• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two issues: Throwing Mids Straight but Left / Getting Follow Through / Running

wonderflex

Preface: I started playing in 2013, but never did follow through with much more than playing recreational due to other sport commitments. I'm going to be retiring from rugby this year and would love to get serious about playing disc golf.

In the past I've known I had garbage form, so I figured it's best to just go back to basics and learn to throw the right way. Today I watched the video "Driving Instruction- Will Schusterick" and decided to give things the best try that I could at a local football field. From that experience I noticed two big issues:

First, after about 20 throws of my Roc 3, and Shark 3, I noticed a pretty similar trend with them all flying an incredibly straight flight path, but always pointing left. I would throw from the center hash of the field and they would always shoot out like a lazer to a spot just between the left hash and the 20 yard marker on the far side of the field (245 ft distance, 40 ft left deviation). Had they been straight, I would estimate their fade to be in the range of 5 feet. My TL was going about 285 ft straight, and landing almost dead center. My Valkyrie was going about 315-320 ft, also flying straight and landing within the soccer net. Any ideas what could be making me release my mids to the left? If it helps, all the throws were taken with a deep reach back from a stand still position.

Second, and probably related, I noticed on a lot of my throws that my off hand wasn't following through. I would pull my throwing arm through, but it seemed like my other arm just didn't want to whip and carry through nicely it was doing for Will in the video. Any tips on getting a better follow through, or even remembering to do so in the first place?

Also, as a bonus issue, twice I tried to incorporate some sort of run/x step and it was very obvious that I might need to hold off on that. In both cases I threw a 167g Blizzard Boss I bought when I first got discs and didn't realize I didn't need one / couldn't throw one, and they both went far right when no other discs had been. The first throw went 375 ft long with a 100 ft deviation to the right. The second throw went 420 feet without skipping or rolling and about 50 ft deviation to the right. I've never thrown that far in my life, but it was so incredibly inaccurate compared to everything else for the day. Should I keep giving it a try and just work on getting a cleaner throw, or should I keep working for the time being on not adding a run/step?

Thanks - Both of those were great for learning about the weight shift and how to not worry about the step in process at the moment, but was I supposed to pick up on something about follow through and the mids flying left? If so, I think I missed it.

If you are balanced on the front leg, you will follow through/pivot.

My guess is that your mids are slipping out of grip.

I could see that, especially seeing how it was raining and they are both champion plastic with a flat top. I'll give it another go when it's dry out.

Latest posts