• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Udisc vs DGR

TDs are failing if they DON'T list their events on UDisc. Too many players use it to plan a round with friends.
Our club(DisCap) uses it along with DGS(registration) and social media advertising on FB/Discord. Game day signage is a MUST if you have a full course and want to ensure that casuals don't slip into the mix. Every course is different as far as physical accessibility so nothing is 100%. And some chuckers simply will not listen even if there's an alternate course 15 minutes away. :\

No fewer than 5 local leagues use UDisc with consistently positive feedback from players.

I've been a TD since 2009 and BY FAR, the biggest gamechanger for me has been the invent and advancement of digital scoring. GONE ARE THE DAYS of spending ALL OF LUNCHBREAK checking paper cards, running down players with issues, etc etc etc.

UDisc started the revolution. The PDGA app changed TD life.

I agree with most of this. The failure of UDisc is the inability to register and run tournaments and leagues. The scoring feature is indeed a game changer. We have gone to UDisc scoring for our leagues and it is fantastic. But, building a league page on UDisc is a nightmare and the lack of communication tools is limiting.

Great point about on course signage.

But, building a league page on UDisc is a nightmare and the lack of communication tools is limiting.
I built my league so long ago i can't remember how easy/difficult it was. Local guy Mike is really close with the UDisc creators and is in the BETA testers group.

Adding events to my league is a breeze IMO.
For tournaments, the key is using a PC so you can copy/paste links and stuff cleaner. Clicking with a mouse is so much better than a phone touch screen.

There's a feature for League admins that allows you to send a message to everyone thats checked into league. Scorecard Notes are another communication tool that allows you to send messages to cards while they are playing.

Last edited:
uDisc became the 'go-to' app during Covid. Beginning then, they (PDGA and TDs) didn't want players passing around a paper scorecard and pencil. So uDisc became the main method of scoring (PDGA didn't have their own app at the time). So people got familiar with uDisc for just about everything disc golf related. Some courses have signs requesting people use uDisc. Some leagues/tournaments still use uDisc as a scoring method. So it's no wonder that many people, especially new ones, don't know about DGCR. Heck, I only found out about DGCR after I had been playing a couple of years. I did a search to find out something about a question I had and it took me to the forums. It was only after I was signing up for the forums that I found DCGR was more than just forums.

uDisc became the 'go-to' app during Covid. Beginning then, they (PDGA and TDs) didn't want players passing around a paper scorecard and pencil. So uDisc became the main method of scoring (PDGA didn't have their own app at the time). So people got familiar with uDisc for just about everything disc golf related.

False. PDGA Live Scoring pre-existed Covid by at least one year and probably 2. Covid did do a nice job of motivating people to use it.

False. PDGA Live Scoring pre-existed Covid by at least one year and probably 2. Covid did do a nice job of motivating people to use it.

Thanks for correcting me on that. When I started playing, I never knew there was a PDGA Live Scoring....every tournament/league (that I played in) used paper until Covid and then they were using uDisc. It wasn't until a bit after Covid started affecting disc golf that tournaments started using PDGA Live Scoring. So I wasn't aware PDGA Live Scoring existed for a while after I started playing.

Our first post COVID tournament kind of forced us to PDGA Live scoring. One of the best things to come out of that time.

I had friends texting me because one of my card mates was doing the live score at the 2015 Tim Selinske Masters. I had no idea. Since there were only a couple groups doing it, they mistakenly thought I was in the top 5.

If you think we're doing a bad job at moderating the Natalie debate I can't imagine how it would have gone down at DGR.

I always liked Frank D and I still do but he was the worst mod of all time. Even worse than me! :popcorn:

If you think we're doing a bad job at moderating the Natalie debate I can't imagine how it would have gone down at DGR.

I think you're doing a fine job now. I don't think anyone expected the debates to get as heated as they do.

We had plenty of heated debates on DGR, but nothing like these...

I think you're doing a fine job now. I don't think anyone expected the debates to get as heated as they do.

We had plenty of heated debates on DGR, but nothing like these...

I don't know about that statement. My recollection of the place was that there was a flame war pretty much everyday. The complain about DGCR thread, rampant homophobia, etc. on that forum was hideous. There was good information there but it was also kind of the wild west. The mods here and the forums here are vastly superior and always have been in my opinion.

I always liked Frank D and I still do but he was the worst mod of all time. Even worse than me! :popcorn:

I don't know about that statement. My recollection of the place was that there was a flame war pretty much everyday. The complain about DGCR thread, rampant homophobia, etc. on that forum was hideous. There was good information there but it was also kind of the wild west. The mods here and the forums here are vastly superior and always have been in my opinion.
Went to the DGR forum archive out of nostalgia upon reading some of these posts. Decided to search my own username to see what conversations I was getting into.

First two things that came up: frank d and homophobic chatter.

Frank D: Apparently beat us all at Fantasy Football the first time he ever played.
Homophobia: Another person in that thread was gloating about his prowess by calling us, derisively, a bunch of homos.

So... um... wasn't going there to confirm what you said, but.... yeah, both Frank D and homophobia may have (separately I assume, I don't know Frank D) been pretty prominent characteristics of DGR.

Fair enough. I stopped going there before I stopped playing competitive golf, so my memories may be incomplete even before compensating for degradation due to time...

Went to the DGR forum archive out of nostalgia upon reading some of these posts. Decided to search my own username to see what conversations I was getting into.

First two things that came up: frank d and homophobic chatter.

Frank D: Apparently beat us all at Fantasy Football the first time he ever played.
Homophobia: Another person in that thread was gloating about his prowess by calling us, derisively, a bunch of homos.

So... um... wasn't going there to confirm what you said, but.... yeah, both Frank D and homophobia may have (separately I assume, I don't know Frank D) been pretty prominent characteristics of DGR.
Frank used to try to trigger people with homoerotic statements, and then call you homophobic if you reacted to it. veganray had kinda the same schtick, except Frank came at it from more of a "gay romance novel" approach and veganray was more of a "script of a prison gang rape scene" approach.

Neither way aged well. :\

As far as the real people go, I don't think I'd call either one homophobic. I think they were trying to be funny, and gay jokes were still acceptable in 2008. Going back and looking at it by today's standards is kinda cringe, but we were not really trying to offend anybody.

From my experience moderating, a lot of trolls really think they are being funny and their posts are funny...to them. There is a reason we are not making a living in comedy, we just are not all that funny. So they think they are a hoot, but they are really just annoying the rest of us.

It was def sketchy but forum moderation was almost considered censorship back then.
DGR was where the 'sexiest woman thread' had guys posting picks of their nightly hookups IIRC in various stages of undress. Blake had some great early breakdown of form but no slo-mo made working from the hit backward really hard for me. The PDGA forum was mostly Lyle, the Lizard lawyer, and Dave D being grumpy.

Good times.

Latest posts