• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Udisc vs DGR

This article definitely has some incorrect information, but you still might find it worth your time.

It's another half a$$ article by the writer. Either he has never throughly gone through DGCR or he's being deceptive to prove his personal choice of the "trendy app".

Welcome! Being that this is DGCR, you will undoubtedly get biased responses. :D

In general, I second what ru4por said. I use DGCR the most, but UDisc and DGScene are both also useful resources.

UDisc = best for:
- Seeing what courses exist (it has the largest user base by far plus no real standards or quality control, so the result is the largest directory of disc golf places).
- Knowing what the course conditions are likely to be before visiting a course (again, due to it having the largest user base).
- Getting a map of the course via the layout section. Many new courses do not have maps or navigational signage available on site, because they assume that people will be using UDisc. I think it's common to encounter newer/local players or course staff who only know of UDisc, as you did.

DGCR = best for:
- Getting quality information about courses. On UDisc, you'll rarely find a course rated below about 3.5 out of 5, and rarely find a review that is more than a couple of sentences long. Here, you can expect ratings that use the entire 0-5 scale plus lengthy, in-depth reviews backing those ratings up that often go into detail about the hole design, course infrastructure, etc.
- Planning a trip. Because the reviews and ratings are higher quality, the result is that it is a lot easier to determine which courses are the best in the area. You can also read a few reviews here and actually know what to expect from an area's courses ahead of time. Is the course a hilly workout, or an easy walk in the park that you could bring a non-DGer to? Is the cell service spotty? Good DGCR reviews often cover that sort of detailed information.

DGScene = best for:
- Getting tournament and league schedules. I now check UDisc for this as well, but like ru4por said at least around here in Michigan DGScene is still the most reliable place to see if there is going to be a league or tournament conflicting with the day/time that I want to visit a course.

Hope that helps
Agree. I use DGCR to find courses in an area where I will be traveling to get the lowdown on the pros and cons and decide which courses I will actually play, based on the reviews. With UDisc, I'm primarily using the course maps/layouts and the measured throws. As stated by others, Disc Golf Scene is the best place to find out about tournaments in advance and avoid conflicts with said. You can also use the event search on the PDGA website, but it seems like tournaments show up first in Disc Golf Scene because that's where everybody registers for events.