• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Unnecessary Innova discs?

With 160-165 Wraiths, I out drive 9/10 advanced ams throwing Destroyers. Honestly, if you can't get a fairway out to 350', you probably have no business bagging the big D, especially max weight. Give me a 15 mph head wind and I'll break out a Destroyer.

But hey, far be it from me to correct the DG universe and cut into my prize winnings lol

Last edited:
Sorry to be that guy haha. The reason I wouldn't put something like Shryke in there is because first it was the krait...then the tern...now the shryke. In my opinion the classics are the discs that don't get replaced by the flavor of the month.

You are definitely right about the wraith though, most people (seemingly all) bag the destroyer of the wraith...

Does anyone on the MPO bag wraiths?

Ken and Barry

I believe Ken Climo still does. That may not be a fair answer since Climo himself is a "classic". ;)

I think today's big names (and big arms) are past the Wraith, but some pros don't go past Speed 11, so they're likely using Wraiths. I just don't know their names...

I agree the Destroyer is more a "classic" mold than newer stuff like the Shryke or Tern. Don't get me wrong, the Shryke and Tern are great fliers, but time will tell if they make the cut and remain popular. Part of what makes a mold successful is how consistently it can be molded year after year. Destroyers obviously have some variance, but are still wildly popular today, about a decade after the mold was first released. Another thing that can make a mold successful long term is its uniqueness. If Innova releases 3 other discs in 3 years that are just like another mold, it will dilute the popularity of all the molds in question. Almost like having the Beast and Starfire L.

The Tern could end up being a classic. I suppose we'll have to see where it sits in 5 years. Its a good flier in all plastics and definitely has a niche. I'd say the Wraith is a classic mold. its been out over a decade now and is still pretty popular. The Destroyer overshadowed it quite a bit, but there are still tons of Wraiths being thrown today.

Someone mentioned the Krait. I'm a tad bit surprised that disc isn't more popular. Its a damn nice flier. I guess its too much like the Wraith to really stand out though.

Another mold I think could stand the test of time well is the Mamba. In heavier weights those things are nasty long and will hold a good line without flipping over. Almost like a glidier less stable Wraith.

Sorry to be that guy haha. The reason I wouldn't put something like Shryke in there is because first it was the krait...then the tern...now the shryke. In my opinion the classics are the discs that don't get replaced by the flavor of the month.

You are definitely right about the wraith though, most people (seemingly all) bag the destroyer of the wraith...

Yeah I knew someone would disagree. The Shryke is an easy point to disagree on, and it probably doesn't belong in tier 2 yet. Honestly though, I kind of disagree with you on the Krait, Tern, Shryke thing. The Krait was never popular. Even McBeth bagging one for a while didn't make it popular. The Tern is still popular despite the Shryke and I fully expect there to be Shryke people and Tern people out there for a long time to come; I think both are great molds. They feel pretty different in the hand, and I think the Shryke can take more power on lower lines than the Tern can.

Questatement, I'm glad you bag and enjoy throwing Wraiths. It's definitely a great mold. You also seem to have the typical DGCR "I can throw a slower disc further than you, and none of you throw far enough to be throwing distance drivers" mentality which I appreciate less. Enjoy your scrip.

7ontheline, Ken and Barry aren't MPO, they're Men's Masters (and Ken is almost Grandmasters at this point I think). But I would expect there to be more Wraith throwers among the age protected divisions, both because they have typically been playing longer so they grew up with older molds and because they have slower arm speeds.

Questatement, I'm glad you bag and enjoy throwing Wraiths. It's definitely a great mold. You also seem to have the typical DGCR "I can throw a slower disc further than you, and none of you throw far enough to be throwing distance drivers" mentality which I appreciate less. Enjoy your scrip.

I just find it strange that the physics of the game, related to disc vs. release speed with an OS disc, eludes so many after many years of playing and watching others who are able to get them up to speed. It's like having a size 10 foot but wearing a size 13 sneaker when I play basketball because so-n-so pro wears a size 13.

, V-tech is definitively unnecessary garbage, and that one should be very wary of '3' molds.

Haha oh wow

The manta is my favorite mid in years. The vroc2 I just tried (it's a gstar rancho w VTech for those curious) is money. I played many enjoyable rounds last summer w just a dx Vroc. As a cobra guy, duh, I like the vCobra (even if it isn't exactly an Ontario).

The disc3 series though is hit or miss I'll give you that.

I'd say on the next level down are the Rhyno, Leopard, Tern, Shryke, Wraith, Thunderbird, Valkyrie, Eagle, Sidewinder, Roadrunner, Gator, and Mako. There again, I'm sure lots of people probably disagree with me and want to add one disc or another to that level because they throw it. But I think those are the great molds because they seem to be the most popular with the most players after the classic molds.

You forgot the best disc Innova makes, POLECAT!!!!

I just find it strange that the physics of the game, related to disc vs. release speed with an OS disc, eludes so many after many years of playing and watching others who are able to get them up to speed. It's like having a size 10 foot but wearing a size 13 sneaker when I play basketball because so-n-so pro wears a size 13.

