• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Two Putters: Inside & Outside the Circle

Do you use different putters depending on distance?

• Total voters
Wizard outside the circle to 200'. Anode inside the circle, or when I absolutely, positively must go straight or to the right.

I putt with a Wizard most of the time. If I'm much farther out and I still want to 'putt' and not stand sideways and toss it, I'll use a Swan. It stays super straight and doesn't fade like my Wizard would start to.

I use two pures. I can putt equally well with either. One is a 171, other is a 172. I like like what happens to be the lighter one for up shots and longer putts because I've had it longer and it stays straight.

It's all about how u like to throw I don't throw putters outside of 75' I throw a buzzz cause it's easier too control. But I throw a Ching juju outside the circle just cause if it hits anything it just drops. I throw either a star aviar or a SSS wizard inside the circle whatever feels better in my hand that day. It's all personal peference

I said yes.. I have 3 SSS 175g Wizards. Pink, blue, and black. Pink is outside the circle and the other 2 I alternate using inside the circle because they're in equal conditions right now, and I wanna keep it that way. So I play with one for a full round then the other the next round I play. Has been working so far. The pink one is a lot grippier (I know that isn't a word but oh well) and I like that for outside the circle. Where as the blue and black are smoother feeling and glide out of my hands. Which is nice for inside the circle putting.

Yes, well sort of. I use a 150 gram Pro Pig for long putts and shots where I'm in awkward position i.e. leaning out to throw around something etc... That way I can get more D out of the disc with less power. Anything within 30' I'm using a 171 gram Pro Pig. Also, if the wind is blustery than I'm sticking with the heavy one.

I'm pretty new as well, but I've settled (for now) on the neutron anode for drives and most approach shots, especially when trees are involved. For short approaches with fewer trees and all circle putts I use a SS magic. I like that the anode feels more like my mids and drivers, the great durability, and near laser straight flight path. For the magics, the SS is a little more durable than the SSS (I was using SSS wizards) and I like that the magics don't have a bead. The shape of the two molds feels very similar to me.

I'm thinking about trying an HPP magic for the drives and long approaches, but I'm also considering switching completely to one of the Discmania molds. Since finding the Jackal, I've kind of become a fanboy of their discs.

Answered yes. I use a SSS Wizard for putts inside the circle, and an understable Aviar P&A for jump putts. I found that using my stable Wizards for a jump putt often ended up fading too hard and popped up into a short roll that gave me a 30ft+ recovery putt that I usually turned into a three putt due to frayed nerves. The Aviar usually either goes in or sits under/near the basket for a drop in.

I voted yes. I primarily use a Lat64 Zero Spike for most putting duties inside the circle, depending on the line needed to reach the chains.
Outside the circle I'll use a Summit or VP, once again depending on the line needed.

Black JK Aviar inside the circle
Use a more "durable" one for longer shots. Currently throwing an Ion, but have like the KC Aviar and Ridge.

1) My JK is too pretty to be hitting trees. 2) I drive with premium plastic, and the other discs (not the Ridge) have the same, slicker feel which I am more comfortable with.

i used to use a beat up mid 160s wizard for jump putts figuring the lighter weight would fly a bit straighter and carry better. i noticed though that i'd turn it over often enough trying to get that extra little bit of oomph on the putt though, so not i use my main putter for all putts. i've got 2 identical soft wizards, one for putts and one for tee shots. i still carry a mid 160s wiz for touch approach shots and a z zone for utility and trick shots.

I carry a HPP Voodoo for approaches and a SSS Voodoo for "putting." The SSS gets beat up too easily if I have trees or hard dirt around the basket.

It's funny how somethings change, but not too drastically.

Almost two years since the last time I posted in the thread. Still use two putters, but now it's an Omega SS for putting out to 40-50', and a Champ Rhyno or BigBead Aviar for distance.

For me it depends on wind, not distance. Same mold, same plastic, same weight...just one beat in for calm days, one new for windy days.

Although I frequently use my XG Rhyno inside the circle (especially if there is a risk of rollaway) generally I use two putters:

Upshots/Outside the Circle: XG Rhyno
Inside the circle: Strawberry Edition Mercy

I also carry a pro Pig but I consider that more of a short midrange than an actual putter. Definetly more on the "approach" side of "Putt and Approach"

My putter duties have made a switch recently. Right now I use two matching ss glow wizards for anything inside the circle and an eclipse glow ion that is beat for outside the circle. The ion stays super straight on long putts where my glow wizards will fade out and miss left. Inside the circle the ion tends to miss right and will occasionally chain out where the wizards typically won't.

I also use the beat ion for anything shorter that needs to be understable. I could put a magic in it's place but the eclipse ion will not change from tree hits and I know exactly how it will behave.

As far as approaching, I have been happy using sharks for duties outside my putting range (typically anything outside 60' I won't try putting). The sharks have been more consistant on upshots than either my wizards or my buzzzes. Buzzzes always seem to blow by when I try and power them down and work better off the tee or as a driver compared to an approach disc. Wizards don't make bad approach discs but the shark just seems to land closer 80% of the time.

When it's windy or I need something crazy overstable I will always have a zone in my bag. That being said, I never use it for making putts. The zone is an approach disc only for me. It comes in handy for skip shots and hook shots where I need to get around something. I can also forehand it with some accuracy but I am a backhand dominant player for the most part.

This is what works for my short game. I didn't intend to make it a long post at first but after I started typing it just seemed to flow out. Thanks to whoever brought this thread back, I enjoyed reading it from the start again.

Haven't read this thread, but the Answer is 3

I think you should learn to use your main putter for anytime you are wanting to put a putter in the basket, except for drives. I say except for drives, because who wants to putt with warped up putters?

With that said, last night in my bag I had 4 different putters. 12x SM KC Pro Aviars, main putters. Neutron Anode, main driving putter and upshot disc, Proton Ion for when more stability is needed on drives and upshots, and a soft APX for the occasional turnover putter shot that I want to do.

Latest posts