• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upgrading to backpack bag

Rumbold

I've done a ton of research about different brands and styles of backpack bags, but no single one stands out to me. Maybe I'm overlooking something or searching for a bag that isn't on the market. I'm hoping that I can get some insight and suggestions on a bag that suits me. I have gripes with every bag. I hope that by laying out what I like and dislike it will give a clearer picture of what I'm looking for.

Lb Octothorpe:
Pros: Comfortable, Build Quality, Design, Weight
Cons: Huge, Tips easily, Rain Fly not included​
UPD Shift:
Pros: Size, Comfortable, Build Quality, Weight
Cons: No small pockets, Weird design, No putter pockets​
Grip B15:
Pros: Build quality, Extra pockets
Cons: No room for hoodie, Rainfly not included​
Lat 64 Luxury E3/DD Ranger:
Pros: Extra pockets, Putter pocket on side
Cons: Too big, Ugly​
Voodoo ST3:
Pros: Comfortable, Build Quality, Design, Weight, Size
Cons: No small pockets, No room for hoodie​

I currently carry about 12 discs (because that's all I have), but I plan to start building out my bag ending up with 20-22 discs total. The most important things to me are build quality and long-term comfort. I like having the putter pockets on the side, but it's probably something I can live without. I also prefer to keep my bag very organized where each item has its own pocket opposed to the pockets within larger pockets. A pocket for my phone, one for my keys and wallet, another for snacks, another for a birdie bag. This is why you'll see cons for no small pockets.

Maybe someone who owns one or a few of these could give a little comparison or let me know if any of my cons are invalid. I'm also open to other suggestions if there's something I've overlooked!

I notice you have the UPD Shift listed, but not the Rebel.
The Rebel would come closer to addressing your needs as listed near the end of your post than would the Shift. As far as either, the top vertical storage sleeve works well as a "putter pouch" in my experience. It is also quite light and quite comfortable, and from what I understand, the side pockets are much larger on the latest version.

I'm not entirely sure the perfect bag exists for each individual, really. I think you have to figure out which one is closest - ie, which cons are the least problematic over the long haul.

I notice you have the UPD Shift listed, but not the Rebel.
The Rebel would come closer to addressing your needs as listed near the end of your post than would the Shift. As far as either, the top vertical storage sleeve works well as a "putter pouch" in my experience. It is also quite light and quite comfortable, and from what I understand, the side pockets are much larger on the latest version.

I'm not entirely sure the perfect bag exists for each individual, really. I think you have to figure out which one is closest - ie, which cons are the least problematic over the long haul.
I was actually just looking at that bag earlier. Not sure why, but I thought that bag was much larger, like 25-28 discs before the side pockets. It definitely one to consider, especially if the side pockets are large. It's a good compromise. I'm still interested in some of the bags above because I prefer the traditional design, but I shouldn't have counted the rebel out.

The Rebel will hold more, but it holds less very well also. It won't deform or be a mess if you're not at max capacity.

One plus on the Rebel, to me, is ease of getting your discs out. My Grip A-Series can be a bit of pain with the way the opening is shaped.

Good luck in your search. :)

Another Rebel upvote here! It's sturdy, well-made, can hold a lot or a little, and is comfortable and well-padded. Looks great, too. I looked at a lot of bags before I bought it. I have a friend who loves his DD Commander, which is a bag I considered, also. I went with the Rebel because the padding was better and the overall look was better.

I believe that for carrying a bunch of small items and particularly electronics in wet weather, with a waterproof box in you bag is the way to go. ... maybe safest in case of bag falling into water

Also adding small pockets, loops, grommets, Velcro,, etc is pretty not very difficult if you have a friend / family member with modest skills.

Last edited:
Shift has no putter pockets? The four pockets on the sides are perfect putter pockets. I used the right-hand side to store four putters (driving/approach putter, long putter, 2x putting putters) and could easily reach back while still wearing the back and grab a putter.

Shift has no putter pockets? The four pockets on the sides are perfect putter pockets. I used the right-hand side to store four putters (driving/approach putter, long putter, 2x putting putters) and could easily reach back while still wearing the back and grab a putter.
That's true, they do kind of fall into the side putter pockets category. I just viewed them as a main part of the storage on the bag so I said it didn't have a dedicated putter pocket.

RidgeRoller.com The Ridge backpack with a integrated seat tons of storage! ! High quality backpack we used the best Materials and still kept the price reasonable and if you ever wanted a cart The Ridge straps right into the The Roller USA made. There is still time to receive the early preorder shipment... Thanks check it out Joe

Don't be spooked by the size of the Octothorpe. From your list, it is by far the highest quality & highest functioning bag. These bags are not cheap, and from the way you speak, I feel you'd be itching to upgrade again as you build out your bag.

