-14.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 61
I wanted to get back out there after the Selah Ranch Hot Round event and take hole photos, but the family was out of town. My doubles partner and I will try to make it out the weekend before Am World Doubles and get some practice and photos then.

Can't wait til April!

Got out there today to play both courses. Uploading course pictures for Trey Deuce now. I'll upload photos for Texas Twist tomorrow. Great courses. Diane, Trey, and everyone have done a TON of work to get these courses in great shape for AM World Doubles. Even if you're not playing the tournament it's worth getting out to play both.

Tied the course record for Trey Deuce (shot 62 from the longs) left more than a few shots out there too. Can't wait for next weekend.

Got out there today to play both courses. Uploading course pictures for Trey Deuce now. I'll upload photos for Texas Twist tomorrow. Great courses. Diane, Trey, and everyone have done a TON of work to get these courses in great shape for AM World Doubles. Even if you're not playing the tournament it's worth getting out to play both.

Tied the course record for Trey Deuce (shot 62 from the longs) left more than a few shots out there too. Can't wait for next weekend.

Geoloseth, thanks for the awesome pics! You did a great job of capturing (at least some of) what the course is about.

I have to say, I'm tempted to go Trey Texas over Lindsey Park for our trip. It does indeed look awesome. I love the apparent variety: looks like there's everything from the long par 5s Selah is famous for to some tight, wooded, midrange-challenging golf. Gotta admit that I also like the lower reliance on water. :D

Thanks for making our decision a little harder! ;)

sorry i didn't respond but it looks like others took care of it.

i played the 1-6, 16-18 loop John mentioned at Texas Teams this past fall. there are some really fun and challenging holes and they are definitely not mostly open. haven't played Trey Duece yet but it looks to be even better.

Latest posts