• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Unnecessary Innova discs?

I think lots of people agree on the "classic" Innova molds, but very few agree on the "bad" molds (other than the Groove and Dominator). The true classics are Roc, Aviar, Teebird, Firebird, and Destroyer like Mentos said. Some variation of most of those molds are in almost every Advanced to Pro level Innova player's bag.

I'd say on the next level down are the Rhyno, Leopard, Tern, Shryke, Wraith, Thunderbird, Valkyrie, Eagle, Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Gator, and Mako. There again, I'm sure lots of people probably disagree with me and want to add one disc or another to that level because they throw it. But I think those are the great molds because they seem to be the most popular with the most players after the classic molds.

Lots of Innova's other molds are still good, just maybe not as suitable for as broad a range of players as the others. I love Pigs and they have a dedicated following, but they definitely don't have the following of the Rhyno or Gator, so I wouldn't put them on the same level.

Bottom line though: throw what feels comfortable and gets the job done for you. It's nice to try out the classics and the most popular molds, but what suits Paul McBeth may not suit you, so throw whatever works for your own game and don't worry about which molds are the "bad" molds. A lot of people say the Wolf is terrible, but then someone will chime in and talk about how much they like it for certain shots.

I happen to like the Monarch. I had 3 in very similar weights and they all performed for me. Buddy of mine liked throwing one so much I gave him one.
Never have thrown a Groove.
But previous posts are correct, it's what works for you.
Put your time into a disc and see what you can make it do.

I might need to try the shryke. Does anyone throw it forehand?

I have thrown it and do throw it forehand and if you have proper form (without too much OAT) you can bomb a Shryke for a ton of D... same with the Daedalus. You just have to know that it will have a healthy amount of turn, but it will fade back like I say, if the form is proper. Just don't throw it into a headwind..

Last edited:
Champ Katana
Champ Boss
Champ Beast-x
Champ Ape
Gstar Destroyer
Star Wraith
Star X-Cal
Star Tee-Bird
Champ Roc3
Atlas
Star Foxbat
!

Nothing I would pick on. Star teebirds and champ roc3s are dirty good money as they season. Huckers lose a few of those discs often, so used market on those wide rim drivers is buyer friendly. I'm pretty familiar with all of them other than the Foxbat and I am a softie on neutralish mids/approach discs.

If I want to rant.,, With a modern look towards Innova, I personally think plus molds are unnecessary garbage, V-tech is definitively unnecessary garbage, and that one should be very wary of '3' molds.

If I want to rant.,, With a modern look towards Innova, I personally think plus molds are unnecessary garbage, V-tech is definitively unnecessary garbage, and that one should be very wary of '3' molds.

Must respectfully disagree about the "3" molds. I don't know what the Wombat3 is about, but the other "3" molds are really good discs. If they'd make the TL3 in Star plastic, I'd be bagging it.

Must respectfully disagree about the "3" molds. I don't know what the Wombat3 is about, but the other "3" molds are really good discs. If they'd make the TL3 in Star plastic, I'd be bagging it.

Don't feel like taking pics, but the Legacy icon phenom is EXACTLY the same shape as my gstar TL3. Icon is awesome, too, feels like what I consider "good" star(grippy, and firm without being rock-hard)

None,

All their discs are great. More over all the other disc companies make great discs. Just kidding. If you want to know if a disc is a good fit, throw one. If it goes well for you on the first throw, do it a again. If it continues to go well, put it in your bag.

I stopped looking at numbers and listening to others a few years back and just tested discs. So as for the question of unnecessary discs? Well the fun of this hobby is figuring that out for yourself.

Let's face it, there nothing more fun than watching a buddy try to work a disc into his bag that he/she clearly can't throw. Your part in all this is to keep things positive so you can watch them lose their mind just before they work out the disc is a bad fit......The mid-round meltdown is the best part.....

kinda off topic, but what is it about the groove that makes it such a laughingstock? I've never thrown one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

They really do kinda suck

It's been said that if you find one in the bushes, it's not lost, but thrown away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any disc works.

Sure some people might think certain molds are superior but then you run into that guy banging turbo putts with a katana from 35' and just say F it.

I dont think there are too many "bad" molds even some weird ones but a select few dont fly well. Innova wolf comes to mind. Your list is fine though.

I have a buddy who swears by his Wolf. Its a first run in D plastic, and its SUPER beat in, but it always does what he wants. Says he'll never take that out of his bag.

I have a buddy who swears by his Wolf. Its a first run in D plastic, and its SUPER beat in, but it always does what he wants. Says he'll never take that out of his bag.