Personally, I have gone: UPD Rebel ---> Millennium Flak4 (current) ---> Pound Octohaul (pre-order).

I was not impressed with the build quality on Rebels. Shifts were a bit better, but too small. I LOVE the design and capacity of my Flak4, but the seams have started separating after 2 seasons of moderate use.

IMO, Levi @ Pound has developed the current standard for build quality, design, and functionality. With the lifetime warranty, Pound bags are the lowest risk, highest quality investment one can make within the Disc Golf Bag market.

Don't be spooked by the size of the Octothorpe. From your list, it is by far the highest quality & highest functioning bag. These bags are not cheap, and from the way you speak, I feel you'd be itching to upgrade again as you build out your bag.

Personally, I have gone: UPD Rebel ---> Millennium Flak4 (current) ---> Pound Octohaul (pre-order).

I was not impressed with the build quality on Rebels. Shifts were a bit better, but too small. I LOVE the design and capacity of my Flak4, but the seams have started separating after 2 seasons of moderate use.

IMO, Levi @ Pound has developed the current standard for build quality, design, and functionality. With the lifetime warranty, Pound bags are the lowest risk, highest quality investment one can make within the Disc Golf Bag market.

100% what this guy said, I outgrew the Grip B-series(excellent bag for 18 or so discs) and got a Rebel. Though it's a good bag, I don't get all the hype as I felt my Grip was much better on quality and didn't notice any improvement in comfort while carrying. I ended up selling my Rebel(again good bag) and packing a little lighter and carrying my grip again. Right now I'm waiting on my Octothorpe to get here, I'll let you know how that goes.

100% what this guy said, I outgrew the Grip B-series(excellent bag for 18 or so discs) and got a Rebel. Though it's a good bag, I don't get all the hype as I felt my Grip was much better on quality and didn't notice any improvement in comfort while carrying. I ended up selling my Rebel(again good bag) and packing a little lighter and carrying my grip again. Right now I'm waiting on my Octothorpe to get here, I'll let you know how that goes.

I was really between the B15, the Rebel and the Spinal Tap 3. I know the Octothorpe is a great bag, my biggest concern is that I wouldn't be able to fill it.

Maybe after you guys get your your can let me know how many discs you have in the bag and how they fill it out as well as hope the comfort and quality compare to UPD and Grip. I know those questions have both been answered elsewhere, but I would appreciate it in context to my situation. Thanks for your input!

Will do bud. I also only plan on carrying 21-22 discs. But I like throwing putters, so a lot of space will be taken by aviar 3's, novas, and a rhyno.

Have you looked at any of the dynamic bags? 90% of the guys I play with are using theirs. I have the Soldier bag, a buddy of mine has the sniper bag, and another friend is rocking a recruit bag. All of which have held up extremely well and are exceptional quality.

just my 0.02

Have you looked at any of the dynamic bags? 90% of the guys I play with are using theirs. I have the Soldier bag, a buddy of mine has the sniper bag, and another friend is rocking a recruit bag. All of which have held up extremely well and are exceptional quality.

just my 0.02
I took a look at the DD bags. My biggest issue with most of them is the lack of extra storage for things like keys, wallet, phone, golf balls etc. The only one I'd really consider is the Ranger bag and I just think for the price it's not worth it.

If you don't want to carry max capacity in the main compartment, folding up towels or filling voids with Tupperware or something works quite well.

rebel v4 rocks. More side storage and stiffer sidewalls. Rebel and ## (pound octothorpe) are the only big bags where the back is contoured to your spine like what you would find at your local REI. That makes them the only two choices imo. With a rainfly, the Rebel is $150 cheaper.

rebel v4 rocks. More side storage and stiffer sidewalls. Rebel and ## (pound octothorpe) are the only big bags where the back is contoured to your spine like what you would find at your local REI. That makes them the only two choices imo. With a rainfly, the Rebel is $150 cheaper.
Thanks for the input! I'm happy to hear about the rebels storage

I took a look at the DD bags. My biggest issue with most of them is the lack of extra storage for things like keys, wallet, phone, golf balls etc. The only one I'd really consider is the Ranger bag and I just think for the price it's not worth it.

I have the ranger bag, i misquoted earlier. But the Sniper is also quite roomy. The ranger bag fits my bug spray, sanding block, wallet and keys, cell phone, first aid kit, aspirin, lighters, chapstick, 2 mini's, travel tissues, 2 towels, 2 pencils, pocket knife, and thats all w/o touching the disc pouches.

It also has a dedicated pouch for your stool, a large beverage pocket for even the largest nalgene bottle, and a 2 disc putter pocket on the other side. They're a bit pricey, but websites like Jet have them for a reasonable price with discounts for first time buyers. I think I paid less than $150 for mine.

Latest posts