Here's the thing: even for people who don't throw fast enough to get them "up to speed," wider rimmed drivers usually go further. I did this experiment with my dad, who is 67 and can throw about 150 feet. He only plays disc golf a few times a year when he comes and visits me. I gave him a lighter star TL, a beat up Roc, and a putter (can't remember which) and we played 18 holes. I asked him to throw the Roc on a bunch of tee shots before or after he threw the TL. I figured that the understable mid would probably go just as far for him as the stable fairway driver since he doesn't throw very far. This seems to be the common wisdom on DGCR. But it's wrong. The TL almost always went 10-20 feet further. It faded out more usually as well, but it also got him further down the fairway, which was easily a stroke saved on longer holes. If I had given him a GStar Tern, he probably would have been hitting 200 feet (I don't own anything that fast and understable, but you get my point).

I realize that a lot of people on here think that you should earn your right to throw fast discs, or that throwing a slower disc will give you more control (unless it's an overstable mid!). It's true that something that is too fast that is thus acting overstable for you will detract from your distance. However, experience has taught me that for slower-armed players, slower discs do not necessarily go further. You just have to find the right combination of speed and understability to fit the arm speed.

Wow Star wraith? Its the noodle arms destroyer. climo, Greg b., kohling, Sarah Cunningham are just a few of the pro's that bag it.

I enjoy it and use it like a destroyer. One of the local advance players and I will throw distance shots and im within 30-60 of his destroyer shots using the wraith on distance lines. Top that off I can trust it into a head wind most of the time.

Personally I'm surprised that a more Pros never got into the Ape. It has good glide for something so OS and the Star ones are a ton like a slightly more OS Shryke, which seems to be very popular now.

Oh well more for me.

The Tern could end up being a classic. I suppose we'll have to see where it sits in 5 years. Its a good flier in all plastics and definitely has a niche. I'd say the Wraith is a classic mold. its been out over a decade now and is still pretty popular. The Destroyer overshadowed it quite a bit, but there are still tons of Wraiths being thrown today.

I'd say the Tern is right up there already. It's a hot seller, right in that niche where amateurs love it and many pros bag it (e.g. Valarie Doss was bagging it before dropping Innova). And companies including Innova are putting out discs they purport to fly "like a Tern." That says something.

Someone mentioned the Krait. I'm a tad bit surprised that disc isn't more popular. Its a damn nice flier. I guess its too much like the Wraith to really stand out though.

I agree, the Krait is great, and I'm surprised it's not more loved. Kind of like Dave Dunipace wondering why the Viking isn't more popular. It was a Paul McBeth sig disc, as well. I would say this disc not being molded in more plastics, particularly Star plastic, is what has held it back. I would note that the CD3's flight numbers are the same as the Krait, as well.

Another mold I think could stand the test of time well is the Mamba. In heavier weights those things are nasty long and will hold a good line without flipping over. Almost like a glidier less stable Wraith.

I have an F2 Star Mamba that is anything but understable, so much so that I've always wondered if it was mislabeled. And then I have two (heavier) Champ Mambas that are very understable. It'll be around for a long time, but it may not be mentioned with the same reverence as the Destroyer.

From what I've seen, I like the Shryke more than the Tern. Similar flights, but I get more distance easily from the Shryke. It's a bit faster and has more glide too. I won't call it an "instant classic", but I think it could be a relevant mold for a long time. Long as Innova doesn't dick it up in the name of "progress".

The Viking sucks the fat one. I don't know why, but I never liked that disc at all. It seemed like a clunky, glideless Valk. The Viking is like a speed 9 Dominator. Redundant and a waste of time.

The Thunderbird is everything the Viking probably tried to be. I think the Thunderbird will be a classic too, if it isn't considered so already. Its an outstanding disc and kind of opened my eyes again to the whole speed 9 group.

I have a max weight champ Mamba that is outstanding. Stable enough to really bomb without flipping. If Innova had released it at the same time they released the Wraith it would have been wildly popular.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, I like the Shryke more than the Tern. Similar flights, but I get more distance easily from the Shryke. It's a bit faster and has more glide too. I won't call it an "instant classic", but I think it could be a relevant mold for a long time. Long as Innova doesn't dick it up in the name of "progress".

I think a lot of pros will put Shrykes in their bags, but noodle-arms like myself might stick with the Tern. Pair up a Champ and Star Tern and a lot of that bag niche is covered. I've yet to get my Star Shryke to work well for me (the Champ Shryke was fine in the wind until the lake ate it).

The Viking sucks the fat one. I don't know why, but I never liked that disc at all. It seemed like a clunky, glideless Valk. The Viking is like a speed 9 Dominator. Redundant and a waste of time.

The Thunderbird is everything the Viking probably tried to be. I think the Thunderbird will be a classic too, if it isn't considered so already. Its an outstanding disc and kind of opened my eyes again to the whole speed 9 group.

I've thrown a DX Viking, and it wasn't too bad. I think its initial problem is that it was too close to the popular Valk, and then the Thunderbird came out and that finished off the Viking as a speed 9 staple. I agree that the Thunderbird (like the Teebird) is going to be a big name for a long, long time.

I have a max weight champ Mamba that is outstanding. Stable enough to really bomb without flipping. If Innova had released it at the same time they released the Wraith it would have been wildly popular.

The Mamba is not going away, fer sure.

Latest posts