• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Unique molds

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Seems to me that these are rare. For every Zone there's a Harp: how many Destroyer clones are there? We know the marketing blips, "holds the flight into the ground," "forward penetrating fade," "straightest flyer."

That might be the purpose of the Tilt, obviously not a lot of discs that fly like that.

Anyhoo, what are some molds you find unique?

For me it is the discontinued Trident from Lat 64. Blunt edge, flat, driver form factor with an OS mid flight. Mine are mainly baseline Retro Burst, but they haven't changed much despite the tree hits and other abuse.

Banshee in premium plastic is close. Baseline? Fuggetaboutit.

Banshee in premium plastic is close. Baseline? Fuggetaboutit.
In contrast: That's the nice thing about baseline Banshees, they fly like premium plastic Teebirds but are more grippy. ;-)

Why would anyone want unique molds to exist? For manufacturers, their own unique molds are good to draw pro players into a sponsorship, but for anyone else they are bad, because they reduce our choices as players. For sponsored players the situation is even worse as they are kept from throwing some discs that have unique flights. Hence, I'm glad that for most molds there are alternatives that are just as good.

Kastaplast's Berg, Rask and Kaxe (Z). Rask's flight may not be wholly unique but the grip with the 2nd toer of rim is. Kaxe (and the Z version) are the truest mid/fairway hybrid I know of; relatively small diameter, sharper nose than most any mid but blunter than most drivers, wider rim than every true mid but narrower than a Leopard.

Innova's Sonic. A smaller diameter catch disc.

In a similar vein is Latitude 64's Bite. A dog disc in premium plastic that's pdga approved.

Stego for obvious reasons.

Edit: There are others I can think of that don't fit a particular standard slot and I don't have a comparison for, but most of those are just older molds that still get made now and then and don't fit into the modern design philosophy.

Last edited:
stratus? is there anything else out there that flies like a stratus right out of the box?

stratus? is there anything else out there that flies like a stratus right out of the box?

Cobra and Rattler/Upshot, respectively.

Nothing is exactly the same but those comparisons are as close as the Teebird/Rival, premium Roc/Ghost/Wasp, Surge/Wraith, Mongoose/Sidewinder, Magnet/Clutch/Titanic, etc.

Looks like after older companies ran out of their patents there is no stopping the copy beast (not a bad thing!). But yeah the best most purchased molds get copied...wonder why.

Predator comes to mind (reminder that Tsunami is OG Pred mold)
Dominator (though Viking also has "bullet" wing, I think)
Ching Juju

Aerobie Epic is one of a kind so I've been told. The rim is asymmetrical and it may be the greatest overhand disc in existence

Aerobie Epic is one of a kind so I've been told. The rim is asymmetrical and it may be the greatest overhand disc in existence

It's actually not that great overhand actually. I used to have one and it didn't do anything any other disc wouldn't do. Definitely unique though.

RPM Piwakawaka. It's like a beadless Discraft Stratus but in their most stable plastic(Cosmic) it's probably the most magic US midrange ever made. Turns but never burns, goes 350' all day for me and has more glide than any mid out there.