• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

I've never tried the Ergo but the shift is probably less clunky.

For me, it was between the shift and the grip mini (whatever it's called). Not sure which would have been better but the shift works. I like that it forces me to carry less crap.

I tend to subscribe to the "less crap" ideal, as well, but I want something that can hold a little more than the Juju. Doing a trip to Tahoe in September and would like something that can hold enough for a couple rounds per day, but not be difficult to get in and out of by the end of the day.

I just got my new Shift in the mail last week - and I love it. I carry 8 drivers in the side pockets, three putters upper middle and three mid-range beneath them. It could hold more, but that's all I need and then some. There's a good bit of space below the middle disc portion of the bag, I toss wallet, towels, shirts, food - extra liquids - etc in there without issue. I haven't even used the pockets on the waistline yet. I absolutely love the space for the mini at the top of the bag - and I keep my phone in it. Perfect fit. The discs are all easy to get to. The bag is much more steady than I thought it would be. The best part - comfort! The padding is insane and the bag tilts away from your shoulders when you wear it. I've only played three rounds with it so far, but it's fantastic. I don't play tournaments - quit doing that a long time ago - I just play for fun, and this bag is light and designed well. Great bag. Wes Long

That actually sounds like a nice setup. You still have the bottom sleeve open then, right? I imagine that makes the storage space even better.

How do the putters do up top? I figure that's the best place to keep them.

Got my Rebel V2 out last weekend. Love the bag so far. It makes a great cart bag too. I could get a jacket in one of the side storage pockets. On my cart loaded with 27 discs:

Rebelv2.jpg

My new Rebel is supposed to be delivered today! Stoked to check it out! I will say that Upper Park Designs were INSTANTLY on top of my order, even though I placed it later in the evening. I got the Ship notification early the next morning and I have only waited 2 1/2 days with it scheduled to show TODAY. They are Fast. Kudos for that!

I haven't found stability to be an issue, and one of my regular courses is pretty hilly. I do have to be conscientious of how I set it down (with the bottle holder facing downhill), but generally it stays upright fine. It's definitely more stable than my Simian was, I'll say that much.

Ranger's talking about the Shift.

And fwiw, I agree with him. A Grip A-series and a Ranger are both a bit more stable.
(I've never really had a problem with any bag, necessarily, if I'm cognizant of how I set it down. But I do see his point with the Shift.)

Got my Rebel V2 out last weekend. Love the bag so far. It makes a great cart bag too. I could get a jacket in one of the side storage pockets. On my cart loaded with 27 discs:

Rebelv2.jpg

Hey Tarpon6, what kind/brand of cart is that? I dig the 4 wheels over two idea...:clap:

I got to try a Shift on this week after a buddy ordered it... 6 Putters and 16 driving discs - still comfortable as anything to carry.

I was especially impressed with how the disc pockets expanded to snuggly fit the discs, but, did not seem stretched, over-encumbered, nor compress the discs. Very good design to hold the discs in place, without being so tight you worry about warping. Even better was the accessibility of the vertical storage. The bag sat easily on level ground and there was no digging in a pocket of horizontal lineups, no fumbling through a few discs to find the mold you want (I didn't know his molds/colors) and no issue of placing the disc back into the right order. There are so many separated pockets and everything is readily visible... I was very impressed.

Again, the comfort though... At the great price point, I must have one.

Ranger's talking about the Shift.

And fwiw, I agree with him. A Grip A-series and a Ranger are both a bit more stable.
(I've never really had a problem with any bag, necessarily, if I'm cognizant of how I set it down. But I do see his point with the Shift.)

yes, shift

Got my new Focus today. Great bag. I was able to fit in 8 discs with 1.5 liters of water. Nice bag. My son uses the Shift and he really loves it. Question: does anyone know what the ladder lock buckle in the hydration area is used for? There is a small pocket at the top of this area when you unzip it. There is a ladder lock buckle there. I can't for the life of me understand what would be attached there. It would have to be something with 1-inch webbing. I could certainly use the pocket to stash something, but the buckle has confused me. Great workmanship and definitely looking forward to using it this summer.

Any other Focus owners out there know what this ladder lock buckle and pocket inside the hydration section of the bag is used for?

Any other Focus owners out there know what this ladder lock buckle and pocket inside the hydration section of the bag is used for?

The clip at the top is for camelbacks. On the bladder there is a hook which fastens to the clip at the top of the bag so the bladder always stays in place as it gets empty. The pocket is just there for your keys/wallet or whatever. You can see the hook I'm referring to at the top of the round opening.
61upWwS5keL._SL1000_.jpg

The clip at the top is for camelbacks. On the bladder there is a hook which fastens to the clip at the top of the bag so the bladder always stays in place as it gets empty. The pocket is just there for your keys/wallet or whatever. You can see the hook I'm referring to at the top of the round opening.
61upWwS5keL._SL1000_.jpg

Thanks. That is what I thought but these hooks do not fit in the ladder locks. These are designed for flat webbing. The Hydropak I bought from UpperPark also has a hook at the top but it also does not fit this ladder lock. The one in the picture you supplied is also too thick to fit in this ladder lock. I am not sure if they designed it to have a wider one that a bladder could be hooked into and this is what was supplied to them. Either way, I know of know bladder system that will hook into this buckle. If that is what is was designed for then there was a goof up in the hardware that was spec'ed during manufacturing.

I got to try a Shift on this week after a buddy ordered it... 6 Putters and 16 driving discs - still comfortable as anything to carry.

I was especially impressed with how the disc pockets expanded to snuggly fit the discs, but, did not seem stretched, over-encumbered, nor compress the discs. Very good design to hold the discs in place, without being so tight you worry about warping. Even better was the accessibility of the vertical storage. The bag sat easily on level ground and there was no digging in a pocket of horizontal lineups, no fumbling through a few discs to find the mold you want (I didn't know his molds/colors) and no issue of placing the disc back into the right order. There are so many separated pockets and everything is readily visible... I was very impressed.

Again, the comfort though... At the great price point, I must have one.

You sure it was a Shift and not a Rebel? 22 discs seems like a lot to cram in there.

You're right it is a little wide for the hook on the bladder. I never noticed that eventho I always use mine. The way I have mine in the photo seems to work just fine. It never comes unhooked.
Image-2.jpg