Yeah doesnt surprise me. There is a disc for everyone these days and like I said they all can work. I knowni made vipers and a groove do some weird **** and played fine lol.

Don't feel like taking pics, but the Legacy icon phenom is EXACTLY the same shape as my gstar TL3. Icon is awesome, too, feels like what I consider "good" star(grippy, and firm without being rock-hard)

I have an Icon Patriot, and I love the plastic. I agree about it being "good" Star, and something like "good" Gold Line, as well. I'll have to check out the Phenom...

Asked:
kinda off topic, but what is it about the groove that makes it such a laughingstock? I've never thrown one.

Answered:
The issue with the Groove is not that you can't take one and find a use for it. The issue is that some Grooves are overstable, some are flippy, some have glide, some drop like a brick, etc. That's not terribly uncommon, but in most discs that are inconsistent you can find a tell; the domey ones suck or the flat ones suck or the ones with the flatter wing fly less stable or look at the PLH...SOMETHING gives you a clue as to what the disc is going to fly like to help a player with some experience find the one that will fit his needs. The Groove doesn't. Two discs that look identical will fly differently. You just have to buy one and hope it's going to fly the way you want it to. Nobody wants to do that. It's that "every one is a unique snowflake of suck" quality that people hate.

If you have one that you like, or you like buying discs that you have no way of knowing how they will fly, the Groove is a fine disc. I'm just not going to throw my money away like that when there are other discs that I can buy and I do know what they will fly like.

The Original Glow Groove (I guess that makes it a 1st Run Glow Groove):
picture.php

(2011 Ohio DGCR Meet: Sept. 23rd, 24th & 25th)

I think lots of people agree on the "classic" Innova molds, but very few agree on the "bad" molds (other than the Groove and Dominator). The true classics are Roc, Aviar, Teebird, Firebird, and Destroyer like Mentos said. Some variation of most of those molds are in almost every Advanced to Pro level Innova player's bag.

I'd say on the next level down are the Rhyno, Leopard, Tern, Shryke, Wraith, Thunderbird, Valkyrie, Eagle, Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Gator, and Mako. There again, I'm sure lots of people probably disagree with me and want to add one disc or another to that level because they throw it. But I think those are the great molds because they seem to be the most popular with the most players after the classic molds.

bro, wraith and leopard would like to have a chat with you.

Leopard came out 8 years before the destroyer. And the wraith came out before the destroyer too :p

Those may be the modern staples but if you say classic gotta put wraith/leopard on the top shelf rather than the shryke which has been out for like 5 minutes

I find all of the V tech discs to be superfluous.

But the only thing I can not stand is the Dominator.

It's like a Destroyer, but worse.

bro, wraith and leopard would like to have a chat with you.

Leopard came out 8 years before the destroyer. And the wraith came out before the destroyer too :p

Those may be the modern staples but if you say classic gotta put wraith/leopard on the top shelf rather than the shryke which has been out for like 5 minutes

Haha, I was waiting for this to happen. I didn't mean classic in terms of old, I meant classic in terms of enduring the test of time. Way more advanced to pro level players bag Destroyers than Wraiths these days (and that's been true for years now). I put the Shryke in level 2 just like the Wraith because even though the Shryke is a very new disc, I've seen it recently in way more pro bags than Wraiths. It's certainly not a classic though. You can't tell what is a classic until it's been around for a while. Maybe it's too soon to even put the Shryke in level 2 though; that's certainly arguable. This is just me classifying things according to my own criteria. My last point was that every disc is good for someone and you get to decide for yourself what the great molds for you are.

Haha, I was waiting for this to happen. I didn't mean classic in terms of old, I meant classic in terms of enduring the test of time. Way more advanced to pro level players bag Destroyers than Wraiths these days (and that's been true for years now). I put the Shryke in level 2 just like the Wraith because even though the Shryke is a very new disc, I've seen it recently in way more pro bags than Wraiths. It's certainly not a classic though. You can't tell what is a classic until it's been around for a while. Maybe it's too soon to even put the Shryke in level 2 though; that's certainly arguable. This is just me classifying things according to my own criteria. My last point was that every disc is good for someone and you get to decide for yourself what the great molds for you are.

Sorry to be that guy haha. The reason I wouldn't put something like Shryke in there is because first it was the krait...then the tern...now the shryke. In my opinion the classics are the discs that don't get replaced by the flavor of the month.

You are definitely right about the wraith though, most people (seemingly all) bag the destroyer of the wraith...

Does anyone on the MPO bag wraiths?

Latest posts