• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unwritten Rules?

Conect11

Par Member
So two and a half months into my disc golf craze and I have signed up for my first two tournaments. I'm looking forward to getting my butt handed to me, but am hoping to have fun and meet some awesome / friendly players. Am also looking forward to playing in a charity event that sounds like a good cause, and have to admit I'm excited about getting a player's pack at each one. (is that wrong that I'm curious to see what kind of swag one gets?) I'm wondering though: are there unwritten rules that I should be aware of when it comes to tournament play? I've been reading the official PDGA rules, and my discs are all legit, but I wonder if anyone will fuss about my bag. All it is is a $10 Walmart soft sided cooler. I couldn't see shelling out $40 for a 10 - 15 disc holder when what I have carries 20+ discs and everything I need. (notebook for score sheets, pens, mini markers, sunblock, water) Will having this bag get me penalized? Also, was reading an article in Discgolfer Magazine that stated one of the biggest events of the past decade was the PDGA's requirement that players wear collared shirts. The article stated that it was at first protested, but then intimated that it was S.O.P now. Is that the case for all tourneys, should I have a polo shirt when I play at these things? Sorry for the noob questions, but I figure that while I'm a noob I should ask them. Thanks!

Last edited:
Ams don't need colored shirts.

*edit*

I somewhat take that back.

(3) No tee shirts will be allowed, except for competitors in the Junior and Amateur divisions during preliminary rounds only. Juniors and Amateurs shall not wear tee shirts during semifinal or final rounds. Crew neck or V-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech materials, such as Dry-Fit, Cool-Max, and others will be allowed.

Ams don't need colored shirts.

*edit*

I somewhat take that back.

(3) No tee shirts will be allowed, except for competitors in the Junior and Amateur divisions during preliminary rounds only. Juniors and Amateurs shall not wear tee shirts during semifinal or final rounds. Crew neck or V-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech materials, such as Dry-Fit, Cool-Max, and others will be allowed.

Thanks Zenbot, much appreciated

yes, you need to go purchase a 50+ dollar bag before the event unless you will be disqualified. sorry to have to be the one to break the news

Actually that cooler sounds like a cool (sorry, lol) idea. Does it have compartments? I'm still using my POS backpack, so u got me beat!

Quit it.

Your bag is fine and you don't need to worry about your shirt unless you are playing an a tier or major.

Actually that cooler sounds like a cool (sorry, lol) idea. Does it have compartments? I'm still using my POS backpack, so u got me beat!

I saw it on sale for like $9.88 and thought "This would be perfect!" And surely enough, it works great! :thmbup:

Since it's your first tournament, there are a few unwritten rules.

When you get to the first water hole, you need to throw a disc in there. That's considered good luck.

Also, all first-time players wash the Tournament Director's car, typically during the break between rounds. That's just a nice thing to do, and a fine tradition.

Finally, you may have heard of the "Ring of Fire." This is where you'll be in the middle of a circle of players, all of them firing discs at you simultaneously. Don't worry, most of them won't hit you. Going into the fetal position is considered bad form.

Welcome to the sport!

Just be courteous. Don't talk during other people's shots, stay behind the current thrower, don't stand on the green (10 meter circle around pin)while others are putting,clear your disc from the pin,be ready to take your turn (don't get into a long conversation with another player),and if you have a question, by all means ask.

Since it's your first tournament, there are a few unwritten rules.

When you get to the first water hole, you need to throw a disc in there. That's considered good luck.

Also, all first-time players wash the Tournament Director's car, typically during the break between rounds. That's just a nice thing to do, and a fine tradition.

Finally, you may have heard of the "Ring of Fire." This is where you'll be in the middle of a circle of players, all of them firing discs at you simultaneously. Don't worry, most of them won't hit you. Going into the fetal position is considered bad form.

Welcome to the sport!

I probably deserved that :doh:

Just be courteous. Don't talk during other people's shots, stay behind the current thrower, don't stand on the green (10 meter circle around pin)while others are putting,clear your disc from the pin,be ready to take your turn (don't get into a long conversation with another player),and if you have a question, by all means ask.

thanks peabody, I appreciate it.

Since it's your first tournament, there are a few unwritten rules....

Welcome to the sport!

lol, i gotta remember that when i talk to locals going to their first tourney.

well played :D

/curious though that packs are being given out at a charity event, 'tis not the norm around these parts...

lol, i gotta remember that when i talk to locals going to their first tourney.

well played :D

/curious though that packs are being given out at a charity event, 'tis not the norm around these parts...

I have no idea what is customary when it comes to that sort of thing. Not complaining, though.

yes!!! i use a cooler too! even though yours is cheap, it still sounds a little more high end than mine haha. i used to use standard white plastic grocery sacks doubled up and just get new ones when they would wear out. it was the epitome of chintzy. enjoy your tourneys!!!!!!!!!!!

yes!!! i use a cooler too! even though yours is cheap, it still sounds a little more high end than mine haha. i used to use standard white plastic grocery sacks doubled up and just get new ones when they would wear out. it was the epitome of chintzy. enjoy your tourneys!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! My friend Dan uses the grocery sacks too, lol.