• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Tour Championship Moves to Charlottte

The new Hornet's Nest Gold layout is pretty much set. Its just smething thrown together to help with flow for right now.

Follow the signs also posted.

Check out the map on hole 1 or here:...

Will hole 2 allow for players to play safer along the left bank?

I mentioned the USDGC in reply to the post that Charlotte "needs one big event", in demonstration of what the efforts the Charlotte area already makes. They probably host more big events than anywhere else---owing to the USDGC being planted (just outside) there. Plus 2 more majors in 7 years---not just any majors, but world championships---and 2 A-tiers every year. That's a pretty good load for any club or location. I'm not surprised they're not on the NT or DGPT tours.
And here I was hoping maybe that'd be where they're moving national collegiates... Considering all this, mayyybe not. :(

IMO, original long 4 is a tweener hole for the top pros. They'd all get their drives out to 100', have an easy upshot, and get a bunch of 3s. Short tee is a better par 3 than the long is a par 4.

Perhaps. While the majority of 1020-rated players should get 450 feet from the tee, there would be variation; both in throw length and accuracy. I estimate that for 1020-rated players, the average distance from the target after one throw would be 125 feet, with a standard deviation of 56 feet. (About 80% will be between 53 feet and 200 feet from the target.) That should be enough spray to get decent scoring spread among top players. Specifically, slightly more 4s than 3s, with smattering of 2s, 5s and 6s.

You are right in that it is on the cusp between being a par 3 or par 4. Also, it may not be much fun to be playing to avoid a 4, rather than trying for a 2. All that goes into deciding which tee to use. I'm trying not to second-guess anyone, just pointing out that usually longer holes are better at sorting players by skill than shorter - even if they are tweeners.

Have any events with top players used this hole?

Looks great! You guys are moving fast, thanks for sharing! :clap:

Kind of surprised you're not using the long tee on #4, but looks like the different basket for #3 might be in the way

There might be a future longer tee planned but for this year there is softball going on at the fields so bad throws could go in there and 4 as Todd said is kind of an easier par 4 for the open division.

There might be a future longer tee planned but for this year there is softball going on at the fields so bad throws could go in there and 4 as Todd said is kind of an easier par 4 for the open division.

Is there a softball tournament going on the weekend of the tournament? That is really going to hurt the logistics of the event. It will make parking difficult

Looks great! You guys are moving fast, thanks for sharing! :clap:

Kind of surprised you're not using the long tee on #4, but looks like the different basket for #3 might be in the way.
Disappointed #14 won't be in its normal layout, that would be fun to watch the Pros attack.
Excited to see a new Guantlet on #15. :thmbup:

Couple of questions:
Will #16 still have the two gaps to choose from?
Anything added to #18 besides distance? It looks like a pretty wide open finishing hole.

Long tee is too easy. We are looking at a different long 4 in the future. We thought about calling long 4 a par 3 but its a tweener.
18 - Nope just a wide open 495' par 3, lol. They will overthrow and go in the woods, that will be punishment enough.

Adding to the guantlet to 335' ish ft.

Some video.

https://www.facebook.com/charlottedgc/videos/2413330772243659/

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Nest Gold 15_2.jpg
    Nest Gold 15_2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Nest Gold 15_3.jpg
    Nest Gold 15_3.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Nest Gold 15_1.jpg
    Nest Gold 15_1.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 106
There has been 0 discussion of this with the Charlotte Board.
Didn't assume so. Just off of Innova being around and Childres involved with college disc golf. Had nothing but hopes.

No. these are the top 36 players in the world. They can handle a 315' throw to a 13,000 sqft island.

So, there is no risk of missing the island. Got it.

Wait, then what's the point of making it an island?

So, there is no risk of missing the island. Got it.

Wait, then what's the point of making it an island?

How did you get that from his response? He said there won't be a bailout option and all the competitors will be forced to throw for the island from the tee (which is a reasonable request of the top players in the sport). Nowhere did he say that all players are going to make the island.

Didn't assume so. Just off of Innova being around and Childres involved with college disc golf. Had nothing but hopes.

That's not an assumption. I'm CDGC President and there's been no discussion with the Board. If there are informal discussions outside the Club, we are unaware of them.

That's not an assumption. I'm CDGC President and there's been no discussion with the Board. If there are informal discussions outside the Club, we are unaware of them.
Huh? I think that's exactly what I made - an "assumption" - I was thinking something may be true without evidence. Just on the basis of Innova being nearby and Innova being closely involved with National Collegiate Disc Golf. And when I saw the post he made - I made a sad post about how I was disappointed that my assumption was incorrect - which as you elaborate here: it obviously was.

I was picking up what you were putting down. Good hopeful assumption but nothing yet.